Kiwi and Aussie families in Split

Hi,

My husband and I plus our two children 17 month old girl and 3 year old boy are looking at moving to Split as my husband has been offered a job there.  I'm having trouble finding any information about expat familes in Croatia and particually Split.  Does anyone have any info there could share with me?

Are there many english speaking expat families living in Split?  Are there any englsh speaking schools and nurseries there?  Are there any mothers groups or play groups?

What is rental like?  We will need to get a good size house with a nice garden not too far from the city of Split.

Any info would be much appreciated!

thank you :)
Helen

Hi there Helen!

are you moving from Australia?
I have lived in Split for over a year and I also have a 28 month old daughter. I have several friends (expats) I have met through my class that I attend to learn croatian.
send me an email and we can talk more if you would like. I also have a blog and you can see a bit more of what split is like.

croatia-eolivas.blogspot.com

when will you move to Split?

Elisa

Hi Helen,

there are a few foreigners in Split and surrounding islands, but the community is quite small.  I am in the process of putting together a website with more practical information - total-croatia.com is live at the moment, but will be finished in November, but there are a couple of entries which would interest you from some Americans who lived in Split for a year.

total-croatia.com/moving-to-split.html
total-croatia.com/daily-life-in-croatia.html

Send me an email and I will update you with more info about moving here as it is uploaded to the site.

Cheers Paul

Hi Helen, welcome to Expat.com :)
You might want to check out the Network of expats in Croatia; there are some living in Split who could extend infos to you.
And did you know that we have a Croatia Classifieds section -> Accommodation where you could check the current listings?

Welcome to you too of course, Paul!

Hi everyone

thanks for your replies it's appreciated. My huband is flying out there tomorrow for three days to have a look around. Unfortunately we are not having much luck with accomodation, seems that it's difficult to find a house in Split or near by.  And we can't seem to find any expat friendly or english speaking kindergartens/play groups...   We are finding everyone is friendly and welcoming though!

Cheers
Helen

Hi Helen,

most real estate agencies will have a rental division and most will speak English.  trgostan.hr are pretty good in split i have heard.  Google 'kuca najam Split' (house rent Split) or apartman najam Split (apartment) and you should get a selection of agencies.  email them in English and you should get some replies and offers.

Nice place to intro yourself and get more info is Black Cat Bistro (google it), run by a Brit and his Croatian wife - great food and chilled atmosphere and they know most about what is going on.

Cant really help at the mo re childcare etc, although there is an EXCELLENT new softplay at the soccer stadium called Carobni Grad - Magic Town.  English is very widely spoken so if there isn't an expat kindergarten, you will still be able to communicate no probs.