NEW!! EXPAT BLOG "SOCIALIZE OVER DINNER". Mark your interest here.

To All Expats in Dubai and UAE,

A few expats plan to set up a "food" circle.  I don't really like that expression because it's not just about food, it is more about getting to know people and socializing whilst eating and drinking (everybody's got to eat anyway, right?).

The intention would be to have regular get togethers, fixed beforehand, e.g. every second Friday of the month, and the date will not be open for discussion.  We would like, of course, to check out new places, but also visit every cuisine style present in the UAE (cheap to expensive) and learn from our fellow expats about eating habits in their country.

Suggestions and comments are much appreciated since I'm rather new to this place.  The first actual activity could take place second half of September.

As a first step, KINDLY BELOW EXPRESS YOUR INTEREST IN THE SOCIALIZE OVER DINNER CIRCLE!!  Again, any comments and suggestions are very welcome!

Thank you and enjoy!

Hi ,

let me suggest a place for the first dinner meeting, and since you are Belgian and organizing this :) why don't we go to the Belgian Beer cafe, I have not tried it yet, but I hear it is very good, and y will be our guide on what to choose from the menu :)
Cheers
Armen

Very good idea Armen!
I highly recommend the place but apparently better to go to the one in the Crown Plazza at Festival City the other one seems to be a bit less in quality wise.
On Monday night, there is Mussels Mania for 199 Dhs... you eat "à volonté" mussels during 2 hours! Yammi yammi...
If any of you are in FB, you may check the special offers they have for FB fans by following the link here.

Enjoy!!!!

hey marleneke

wassup ,well am totally agree about ur idea and i will do my best to orginize to dinner in sudanese resturant even there are no high quality resturand bt i will  look for it

u have yes form me for ur i dea
x
belle moe

so when is the meet? when and where? who r gonna be thr?

Hi All,

Cheers for your reactions and ideas!  I don't mind starting with Belgian food, but I do not want to appear selfish :shy.  I have been to the one in Grand Millenium and food was very nice, almost like the real Belgian :P yummie.

Of course, we're open to all cuisines, also Sudanese.  Please note THAT THE DAY HAS NOT BEEN FIXED YET AND WILL NOT BE BEFORE MID SEPTEMBER !!

Meanwhile, exercise your democratic right to indicate what you would like...

Marleen

i'm a democratic left.

Aaah, thank you Joylok,

so you eat with your left hand :lol:, totally fine with me!

Make sure you read the messages with both eyes, not just your left!:whistle:

Marleen

lol! :D:D Marleem you have amazing humor!!:):top:

Hi,

I'm new here in Dubai and in this forum too, I like your idea Maleneke, it's nice to meet people with good food and drink. I can't suggest any restaurant, but I want to participate on it....so, see you soon!!!

Hola Marta!

Bienvenido a Dubai!  Y tambien bienvenido a la forum "Socialize over Dinner".  Qué tal?  Soy muy feliz de encontrar una Espanola para practicar mi Espanol.  Lo he estudiado pero me falta la practica :/.

So Marta, you will be the one to guide the others through Spanish dishes and eating habits!  Know of any Spanish restaurants in Dubai yet?  Maybe your Spanish friends here know?

Please follow the forum to find out the date and venue for the kick-off dinner.  Will not be before end of September because I broke my foot and my leg is in a cast.:sosad:.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Marleen

Hi Marleen,

I hope I speak english as you speak spanish, nice!!!!

I know two Spanish restaurants, but I've not been there, Seville and Al Q'sar or something like that, so maybe we can go there after other cousines.

I'm sorry for your leg, if you need something tell me, I don't know if I'll found what do you need but I'll try it. In Dubai is difficult to find or arrive at any places without loss before.

Have a nice weekend!!!

Hi there!

Can I register my interest even though I'm not in the UAE yet?? I'm arriving in about ten days, and since the thing I'm most worried about is not making any new friends, I'm just going to dive into the expat commnity and say yes to anything and everything that's going on. I'd love to be part of such a great, upbeat community.

And food. Food's another favourite of mine :P

Also I'll obviously have nooo idea about directions or where or what is a good place to hang out in Dubai, so any suggestions/invitations are more than welcome.

As for Australian food...hmmm. I think we mostly steal stuff from other parts of the world! I wonder if there's any hope of finding a pie floater in Dubai...don't ask, they're pretty disguisting. And vegimite sandwhiches hardly count as haute cuisine, though of course, they're one of my favourites.

So hoping to touch down around the 15th-20th September, and I'd love the chance to be part of this expat community :)

Cheers,
Steph

G'day Mate!

Great to have you in the dinner club and hope you will make it to lovely Dubai in one piece.  As there already is an event on September 24th, I'm thinking of going for OCTOBER 1.

More info later as I am moving today and will be out of internet (and time) for a short while.

By the way, what the h... is a vegimite sandwich anyway?  I know it from the song "Down Under", and I even have friends in Sydney, but haven't really asked them yet :|.

