The letter in Spanish required for residente temporal

The letter in Spanish required for residente temporal. Do any of you know about this requirement ?   If so what is the format, what are they looking for ? A letter of intent or ? Any experienced response appreciated.

http://goo.gl/X1TxpF letter for RT

I wonder if what you want is the letter we used to always write for renewal of the FM3. John and I wrote the same letter every year from about 1998 through 2012.
The one we used went something like this:

INSTITUTO NACIONAL DE MIGRACIÓN
(Local delegation)

Por medio de la presente yo, _______________, estadounidense, solicito a usted en caso de no existir ningún inconveniente, se me otorgue renovación a mi FM-3 No. _______, para vivir en Coatepec como rentista.

Sin otro particular, agradezco respetuosamente la atención que se sirva dar a la presente.

Atentamente,

____firma____

Thank you  Joaquinx

Thanks Babs.

I've been using the tourist visa for just over two years now because I kept hoping they would make the car import issue easier rather than harder. Unfortunately now it is harder, and I will have to give up my very good dependable car and buy a car here. Which means I have to go to the counsel in the U.S. and get a residente temporal visa started. Some of the paper work I have read about that process mentioned a letter in Spanish which had me trying to figure out what they want. It looks like all I will probably need is proof of finances, pass port photos, a pass port of course, and an application.

When did it get so difficult? We never had to do much except the proof of solvency, passport, proof of domicile, and that letter. I became a Mexican citizen in 2007 and never worried about it again. I've also heard that becoming a citizen now is more difficult than it used to be, so I'm very glad to be a dual citizen now!

When I arrived in 2008, I did need a letter along with the other paperwork for my FM2 at the time.
The original was deleted long ago, even from my archive.

It went something like.

To whom it may concern,        "a quien le corresponda,"

This letter is my application for    "Por medio del presente solicito estado
                                                     de visitante temporal rentista.
residence as a rentista.  I fulfill    Cumplo con todos los requierimentos y
                                                    tengo ingresos mayor a lo requerido.
all the requirements including
having income above the amount
required.

Sincerely,                                    Atentamente,
                                                   "my signature"
xxx xxx xxx                                 My name typed.

Actually, I went down to the INM office and they showed me a letter submitted by another applicant.

BTW Babs,

What are the ramifications of dual citizenship?
The State Department website has a warning that dual citizenship may cause the loss of US citizenship.
Do you have to swear sole allegiance to Mexico.

Are there any advantages other being able to vote, take part in politics and own property without a fidecomiso?

Thanks,
Barry

Barry, I noticed in one of the latest US embassy bulletins that it said dual citizenship was perfectly fine. I think it depends on the interpretation of the Mexican person in each jurisdiction. I started the process in Cancun in 2005 and finally finished it in Xalapa in 2007. Cancun required a test of Mexican history, and I studied for a couple of years (fascinating stuff, by the way, and I can recommend some great books on the subject). Xalapa didn't require one, though, and I think the immigration officer based passing me on my ability to speak Spanish. I didn't have to swear allegiance or give up anything.

The advantages include being able to own a home; this far inland a fidecomiso is not necessary, but there is a foreigner's fee I don't have to pay. Another advantage is the citizen's ID card (actually a voting card) which is great for identification. There is also an advantage when traveling--I have a Mexican passport. No more tourist lines for me.

I think it is getting harder to get citizenship in some places, though. Probably in tourist areas it's not as easy as it is here.

Babs

I pretty sure that the history test is no longer necessary.
I also read that everyone, even citizens, by law, must get an FMM on departure and return it on re entry.  It's just that it's not enforced at all.  I had to get extra visa pages for my passport because every trip out of the country resulted in two visa stamps.  That was a small advantage of the old FM2 booklet.  Extra pages cost almost as much as a new passport.

Regarding laws not being enforced, what is your understanding on Impuesto Sobre La Renta for foreign source income?

I may just wander down to Relaciones Exteriores and see if they will explain the requirements in detail.

I didn't know there was such an impuesto! Doesn't include pensions, does it?

Babs G. wrote:

I didn't know there was such an impuesto! Doesn't include pensions, does it?

Impuesto Sobre La Renta is Mexican Income Tax and supposedly US source income it taxable, pensions included.
You get a credit for taxes paid in the US and about the only deduction a private person can take is medical expenses.
Rates are a lot higher than the US for a US "middle class" income.
You file under an RFC number you get from SAT, I think.

