Prepaid cards comparison

I would like to compare pre paid cards as I'm not sure I'm getting the best rate on euro.

I use the caxton fx euro card, if I were to load it today I would get the rate of 1.347 EUR and the interbank rate is 1.38 so obviously the difference is the charge.

I only use it to draw money out of ATM's and there is no charge for that, so the only charge is the difference in rate.
If i were to draw out in pounds i would get charged but never do that so thats not an issue.

What other prepaid cards do members use and if you could post the load rate or charge, i can then compare.

You're so moneysupermarket.com  :cool:

Also try

http://prepaid-debit-cards-review.toptenreviews.com/

So many comparison sites out there. I am not going to post such details here.

I would suggest this forum is for comparing experiences on Malta/Gozo not commercial financial services.

I do have to say though that it is a relevant question if you are not a holder of a Maltese bank account.  Unfortunately most prepaid card you will be paying a lot on FX as that's where they make there money. I do however believe there is a prepaid card being launched at the end of this month in Malta.

You can buy prepaid cards from bov/ in UK check out the post office one that seemed quite good

redmik wrote:

You're so moneysupermarket.com  :cool:

Also try

http://prepaid-debit-cards-review.toptenreviews.com/

So many comparison sites out there. I am not going to post such details here.

I would suggest this forum is for comparing experiences on Malta/Gozo not commercial financial services.

Thanks for that, yes did check out comparison sites before posting this BUT what they don't say is the difference (i.e.charge by another name) between market and load - The only way (and the reason for posting this) to find out the difference is if you actually hold a card, because you don't find out the difference until you log in and click load card, you then get a quote of what the exchange rate is.
However no matter what the exchange rate is, the difference is always the same.

What you do get in the comparison sites is the charges they charge for withdrawal in the UK or charges at the ATM, why they don't publish the difference in rate is beyond me.
edit: Unless its what they call international conversion fee?
Its all quoted in dollars though from the link.

Will look at the post office one too.

I didn't want to open an account in Malta just yet as we still a little way off moving from the UK.

robpw2 wrote:

You can buy prepaid cards from bov/ in UK check out the post office one that seemed quite good

Just checked out the post office and like all the others they don't quote what i call the differential, that seems to be common to all of these cards
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-mone … d%20limits

Rob if you have one of these cards can you log into your account and see what load price they are charging, the daily rate here this morning is 1.38 so all I need is the load charge and if you are getting better than 1.348 which is what the caxton card load is now.

Anyone else that has a different card could they do the same, it maybe that they are all set to the fx rate, if so then the cards will be all the same, apart from charges.

edit: sorry i should have said I'm converting from pounds

I don't any more I have my Barclays account so use that now but when I came out last April I used it

scubaboy wrote:

I do have to say though that it is a relevant question if you are not a holder of a Maltese bank account.  Unfortunately most prepaid card you will be paying a lot on FX as that's where they make there money. I do however believe there is a prepaid card being launched at the end of this month in Malta.

anything to do with your recent move J

good luck with that by the way

Of course Toon ;)

actually would work out very well, maybe we could have a chat about it over messenger ;)

G4 the difference in the rate is the international conversion fee, based on your example you are being charge approximately 2.5% about the Base rate as a conversion on the card.  To give you another Example the standard charge a the bank would be between 1.5% and 2.0% depending on the bank and the client relationship.

Julian

thought it might be lad

yeah that wouldnt be a bad idea....

The New Prepaid card has been released in Malta now called Universe.  It even comes with a Concierge Service saves hunting all over the internet for flights and hotels and restaurants.

Dont know if i allowed to post it but the website is http://theuniversecard.com/

Seems there is also a lottery with 100 prizes to be won over the next 2 months :) Love free stuff :)

There is a new card out called we swap its a strange one but looks a little better than my caxton pre paid card
click here

Views please, have ordered one but won't be here for my next holiday as its quite soon