Living in the DQ

Hi,
I' ve been living the DQ for almost one year i should have many friends from all countrys but it's not the case at all!
Does somebody can help?
Also i m looking for arabic lessons with a french speaking teacher....

Welcome on Expat-blog Benzo! I've moved the topic on the Riyadh forum. For the arabic lessons, try the Riyadh classifieds.

Good luck!

Hey Benzo!  Glad you decided to drop in :)

I understand that it's difficult to make friends here in Saudia.  Where I work there are very few westerners and the others, while lovely, tend to keep to their own.

Even the westerners--it's like, when people work together 44 hours a week, they just want time away from each other on their weekends lol

I'm sure you'll get to know some people via this forum. Maybe you can be our 'DQ' contact.  For example, I know about Scalini's and the women's spa, but what else is there to do at the DQ?

Bonjour. Good choice Benzo - joining the Expat.com. Just log on and keep an eye on the activities.
See you soon.
Dave

Alliecat wrote:

I understand that it's difficult to make friends here in Saudia.  Where I work there are very few westerners and the others, while lovely, tend to keep to their own.

Even the westerners--it's like, when people work together 44 hours a week, they just want time away from each other on their weekends lol

I'm sure you'll get to know some people via this forum. Maybe you can be our 'DQ' contact.  For example, I know about Scalini's and the women's spa, but what else is there to do at the DQ?

Thank you for your answer.
The situation you describe is exactly what i am living just add some more hours... My job is taking me too much time.

Regarding the DQ I know some embassys are organizing some events particularly the french embassy. I attended once to a party there and it was greeat. I went once also to the asian women's day in Indonesian embassy... I know that Koweit ,USA, Lebanon are also organizing some events. Sometimes it s free sometimes you have to pay. The french embassy is also proposing a library.

There is in the DQ a nice outdoor swimming pool only for men of course... the fee is fifty riyals and you have access the full option swining pool with waves, bubbles, toboggan... It is located inside the sport facillities center...

So far that's all..

jillndave wrote:

Bonjour. Good choice Benzo - joining the Expat.com. Just log on and keep an eye on the activities.
See you soon.
Dave

Thank you Dave I'll follow your advise.

Christine wrote:

Welcome on Expat-blog Benzo! I've moved the topic on the Riyadh forum. For the arabic lessons, try the Riyadh classifieds.

Good luck!

Thank you Christine.

Hi Benzo

I also live in DQ and agree with you fully. They do allow women at the pool, but we have certain days to attend. As Alliecat says; its about the number of hours you work probably determins your social life. I work >50 hours a week and some and still on call, so social life cut in half. There is a great social life here especially at your French embassy. Not sure why you dont take more of that oportunity to meet your fellow countrymen.

Hi Benzo there are also some sports that could fill some of our emptiness. Just need to find what makes us feel comfortable not just with the people we are surrounded with but what sport we up to. Nice to see the forum's growing number. The daily contributors are really amazing and entertaining.... :) have a nice day to everyone.

Hi Benzo.

I too live in the DQ and find it rather boring to be honest.

I've since made some acquaintances at some other compounds and am on some of the mailing lists.  I'd imagine the mailings will pick up a bit after the summer holidays.

I've been to the US embassy for an event and to the Thai embassy.

Are you on the USMC/ MWR mailing list?  Shoot me a note and I'll get you added if not.

Living in the DQ is not that amazing -- i would rather living in in a compound.

Omar

Hi Benzo,

Would love to meet up after Ramadan if you are up for it?? Drop me a line.

There are a few things going on in Riyadh all through the year, just need to keep an eye open for them

mirfarali wrote:

Hi Benzo,

There are a few things going on in Riyadh all through the year, just need to keep an eye open for them

What side exactly I should keep looking with my open eyes?:D

regoks wrote:

Hi Benzo.

I too live in the DQ and find it rather boring to be honest.

If in DQ is boring what should I say about outside DQ or compound?

"Go and kill yourself?" ..
it's not funny, it's so sad:(

Regarding the DQ I know some embassys are organizing some events particularly the french embassy. I attended once to a party there and it was greeat. I went once also to the asian women's day in Indonesian embassy... I know that Koweit ,USA, Lebanon are also organizing some events. Sometimes it s free sometimes you have to pay. The french embassy is also proposing a library.

sounds interesting..

Omar Al Omar wrote:

Living in the DQ is not that amazing -- i would rather living in in a compound.

Omar

Hey Omar, cool pic. Is it you?  What do you hunt??

Hi everyone:

I am new to the Forum.  I am hoping to relocate to Riyadh in a few months' time.  I was visiting the DQ last week, and frankly, I did not think much of it either.  I think it would be a boring--and a lonely--place, especially for a single person.  I would rather live on a compound.

Macdin

macdin, welcome to the forum!  If you're planning to come to Saudia, you'd better get used to boring ;)

Macdin wrote:

Hi everyone:

I am new to the Forum.  I am hoping to relocate to Riyadh in a few months' time.  I was visiting the DQ last week, and frankly, I did not think much of it either.  I think it would be a boring--and a lonely--place, especially for a single person.  I would rather live on a compound.

