The unofficial web site of the Quito Expat community

Nards Barley wrote:
SawMan wrote:

Strange sounding to me that the Director's resignation of The Explorer's Foundation somehow leads to its collapse - unless John was the sole source of funding too.

Yeah, one would think the non-profit foundation could exist without its founder, unless there are no funds to keep it going.

Not unusual, I have dealt with two not for profit organizations in which the founder provided virtually every dollar required, and their departure meant the organization was over.

cccmedia wrote:

December 29, 2015:  A posting at the South American Explorers website states that the organization is closing its Quito clubhouse and operations at the end of this week, ending decades of operation in the Ecuadorian capital.

The Quito president of the Explorers has resigned and no replacement has been indicated.  No 2016 plans have been indicated.

February 5, 2016, update:

The situation remains in limbo after about a month and a half.

The SAE governers in Lima, Peru, recently rejected a proposal to re-open the Explorers' Quito clubhouse, according to an internal SAE exchange of emails provided to me by a source this week.

Apparently, the proposal by an Ecuadorian named Victor was supported by the recently-retired SAE/Quito manager and it offered to bring rent and taxes up to date .. but it lacked detail -- not even stating Victor's full name in the plan presented to the SAE Lima board.

This opens the possibility of a Gringo stepping forward possibly to operate Quito's SAE as a business and instantly become a player in the Expat community, if he/she/they can put together a credible business plan.

Any such party or parties interested may send me a PM message if you want a virtual introduction to the right folks.

The organization has two remaining clubhouses currently operating in South America -- both in Peru:  Lima and Cusco.  The website is saexplorers.org .... There is or was a Facebook page with many photos related to the former Quito operation, its hikes and events.

cccmedia in Quito

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Comment removed - political comments are not allowed

Quito Swimming News.

The Piscina Matovelle (mah-toh-BELL-yay) next to the famous Gothic Basílica on Avenida Venezuela in El Centro is offering expanded hours to Gringos and the rest of el público.

Hours are from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday.  The pool is open till 6 p.m. on weekends and holidays.  There's also an early-bird public swim from 6-7 a.m.

Admission for adults is $3 with discounts available for multi-visit entradas.

Things I like about the Piscina Matovelle, compared, for instance, to my former swimming venue in the area, Academía Valencia....

1.  There's an ‘ejecutivo' swim for adults in the early evenings on weekdays.

2.  The pool is not restricted to lane swimming.

3.  The water temperature, 29 Celsius, is extremely comfortable and not too warm.

4.  Late hours (Valencia requires Gringos to arrive by 4 p.m.)  Also, the weekend hours.

5.  Murals of superheroes on the wall near the deep end.

Drawbacks:  the area from the dressing rooms to the pool can be slippery ... in the early to mid afternoon, too many kids jumping in, with big splashes .. the walkway from Avenida Venezuela to the pool is currently a sorta rocky construction area.

Note:  use of swimming cap required for both sexes ... the security system does not involve the use of lockers to protect clothes and valuables.

cccmedia in Quito