What paperwork do I need to move to Mexico long-term?

My wife and I are retired and thinking about moving to Mexico. We are in the early stages of investigation, but could someone get me started with the basics? First, what paperwork/permits do we need to stay in Mexico for an extended time? We are American citizens.

Also, neither of us like big cites. What expatriate communities exist in a small-town setting, where we could still get internet service?

I have many other questions, but I'm hoping someone can get me started in the right direction. Thanks, Robert

Hello rsking!

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

Check out the Mexico Guide and view the article "Living but not working in Mexico".

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Sheetul

The easiest form is the FM tourist visa that is simple and easy to fill out at the border and good for six months. A lot of ex-pat. go back to the border every six months, spend a few days shopping across the border before returning to Mexico. You can apply for an FM3 or FM2 which is good for one year and then renew it every year but you have to have enough income to qualify.

Hello Robert. To live here long term and import your household goods and car, you need an FM-3 visa. At this time you must get it in Mexico. They are trying to stream line it but it takes about two weeks.

We live in Manzanillo. The population is about 200,000 people. The foreign population is about 2000 in the winter and 200 in the summer. that is a guess. It is a great little town, but big enough for DSL and Walmart.We are on the beach, one hour from Colima, 4 hours from Vallarta, and 3.5 hours from Guadalajara.

I hope this gets you started,
Candy King

I write a blog and a web site for the small town of Catemaco, Veracruz, and put together a page to answer frequent questions about living or retiring here which should apply to any other small, non US tourist town.

Maybe it will help you.
Living or Retiring in Catemaco

Hello, we live in Pachcua, Hidalgo state, just 45 mind from Mexic city, it is a small city with all the technology but close to the biggest city in the worl to fly in and out when you need to go back home, Europe or anywhere. There is a very small town called Real del Monte, Hidalgo, 15 mins from Pachuca. We love it.

I live in Pachuca, too and totally recommend it.  I have found a lot of people here who can speak just enough English to get things done.  Also, I have found many American products in the grocery stores here.

I think Pachuca is a big enough town to meet all your needs without getting into a big city.  If you don't like Pachuca, then as mentioned, Real del Monte just 15 minutes from here is even smaller.

One thing to note, if you have heart problems or high blood pressure, then Pachuca may not be the place for you.  It is one of the highest cities in Mexico with an estimated altitude of 6500 feet.

I like the weather although it gets COLD in the winter.  But the warmth of the sun balances that out.

As for long term living here, you can live here on a tourist visa long term.  In fact, I met someone who has been doing it for 19 years!  Although, I believe things are easier if you make things more permanent.  The FM3 changed names in May and I think the process is more streamlined.  I believe the income requirements are around $1100/month right now.  You enter on the tourist visa and then go to the immigration office to have your status changed.  They will issue a visa in your passport once approved.  The process (if you have all your papers together) should take 2 weeks.