Da Nang or Hoi An

Hi
I am a semi-retired businessman and in the long term will be involved in a project in the area.In the meantime to keep my wife and I busy.Would like to open a low key coffee shop and retail outlet to cater for ex-pats.Where should we be?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Carl&Linda

Hoi An is a tourist trap of the worst kind.

Da Nang is more of a regular city with a port, stadium, station, airport.

This is the time of year the bad storms are running, August through November, where the tin roofs are flying through the air and rubber (Wellington) boots are need inside many houses!

If you open in Hoi An, you will not have to pay much for decoration. Seems all coffee shops there are the same style. But renting can be very high.

If you open in Danang, it can take about 10 000$ to decorate the coffee shop while the renting isnt as expensive as Hoi An. You can rent a building.. about 20 000 000-30 000 000d/month and have a coffee shop on the basement while upstairs are for leasing.

There are already a couple of Coffee/food shops catering for Foreigners, Hoi An isn't that big, so expect some stiff competition, ( remember the locals still have the Viet population to fall back on  ).

jumpstart wrote:

Hi
I am a semi-retired businessman and in the long term will be involved in a project in the area.In the meantime to keep my wife and I busy.Would like to open a low key coffee shop and retail outlet to cater for ex-pats.Where should we be?
Thanks
Carl&Linda

Thanks so much for the kind advice so far.

DA NANG IS OK,
Many expats live and work in Da Nang

jumpstart wrote:

Hi
Thanks
Carl&Linda