Arrival in Kabul

Dear All

I will be arriving into Kabul end of Sept to take up a project management position with an NGO. 

Has anyone had experience shipping personal effects into the country? Given flight baggage restrictions, Im wondering if this is a good idea, or not. Im an American expat, single and will be coming on my own, and staying on a company guest house ...

Can anyone give me good tips for decent restaurants there,a gym or spa??? and also whereI can buy winter clothing? I come from Dubai, where its hot all the time!

Much thanks and I hope to mee some of you when in-country, Ill be there aprox 25 Sept ....

thanks!

Hello

Guess you are still there or have you fled the country after a short winter??

Let me know and we can touch base when I visit in Jan or Feb 2012.

Cheers

Yes, I am still here ..now working at a different job from when I first arrived last year though. Are you coming here in early 2012. Get in touch, if so ...I am here straight through until late march, 2012.  Cheers

Hello MEtravel

Scheduled to travel in early 2012 but there are always last minute hiccups along the way.

Sure, will get in touch with you when I get there.  Maybe you could provide me with a list of decent guest houses/hotels around  Kabul which are considered "safe" - not the Serena, Intercon or Safi Landmark.

Last time I visited in early 2011 Jan, I stayed at Park Palace - not bad but they used to switch off the central heating around 9.30 am and switch it on again 3 pm - so Fridays and Saturdays were freezing inside the room!!!

Cheers

Hi
What is the nature of your work here, and how long will you stay?
regarding guest houses/hotels, I can vouch for the following places:
Raven Rae guest house and restaurant, Shar e Nau, I stayed there for awhile last year  ..good location, restaurant and rooms, and safety qualified. Probably fully booked though
Park Star - shar e nau - recently renovated, with roof top indoor pool, gym, sauna, and restaurant - nearby Safi landmark, I usually stay here on wkends with my partner who lives here with his clients
Kabul Health Club - Wazir area, funky party-kind of place - there are a few rooms, not v sophisticated rooms, but health club and restaurant are v good ..the place is owned by some his afghan -expats and they sometimes have parties on thurs nights
Kabul Star Hotel - brand new, in shar e nau, I havnt been yet, but its new and modern and convenient location with all amenities
Relax guest house, shash darak area, low key place , appeals to hippie types, usually full, bit basic too, but they sometimes have fun parties . self-catering, I think.
The Baron - also security cleared, located out near airport
All other GHs I know of are private, company - run.
Let me know when you finailse your trip details
Cheers
Mare

Hi

Thanks for the run down provided and I am sure to be spoilt with all the choice.

I stayed at Park Palace which was okay and also checked out another place called Sanpo Guest House which is in the city centre area just near my place of work.  Previously known as the UN Guest House.  I hear that the Baron is highly priced and I was offered a rate of USD 150 per night with meals (think breakfast and dinner - but not too sure).

Would like to try out a GH where there is some action if you know what I mean.  I am tired of staying in Kabul without some excitement under cover!!!

Will let you know about my dates of arrival/departure and maybe we could touch base - provided the security improves - been pretty bad these last two days.

Cheers

Hi
Well, as you must know action is hard to come be here.
If you want it though, best to try Gandemak Lodge, probably full though, or Raven Rae guest house in shar e nau - both have ok restaurants/bars included,  ..or if you know anyone who can get you into The Doghouse, its also fun . ..But most likely its full of its more regular tenants . ..USd 150/night inc meals is what you can expect to pay anwhere, its going rate, maybe you can get a bit less, but only if you are long term. How long will you stay? whats ur work?

I was just wondering whether one could arrange for some action in Kabul whilst being there!!!  I am aware of the risks involved should one get caught.

Would appreciate if you could kindly provide me with the email addresses of the guest houses indicated so that I could contact them prior to arrival in Kabul and get some confirmation.

Intercon was charging me USD 110 I think last year in Jan - 2010.  My stay would be no  more than 3 weeks - at most stretch another week. 

Cheers

Hi
I dont have the email addresses of those guest houses,e  as Ive got my own villa here ... best to google search,or look on Lonely Planets online guide or book. or search for Whats on in Kabul e-newsletter, I think some of the GHs might advertise on this newsletter ...your room rate will depend on ur meal plan
one can always organise for action while here, es if you know people and can move about freely.  Many expats will leave for holidays soon,  when are you planning to come here?