Should I move to England ?

Hi everyone

I'm a software developer from Malta. I'm thinking of moving abroad and I've been considering mostly Dublin or Edinburgh. I'm really open to any other english city (except London) but I assumed that the major cities would be the best for me to find a job.

I'm doing some research and it's a bit overwhelming to decide where to go. I know that some of you are already living in England, others are considering the move, etc. and I would appreciate any thoughts you might wish to share with me as to which city might do for me.

By the way, I'm 26 years old and single ... I don't want to move to a boring city.

Thanks
Sergio

PS ... I don't mind the cold weather ... actually I like it. We've got too much sun and heat over here in Malta :)

Hey Sergio,
Dublin and Edinburgh are great, so you can't really go wrong there, but you say you are keen for England?

Have you considered Liverpool or Manchester. Both these cities are about the 3rd or 4th largest in England, and they have a wealth to offer. Both have been noted for their cultural contribution over the last few years.

Alternatively, if you're looking for something even less 'main stream' have a look at Bristol or even the smaller Nottingham.

I hope this helps, although I'm sure wherever you go you'll have  a good time. I know people in all these cities and they love it. It's about your attitude and what you make of it.

All the best

1st

Hi 1st

Thanks a lot for your comments.

My main concern is about the IT and software industry in the city I choose coz I don't want to have too much trouble finding a job. But I'm really open to any city, coz then as you say it's all about my attitude.

I'll research some info about your suggestions ... thanks again ;)

sergio

Hi Sergio,

Just a word of advise, before you decide to move over, test your CV online by applying to jobs in your area. In IT, most of my contacts have been through www.monster.com, BD Recruitment and pfj Recruitment Consultants. Also, don't come with the idea that you will land on the the first job. There is now 2.5 million unemployed people in the UK and a lot are searching for jobs. Its a fierce market... specially in IT.

Best of luck,
Paul

Hey Paul many thanks for your comments.

I'm sort of putting a plan together for this move ... I thought I'd start looking for jobs in November and move in January. Even if I wouldn't have found a job I'll still move coz I think it will be easier to find a job if I live there (although I might be wrong).

Having checked vacancies on popular sites like monster and cwjobs, I found quite a large number of vacancies which I could apply for based on my qualifications and experience. However, I thought it would be early to start applying for jobs and then telling a potential employer that I'd be available in January ... but I would appreciate your thoughts on this if you have any experience.

One last thing ... I've got my eyes set on Reading, Berkshire. I've never been there but I read (no pun intended) that there are a lot of IT jobs there and someone said it's like a small london ... so i think I should be ok.

Thanks again
sergio

hello !
I am a French Teacher for foreigners in Paris and I am also planning to be moving to the UK ! ! I stayed one yera in London but I would prefer a smaller and friendly city too.. I think you could go to the UK for a few days in order to find a position without internet and meet companies.. That 's what I am going to do in Sept..LIke in Paris employers come from holidays and it is more friendly..Well inmy opinion !!! Here in Paris we suffer from joblessness in many sectors ( officially 11% but the reality is at least 15) As for me I might go to Bournemouth but I was thinking of Manchester too
good luck

If you don't want boring, and you want a multi-national city full of culture, Brighton is the best by a mile! I've had three friends visit me from finland in the last year, and now 2 of them live here! Give it a visit, I think you'll like it, the cultural scene in terms of music, art and eating out is amazing, and the clubs are really good to! it's a very liberal city