Retired Living in Coronado

Well this is our third and final trip to Panama as we are now living here permanently, and about to start the visa application next week. We are renting a lovely home, have a golf membership enoying playing golf 3 times a week. It takes a while to get organized, just bought a car. Expats here very friendly and helpful. Going to the happy hours is a great way to meet some new people. Just remember this is not North America everything goes a lot slower pace here and you have to have patience. Definately knowing Spanish is helpful you do not need to be fluent. There are a few grocery stores to choose from selling North American products. Defiinately purchase Magic Jack as you can call from
Canada and USA free.

We're excited for you guys in your new adventure, Jane! Sounds as if you are settling right in.

My family and I are taking the plunge in August. Thanks for the advice about happy hour. Would love to hear how your car buying experience goes.
Good luck!

There are several expats in the Coronado area, who can get you a car, we rented the first week  all depends on your budget of course.

Hello from Texas
We want to relocate to Panama
Can we get info on affordable golf with an established regular game and would like to be near coast
Have many more questions but will start with these
Thanks in advance for your help
Marc

The Happy Hour move every night to a new location about 3-4 nights a week.  Don't try and make the snacks offered your dinner because some of those American/Canadians retirees are half starved when they show up and will run you over!

We are members of Coronado golf and beach resort we golf three tImes a week they are working on golf course every day , Coronado is a great community very friendly expats lots of good grocery stores and a good selection of restaurants. There is very little that you can not buy here. You have to have a lot of patience as they say here TIP this is Panama. If you are expecting the same pace as North America it is not going to happen life is a slower pace and once you adopt that mentality life is great. We are just starting our Pensionada Visa process and should have that completed soon.
We love the climate even though it is the rain season it is quite humid at the moment but you get used to it.

As they say we are living the dream

If you want to contact us when you are here send us a private message

Hi all...thinking about moving to Coronado. How would my wife and I do on a $5,000.00 a month pension? Thanks!

Depends on what your requirements are for an acceptable living standard.

My wife and I are living on our pensions only and our total expenses per month including rent, utilities, car expenses, food etc are less than $3,000. Likely most North Americans would find that to be around the lower limit of the lifestyle they want. We can live on that because we have an extremely low rate on the condo (below market value)  we are renting. We do almost all our own cooking.

For living in the Coronado area, the sky is the limit if you pay a full market price for a nice condo and eat out a lot.

Thanks for the response!! Just started doing research on Coronado and thinking about taking a trip there soon to check it out. IF we like it, we'd probably move there within the next 8 months. We live a fairly simple life here and are looking forward to a tropical, slow paced change.

Take an advance trip first! See my previous posts on Coronado. I have a similar budget as you and decided against it. Why are you opposed to Flagstaff, Prescott or Sedona? If you need the beach what about Rocky Pointt, MX?

Thanks for responding. We just wanted a little adventure in our lives, something tropical. Getting tired of the politics in this country also. You give off some negative vibes about it. Is it just Coronado or all of Panama? We really want to know the truth about what we are getting ourselves into.

LTMIKE5 wrote:

Thanks for responding. We just wanted a little adventure in our lives, something tropical. Getting tired of the politics in this country also. You give off some negative vibes about it. Is it just Coronado or all of Panama? We really want to know the truth about what we are getting ourselves into.

You'll have to discover for yourselves whether you can live in Panama - everyone is different and often don't know what aspect of life anywhere doesn't bother them or drives them crazy until they experience it.  Tell us how your trip goes.

I liked Panama City but it's comparable to major U.S. City price wise and not near the beach Cotonado beach is not easy to access

Will do.

Coronado is not a town per se, but rather describes a general area that derives its name from the Coronado developments.  It is NOT a beach-side type community where you basically have ocean, beach, a malecon walkway and nearby shops, restaurants, condos and other residential living - where you walk everywhere and stumble home. You need to get in your car and drive to the stores and restaurants and hike to the beach or drive golf carts.  If you don't live in a Coronado development, you'll need other access points to the beach. A lot of people say they live in Coronado but are not close to the ocean necessarily.  You'll see.

The beach community I describe does not exist in Panama.

Agree with everything written in the previous post Coronado is a hodge podge collection of people properties and North American inclined merchants

"hodge podge" is a correct and accurate description. I visited the area for a few days, recently. I was impressed with various development complexes. It was surprising to see a couple 24 hours supermarkets. Just as many places in LA or urban areas, most single family homes had a fence surrounding the entire property. A car is needed if you are going to venture into other communities, several miles up the road in both directions. If time is not a factor, the local bus system and a taxi is sufficient. 

The view from an apartment tower on the beach is one of the best I've ever seen. The rental I had, was angled only allowing a magnificent view of the entire horizon. Viewing the community from a tower in the day or night is enough to instill bliss. I was slightly annoyed when security asked me to leave the roof desk, with a swimming pool, bar and beach chairs, after trying to sleep under the stars at midnight. However, a place can't remain immaculate without enforcing some rules.

There is a Facebook page for Coronado.