Macdin

Welcome to the Forum.

Anil

Benzo wrote:

Hi,
I' ve been living the DQ for almost one year i should have many friends from all countrys but it's not the case at all!
Does somebody can help?
Also i m looking for arabic lessons with a french speaking teacher....

Welcome to the Forum Benzo,

I have no idea what DQ is i am sure it is better than my place were i am currently. Though it is close to office and Faisaliah mall it is a very sad place to live.
One of my interests in Riyadh is to keep an eye on the forum and get to know people.

Anil

If You Don't Stand For Something, You'll Fall For Anything

anil.soni wrote:

I have no idea what DQ is i am sure it is better than my place were i am currently.

DQ stands for Diplomatic Quarters, Anil.  It's where the embassies are located, in western Riyadh.

Check it out:

http://www.arriyadh.com/Eng/Tourism/Con … oc_cvt.htm

Addendum:  this article makes it seem MUCH better than I ever noticed it was!!  Is there a mall and supermarket?  I sure didn't see them.

Alliecat, the mall is near to Scalinies restaurant. You probably walked past it to get there. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Unless I'm mistaken, then no doubt I will be corrected. Sparrow help me here.

Alliecat wrote:

DQ stands for Diplomatic Quarters, Anil.  It's where the embassies are located, in western Riyadh.

Thanks for the information Allie.....

Anil

Things happen even if they are not planned....

EEErrrrrr..........You guys 're so damn lucky and I m so damn jealous with u guys :mad:.....Oh u r in heaven u have got time to get bored ???:o:o:o

I wish i could type same :(..........No time for it nor I got bacterias of this"Boredom diseases":mad:

Mom,Aftaris,Dinners,Sehris & Mom again...............Time is flying ..I m getting older :mad:...I want to get bored :sosad:

the grass is always greener ....

nonz wrote:

EEErrrrrr..........You guys 're so damn lucky and I m so damn jealous with u guys :mad:.....Oh u r in heaven u have got time to get bored ???:o:o:o

I wish i could type same :(..........No time for it nor I got bacterias of this"Boredom diseases":mad:

Mom,Aftaris,Dinners,Sehris & Mom again...............Time is flying ..I m getting older :mad:...I want to get bored :sosad:

Good to hear from you, nonzie!!  I've missed your mad face :P

LOL

Uhm, we got date trees and more date trees...and all the embassys except mine. USA is the embassy that rocks. Not found a mall yet, only a small shop and all the banks, ATMs, travel agents, Fedex, Near the USA they got their starbucks coffee shop. Big sports facilities, gym,swimming pool.  And loads of saudi men in their 4x4's driving round and round in circles just to see you without an abaya.

Mmmmmmmmmm Love Dates.
I must come on a date raid. Sparrow when are you free to chaperone me round.
And you have found the Mall - but it's a small one. LOL.

We will have to get together at Scolinies again sometime and meet more of the newbies.

Dave

The only transport I am allowed to use is a Jamal. Have to get him out the garage

And loads of saudi men in their 4x4's driving round and round in circles just to see you without an abaya.

:lol::lol::lol:

Mmmmmmmmmm Love Dates.
I must come on a date raid. Sparrow when are you free to chaperone me round.
And you have found the Mall - but it's a small one. LOL

:mad::mad::mad:

yeah Allie u have missed it but i will do it next time for u :P

hi..dude..i understand your situation..life in riyadh doing nothing is really boring..hahaha...all u have to do is have fun...try to have fun...everyone here is a friend...

if u wanna hang out...just send me a message... join me in exploring riyadhs mystery...lol
exciting...lol

hope to be your friend all of you guys...
the more, the merrier...

all expats in here should enjoy ourselves...just like now..its holiday..time to relax and have fun...

Benzo wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

Thank you for your answer.
The situation you describe is exactly what i am living just add some more hours... My job is taking me too much time.

There is in the DQ a nice outdoor swimming pool only for men of course... the fee is fifty riyals and you have access the full option swining pool with waves, bubbles, toboggan... It is located inside the sport facillities center...

So far that's all..

A little correction..Actually it's not for men only but they have days for men & days for women & children!!!

You might like to try this guy

Jamel - Eddine Chaabani

He is Algerian, speaks French and other languages and is an Arabic teacher. works at the USA Embassy.

I believe he used to teach French Language at the British School some years back?

I (and the ball and chain) would be happy to go to Scalinies. Never been and never been to night out with people on this forum.

Hi All,

I am curious about life in the DQ.  I will be moving to Saudi shortly, but will be working in a different town.  How easy would it be for my to visit my boyfriend who lives in the DQ on weekends?  I keep hearing it might be dangerous.  We stand out more because we are a mixed race couple and I am part Arab.  I'm also guessing we won't be allowed to eat out together or walk around the DQ together....

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Saf

a_jambo wrote:

I (and the ball and chain) would be happy to go to Scalinies. Never been and never been to night out with people on this forum.

make sure you have full medical insurance cover....

make sure you have full medical insurance cover

:lol:

Any casualties reported, yet?