Where are the major expat hangouts in Saigon?

I live in D11 with the in-laws, and while it is nice to have family support, it would also be nice to get out and meet some expats. Where are the main expat hangouts in Saigon? Over the last couple of weeks I have been to several bars in D3, and some in the backpacker area. The closest I found was Boston Sports Bar in the backpacker area, but this morning the only expats there were one drunk guy arguing with his girlfriend, an expat from Nha Trang who was passing through, another who was trying very hard to hit on one of the girls at the bar, and some people speaking French.

Are there any weekly meetups, coffee groups, etc.? Which bars have the highest concentration of expats?

I love my in-laws and we get along great, but it would be nice to have an English conversation with someone other than my wife (although I love her even more than the in-laws) or a one-way English conversation with my baby. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :proud

Last week I met an expat in Khoi Thom restaurant, in D3 (29 Ngo Thoi Nhiem). I saw many expats there.
I always go to D3 on Thursday with the foreign student. If you don't mind talk to 2 women, we can meet at coffeeshop to speak English :D. Hope someone can join with us.

Was that Steven s Bar?

There are tons of foreigners in the city, and many have developed a superiority complex because they earn higher than the average wages. (Not saying all btw)

So going to spots with tons of foreigners might not be a good idea, you can find a lot of decent people in other spots and then maybe go to the big spots together?

Try The Deck, a lot of well mannered people there for dinner.

hi Mr. jakejas

i got an invitation from this, it open by a routine so we can meet and talk and enjoy activities will some good people

"Hi there

I have been going to this English club for a few weeks and really LOVE this place. We are there mostly Vietnamese workers and students, most of them very nice and enthusiastic to learn speaking English.

For now, there is only one warm-hearted cute kind fantastic woman named Paula who is foreigner has been there trying to help us improve our English. I love her by the way   :gloria  . So I do hope that there are more foreigners come to join us (and give Paula a hand :D). You will meet nice Vietnamese people there for sure, I promise! :top:

Vietnamese are welcome also. We have about 10 - 15 Vietnamese coming each evening. Let's come and have a lot of laugh together.

Address: 176 Bui Vien, Sozo cafe
Time: 7 pm to 9 pm, every Mon and Wed

We are on the second floor, please come inside to see us :)"

Sincere

LaxFogo wrote:

...going to spots with tons of foreigners might not be a good idea, you can find a lot of decent people in other spots and then maybe go to the big spots together?

I have been in Saigon for a month and I haven't been able to find anyone who is not a foreigner (except my wife) who can speak English well enough so that I can speak normally and hang out. I have found a lot of people who speak enough English to communicate basic things, but not enough so that I can speak as I normally would in the US and be understood.

You can have a look here http://pubcrawlsaigon.com/
I've never tried it because I'm a girl, and it's not a popular place for me to come, I'm afraid of being alone there :) But you are expat, so I think it's not a problem with you, let's go there, try to make new friends and have fun.

And you can also come to Decibel Lounge on 79/2/5 Phan Ke Binh st. D.1 (at the intersection of Phan Ke Binh and Nguyen Van Thu st.). My office is very nearby here, I come here for lunch everyday, and as I see, almost costumers are expats. The owner is a very nice Vietnamese-French guy, and many my expat colleagues often come here at night for some beers. So it's a perfect place for you to meet expat friends I think :)

Let go to have fun.

aquabeam89 wrote:

Address: 176 Bui Vien, Sozo cafe
Time: 7 pm to 9 pm, every Mon and Wed

We are on the second floor, please come inside to see us :)"

Sincere

Thanks. If I have some free time this evening I will stop by!

Hello,

I would recommend you not try to meet Expats in any Bar if you are not a kind of drinking girl.

Remember that the place you come means the person you would love to meet.

So I suggest you can join in the gathering on Expat site each month, which held at some Coffee Shop.

However, you can also meet and talk with some native speakers who has some post advertisement on this Blog.

Best Regards,

emmy.vn wrote:

I would recommend you not try to meet Expats in any Bar if you are not a kind of drinking girl.

Why wouldn't you recommend trying to meet expats in a bar? That's what I would do back home. Besides, I have way too much hair on my chest and not enough on my head to be a drinking girl.  :D

jakejas wrote:
emmy.vn wrote:

Why wouldn't you recommend trying to meet expats in a bar? That's what I would do back home. Besides, I have way too much hair on my chest and not enough on my head to be a drinking girl.  :D

haha. that was a good one. you are hilarious mr. / ms. jakejas

The very simple thing is that the people in Bar can also speak to you, yes! But do you want to keep talking with a drunker?

I'm not sure though.

Anyway, good luck to you friend! I hope you can have more chance, keep going!  :idontagree:

I will be heading over to the backpack area this evening. If any expats would like to join me, send me a PM with your phone number (I will get the email notification on my phone), and I will call or text you back to meet up.

jakejas wrote:

Where are the main expat hangouts in Saigon?

Yes, expatblog hcm. Old, serious and talkative guys discuss together everyday

jakejas wrote:

Are there any weekly meetups, coffee groups, etc.?

Yes. 6pm every sunday. About 30 young nice expats. If you want I will pm you the information of the club.

jakejas wrote:

I live in D11 with the in-laws, and while it is nice to have family support, it would also be nice to get out and meet some expats. Where are the main expat hangouts in Saigon? Over the last couple of weeks I have been to several bars in D3, and some in the backpacker area. The closest I found was Boston Sports Bar in the backpacker area, but this morning the only expats there were one drunk guy arguing with his girlfriend, an expat from Nha Trang who was passing through, another who was trying very hard to hit on one of the girls at the bar, and some people speaking French.

Are there any weekly meetups, coffee groups, etc.? Which bars have the highest concentration of expats?

I love my in-laws and we get along great, but it would be nice to have an English conversation with someone other than my wife (although I love her even more than the in-laws) or a one-way English conversation with my baby. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :proud

So many Nigerians and Filipinos in 23/9 Park.
All the way from Ben Thanh market down to the bus station near Cong Quyn.
Just wander around. They're sure to find you.
Just beware of the junkies selling you bottle caps and pieces of plastic.

Anytime is good.After 6pm and you're sure to meet many non Vietnamese 'wanting' to be your friend.
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery/Ducati%20900SS%2075%20%204.jpg

There is a group of international ppl meet up every Saturday for a drink at difference bars each weeks. Some of them even go out every night.
U can search for international friend in Saigon on Facebook.