In a way, your lack of knowledge relieves me a bit.  Supposedly, it wasn't enforced till 2010.  If I go for Mexican citizenship and they don't ask for an RFC, I'll just cross the Impuesto Sobre La Renta bridge when and if it comes up.

Take care,
Barry

The INM agents in Xalapa always wrote the letter for me. Most of the time, they wrote it on a sheet of paper for me to enter into a computer and print out. One, actually keyed it into their computer, printed it out and had me sign it.

Now I'm wondering if it would be better to remain residente temporal rather than become permanent.

The hoops one needs to jump through are quite small and arbitrary in some cases it would seem.

We checked several times to see if we needed to pay taxes and understood we didn't, but who knows?
Of course, my family member roommate  did most of the checking, He died in June so now it's just me figuring things out. As a side note I did learn a great deal about what happens when someone dies in Mexico.

Would it be easier if when I return from the states, that I get a lawyer ? Or does it seem that I can Handel it ? I'm not fluent yet, but I do get along in Spanish.

travellight wrote:

Now I'm wondering if it would be better to remain residente temporal rather than become permanent.

I'm not sure I understand your question completely.

Are you aware that after completing 4 years as a temporal, you must convert to Permanente or go back to the US and start the process of applying at the Mexican consulate all over again?

I don't know what Campeche is like.  When I did it, I went to INM and asked if they could give me something on paper to help me complete the requirements.  They actually had a couple of pages that showed me how to do things in the system and what sequence to do them in.  It doesn't hurt to ask.

The reason I said that is according to my information residente temporal card holders must change after 4 years to  permanente  but can, change to 6 month visitor, or return to the states to reapply for temporal. If permanente involves some sort of tax, I could just continue temporal it seems. I definitely don't want to pay taxes in two countries on the same income.

Let me know if you get a final word on this issue .

This may help.
I just found it.
http://mexicocity.angloinfo.com/informa … ncome-tax/

I do not receive any income in Mexico emphasis in the "IN".

Good plan thanks Gudgrief.

I am pondering a move to Mexico, and doing so under a tourist visa ... one, to see if I really like Mexico (no sense getting permanent, and then determining 3 months in I do not like it as a place to be every day), and, two, to allow me to drive my well-maintained Japanese car down there, which I understand can never be imported to Mexico.

Travellight, I am guessing you were under a FMM status for two years.  Would you mind providing some details?  Did you do it 180 days at a time, and just renew it?  If this is what you did, were you able to execute your renewals within Mexico? 

I am attracted to the notion of utilizing FMM status as a way of being in Mexico for a few years, as, 1) It seems easy, 2) By avoiding becoming more than a temporary resident, I am hopefully free of taxes that would apply to Mexican citizens/permanent residents, and, 3)  I'm not aware of any great benefits to being a permanent resident (I don't envision wanting to own property).

travellight wrote:

Thanks Babs.

I've been using the tourist visa for just over two years now because I kept hoping they would make the car import issue easier rather than harder. Unfortunately now it is harder, and I will have to give up my very good dependable car and buy a car here. Which means I have to go to the counsel in the U.S. and get a residente temporal visa started. Some of the paper work I have read about that process mentioned a letter in Spanish which had me trying to figure out what they want. It looks like all I will probably need is proof of finances, pass port photos, a pass port of course, and an application.

"Travellight, I am guessing you were under a FMM status for two years.  Would you mind providing some details?  Did you do it 180 days at a time, and just renew it?  If this is what you did, were you able to execute your renewals within Mexico?  "

Yes, Urban man that is how I have been doing it. 6 months at a time, that was because Mexico won't nationalize my perfectly good car. I didn't want to give up my car, so I hung on thinking it might get less restricted, but no it got tighter and now if you plan to live here you must have a Mexican car, or no car.
You must exit Mexico every 6 months to renew. For me that meant a week in Belize, or the long haul to the U.S.  Soon I will be making the last required long haul to the U.S. I will go to the Embassy and apply for the 4 year visa. Which will allow me to come and go more or less as I choose.

travellight wrote:

"Travellight, I am guessing you were under a FMM status for two years.  Would you mind providing some details?  Did you do it 180 days at a time, and just renew it?  If this is what you did, were you able to execute your renewals within Mexico?  "

Yes, Urban man that is how I have been doing it. 6 months at a time, that was because Mexico won't nationalize my perfectly good car. I didn't want to give up my car, so I hung on thinking it might get less restricted, but no it got tighter and now if you plan to live here you must have a Mexican car, or no car.
You must exit Mexico every 6 months to renew. For me that meant a week in Belize, or the long haul to the U.S.  Soon I will be making the last required long haul to the U.S. I will go to the Embassy and apply for the 4 year visa. Which will allow me to come and go more or less as I choose.

