Owning a boat

Hello, I did a search on the topic but didn't find anything. Does someone here own a boat, has owned a boat or has experience with boats in the DR? I'm planning on moving there next year so I'm just doing my due diligence on houses, cars and since it's an island I'm thinking of getting a speed boat as well. Any advice on cost, maintenance, storage in a marina or is it better to keep it at the house? Also I've looked for sites to see prices but couldn't find any? I know I can get good speed boats in Miami but what would it take to bring it over and get it registered? I've read a couple of threads on bringing in cars and it's seems like a hassle, is it the same with boats? Thank you in advance, any info will be helpful

Good questions and I have no answers, sorry.

Where are  you moving to as this will make a difference?

Bob K

Planning on being in or around Sosua or other larger cities

There is a boat ramp at the beach in Sosua.    slso, there is a Marina at Sea World ( Pricey I would guess) & a marina in Puerta Plata.  A friend in Sosua has a large cat.   whee he keeps it I don't know.  PM me & I'll give you his name & e-mail address.  Welcome & good luck.

You have a choice of Puerto Plata, Ocean world and Luperon for marinas in the area.

BobK

@Kris0x0 did you end up in DR? If so did you import a boat? My wife & I are looking to relocate, and bringing our boat down would be pretty important. I think I could keep it registered and “flagged” in the US and zip over to Puerto Rico to clear out/in a couple of times per year so as to not overstay, but I really don't know the legal requirements. Have you figured it out?

This Thread is from 2015.
I know very little about boat ownership in DR but reading your posts you are interested in the La Romana area and so the marina at Casa de Campo may offer you some advice.

Good luck.
What are the requirements of Puerto Rico to DR or vice versa by private boat in regards to migracion?
@DRVisitor since Puerto Rico is a US territory by leaving the DR a couple of times a year I could potentially keep my boat registered in the US and not have to import it to the DR.
It's typical in the US for larger vessels to be flagged in Cayman Islands or BVIs and only be “visiting” the US to avoid importation.

@planner I am aware of how old the thread is, but rather than start a new one I thought I might reach out to the OP to see if he followed through with bringing a boat to DR.

@JoshGV143 I guess my question is more I fly into airport you go thru migracion. I leave on a boat from dock? What happens?

@DRVisitor immigration at the marina  stamps your passport ‘Salida' immediately prior to departure.