Seriously, What's Wrong?!

Hello everyone,

Once, I was in the airport in Riyadh with my mother, then, we saw those two English guys, so, my mom asked me to give them some books that talk about Islam in English, I said alright! When I went to them, I said, excuse me sir,could you please take these books and read them! OH MY GOD, they just acted like I was never existed, like I was some kind of unvisible person! They even didn't bother to turn around, I thought maybe they didn't hear me or something, so I kept running after them, but ...!!! No results! They just went away!
I was like "What the heck was that!!!", Oh God! The situation was so embarrassing!

Is there anything wrong that I did? Or is this just the way that you must deal with a stranger? Seriously, what's wrong?!

Most Westerners don't care for religious prosletyzing.

We respect people's rights to believe as they want, but consider faith (or lack of it) to be a private matter between a person and their god(s).

You continuing to run after them after they clearly made it obvious they weren't interested didn't help matters much, it seems.

Don't take it personally, and I'm sure your mother meant well, it's just not how we deal with our own faith, or with yours.

Well, but at least they could've said something like, no thank you, we're not interested, I mean, something that has few words!!! lol! It's just, I've never been in such a situation! Saudis never ignore a person, it's more like a culture thing, you have to respect the person, see what he or she wants. Something like that!

Thanks MisterStretch!

Ramon,

Saudis never ignore a person,

Saudis may never ignore a Saudi person, but I am ignored by Saudis on a pretty frequent basis...and that really takes some effort, because I am 1.96 meters tall!

By and large most people are polite...but when you are in a foreign country you have the tendency to be a little more reserved.  You also, Ramon, have to take into account the way many in the West view Islam because of the atrocities that extremists practice. 

If you did this to me in an airport, my response to you would be based on  your approach to me.  If I thought you were "pushing it", I would just ignore you.  If you were polite and engaged me in conversation, I would probably say "No, thank you."  But if that occurs, you must respect that no, thank you, okay?

Thanks MisterStretch! I totally agree! And WOW! Masha Allah, you're so tall! You should give those Saudis some of your height!
May God keep you safe.

Ramon,

I live in a decent size city, downtown back home. Everyday I step out my door I have to face multiple people pedaling something on my way to work, the store, or where ever I am going.
Some want to talk to me about Religion, some about politics or the the earth, some want me to sign things or some want money. But let me tell you, every single day this gets old.... Its made me pretty stone faced and callus towards strangers approaching me with stuff.

Well, I'd say it's a matter of cultures and religions, but it's good to know the way the other people think.
Thanks Schulz!

Ramon,

I think MisterStretch gave an excellent explanation on this one.

though I can't help but feel this thread reminds me of something. :P

Salman

I feel like lol coming, Salman. So, what is it? Come on, tell us!

Ramon,

Completely agree with Mr Stretch! and may I kindly remind you that religious and political subjects are very sensible subjects and are usually not much discussed in this forum which goal is to help people settle in their country of expatriation by extending them useful information qua housing, jobs, etc.?
Thanks for your comprehension Ramon1990
Cheers
Arlette

FeeAcer, we're not discussing any religious subject, we're talking here about an embarrassing situation that I was put in, and I wanted to know whether it's usual to be rejected like that or not!

Thanks dear!

Ramon,

Arlette wrote:

may I kindly remind you that religious and political subjects are very sensible subjects and are usually not much discussed in this forum

Hi Arlette,

I can understand where you are coming from in what you said, plus I'm not fully briefed with the forum rules and regulations. yet I do want to point out that I disagree with that opinion. politics and religion are always treated as taboos, things we should never discuss. why?

as long as there are no personal attacks or any real offence towards a persons belief, as long as its facts and clarifications, I personally think they should be discussed.

its part of being an expat to understand and comprehend ones surroundings.

thats just my opinion.

Salman

I think, to a certain degree, we have to discuss politics, culture and religion in a site like this.

The differences from here to most of our home countries is so profound, that not talking about them would be more harmful than talking about them; so we understand - try not to offend and allow for some understanding between expats and HCNs.

Sorry if I have been misunderstood... this was only my personal opinion... nothing to do with moderation or else!

In our 38+ years of expat life, we always refrained from discussing political and religious matters just to be sure not to hurt the sensibility of our host countries!

And that is also what we were expecting from others.

My apologies again!

Thats the idea MS ;)

Arlette,
No need to apologize, you didnt do anything wrong. perhaps the fact that your a moderator gave me an impression that you speak for the forum thats all. moreover, your long experience is always respected. I as well was just making a personal point of view.

it is true that sensitive subjects are at times better left unsaid, especially when you conversate with locals. but expats dont need to do so in a space that is open to everyone. on the otherhand, I find locals more talkative when they are asked about religion, sometimes politics as well.

local women on the otherhand are more conservative, but that again is in the things of the past. my generation is not so cooperative when you want them to just keep quite for a sec. lol.

no offence intended nor taken.

Salman

You guys took it in a totally different direction! This subject isn't about religion or any. I just wanted to know what it must have been done right, that's all. Now, I totally understand as an expat, it's better to take the safe side. I mean, religious and politics subjects end up with hurting someone, I'd say most of the times. However, if those just took the books, and accepted it, they wouldn't lose anything after all. Me, myself, if someone wanted to give books, even a stranger, I wouldn't say no or ignore him - her. I would just act nice, and take them, it's not like I'm forced to read them.

Thank you, Salman, MisterStretch, FeeAcer.

Ramon,