For a first timer applying at a Mexican Consulate you will not be given the option of a 4 year Residente Temporal, only a 1 year. After 1 year you will be given the option of a 1 to 3 year renewal. If you add a work permit to the RT the first year you will be required to provide financial solvency proof when renewing.

"For a first timer applying at a Mexican Consulate you will not be given the option of a 4 year Residente Temporal, only a 1 year. After 1 year you will be given the option of a 1 to 3 year renewal. "

Yes, alleycat I am aware that is likely,  But I also know its open for interpretation. What I care about is not continuing to have to cross the border every 6 months. Some of it depends on the Embassy you choose. Some are rigidly by the book others have more flexibility. Future renewals will be in Mexico and that's the important thing.

I just received my green card today for temporary residency in MX.  The letter is no longer a stand alone letter but should be added to the Comentarios section of the INM form (foramto para solicitor tramite de estancia) and I was told to write (in the Rosarito office and accepted by the Tijuana office) the following:

El suscirto (a)  _____name______, de nacionalidad _______nationaility______, con domicillio en _____address_____ y numero de telefono ______phone#_____, a sabiendas de la responsabilidad en que incurre quien declara falsamento ante autoridad distinta a la judicial, bajo protesta de decir verdad.  Solicito canje de FMM por Tarjeta de Residente Temporal, las actividades que me voy a realizar son vivir de mis recursos traidos del extranjero.

Atentamente.

Firma (signature)
Nombre  (name)

hope this helps!

Thanks Jaye4,

That's interesting. It looks like an attempt at a legal form in process. I understand it but several of the words don't translate in English or Spanish. I assume that's the legal attempt. Knowing how Mexico changes this will probably be different by the time I get there, but all of the great responses are a start.

I just received my first temporal visa. it took : one year bank statements proving you had funds in bank, passport, one photo, $36 US,  a signed letter from a bank officer( hard to get) and a marriage license if wife to move with you.  No other I remember!

Actually that Spanish translates into English quite well though it differs a bit from the separate letter that used to be required. 

"The undersigned _____name______, of nationality _______ationaility______, with domicillio in _____address_____ and telephone number ______ phone #_____, knowing of the responsibility that incurs who declares falsification before a different authority to the judicial one, in protest of saying truth. I request FMM exchange for Temporary Resident Card, the activities that I am going to carry out are to live on my resources brought from abroad.

"bajo protesta de decir verdad," for example, really means "under oath to tell the truth."  Other parts of the Google translation would be refined by a professional translator.

This was originally posted by me over 2 years ago, right before I became permanent. Hope it is a useful post for others. I didn't need the letter.

Buena suerte for those who are seeking a more permanent status be it temporal, or permanente. The only way to know the current rules is to go to the Mx. counsel in your country.

travellight wrote:

This was originally posted by me over 2 years ago, right before I became permanent. Hope it is a useful post for others. I didn't need the letter.

Buena suerte for those who are seeking a more permanent status be it temporal, or permanente. The only way to know the current rules is to go to the Mx. counsel in your country.

Hi to all, my wife and I just got our permanent resident Visa from the Mexican consulate in our home country. You need a certified bank statement for the last 6 months and a 12 months certified statement from you investments (bank or others).
We got does with no problem then the consulate officer takes both in consideration per person and decides on which visa you are allowed based on the $ you earn or own (Temporal o Permanente).
Once in Mexico, you need a proof of residency (best in spanish) from the owner or the ownership title of a house.
We are Canadians so we had legalized, at the mexican consulate, our birth and mariage certificates but we might need to get a "legal translator" translate them in Mexico if need be for IMSS or other.

Hope this is help full. Adios, GyC.

Hello Good Morning
i saw that  you had made a FM3 letter and I need to make one for some employees here at work as well if its not to much can I see an example of your so I can know more less how to get it started.
Thank you :)

It's over 10 years since I needed the letter and I lost it years ago.

It won't hurt if you contact the Mexican Consulate or the Instituto Nacional de Migracion.  If I remember correctly, the consulate gave me a copy of one.

Ok Thank you sir :)

I applied in minnesota andd needed no papers in spanish