Stay tuned on this thread and we're looking forward to meeting you!

Marleen

yo marleen what eva u will decides am with ya coz even am busy i will free ma self to this even u know me :)

cant wait to the meet up

x
belle moe

Hi Guys,
Im from abu dhabi and i hope im welcome as well... Can't wait to attend and meet you all personally...

Welcome to Expat.com Champaigne Super Nova :)
I'm sure you will be most welcome in Marlèneke's group!
Cheers

Thanks for welcoming me in this group MArleneke...
Guess i have to wait for the next update for the final venue... See yah

Oct 1 is good for me too.. Please let us know the details once decided.

Hi, my name is Sylvia and I'm from the UK. Only been here 3 weeks and would love to make some friends. What better way to meet people than over a meal. I'm very new to this, only joined the blog 30 mins ago. So you'll have to be patient with me til I find my way around. Would like to express my interest in'socialize over dinner'

Most welcome to Expat.com, Dubai and Dubai's forum :D, Sylvia!
Enjoy your time here!
If you got any questions, you can contact me or start a new discussion!
Cheers
Arlette

Hi CSN, Newbie and Sylpatcaf,

thank you for expressing your interest in the dinner circle!  You are most welcome to join of course, number of nationalities going up, reaaaaaal fun :top:.

I moved today to my new apartment and I'm beat :P and will go to bed soon :sleep.  Stay tuned and give me a day or so to contact the Belgian Beer Café.

Arletteje: thank you dear for all your support!  Can I change the title of my blog?  It would be handy if I could put in the date and venue soon.

Best regards,
Marleen

Hi Marlèneke, send me a PM when you have the details and I'll arrange it for you!
Good night!

Oups! by the way, how's your foot?

Hi Marlenke,
I'd like to join your club, will be back with some ideas later.
:)

Hi Mila,

We're glad that you joined the dinner club and hope to see you at our kick-off event.  Follow-up on this discussion please.

Your suggestions and ideas are very welcome and appreciated ;).

Best regards,
Marleen

A QUESTION FOR ALL YOU FOOD/DRINK LOVERS PLEASE:

I would like to make a reservation at the Crowne Plaza Belgian Beer Café but have not been there myself :rolleyes: so could you help me with following:

- is the café not too noisy?
- can the group sit a bit separated?
- I read I should go for the upper level, is that correct?
- anything you want to mention?  comment on?  criticize? :thanks:

Thank you for speedy answers so that I can book for OCTOBER 1 :) .

Wishing you all a great weekend!

Marleen

Hi Marlèneke,

I really love the place! You'd almost believe to be back in Belgium :lol:

Don't think it's too noisy. Maybe it depends on which time you want to go? Do you want to go for lunch or dinner? If lunch we might eventually join (have to check with my GM :D).

On Fridays they have a very nice buffet and if my memory doesn't fail me you have also mussels à volonté.

You could check with Dirk to have a space upstairs (depending on the size of the group).

I'll send you the phone number of Dirk by private message tomorrow so you can speak to him directly!

Cheers
Arlette

Hi Marlèneke,
do count me in, will be there unless im called away on duty travel!

debzn wrote:

do count me in, will be there unless im called away on duty travel!

Great Debz, welcome back :) and hope to finally have dinner with you ;).

"Maybe it depends on which time you want to go? Do you want to go for lunch or dinner? If lunch we might eventually join."

Dear Arlette, I think most of the participants (including me ;)) prefer dinner, so that party animals can go clubbing afterwards, how ever much I would like to meet you!!!  As soon as I get Dirk's number I will make the necessary arrangements.

Thanks and best regards,
Marleen

Marlèneke
I promise I get back to you tonight with the info
Have a nice day
Arlette(ke) :D

Nice idea.

Has anyone talked about dining in Sharjah or the no alcohol policy has scared the group off? I am new here and usually visit the Irish Village accross from teh Emirates Training Center in Al Garhoud for food & drinks. Would love to meet some people, I'm new here and it's gonna take some getting used to for me I think.

Good to read your postings.

Phil

Hi Phil,
Welcome to Expat.com :). Well you know a dinner always tastes better with a good glass of beer or a good wine :D:lol:
The idea of Marlèneke is to make rounds in the best restaurants in town and to taste a variety of cuisines!
So just follow up on the next news about "Socializing over Dinner" for the first outing.
Cheers
Arlette

PS: as I see you are in Sharjah, would you mind dropping  us a few lines to present yourself in this topic Presentation of members in Sharjah?
Thks

Amitkumarverma and johnnyringo42,

Welcome to the socialize over dinner circle!

Everyone please move to the new thread with venue and date in the title.

Marleen

***    THIS THREAD IS CLOSED     ***

Please move to new discussion: SOCIALIZE OVER DINNER --> OCTOBER 1 @ BELGIAN BEER CAFE.

Marleen

Closed