Visa Evaluation US Embassy

Sometimes it is surprising how a big institution like a US Embassy can commit silly mistakes.

Last week, my Ethiopian friend, owner of a well established company in Addis Ababa,- a smart, motivated, hardworking professional who could build a renowned firm from a scratch applied for a visa for a business trip to the States. Only to be turned down by an interviewing lady claiming that "there is no convincing reason for him to come back to Ethiopia".

What did u say? I asked him. He said "She asked for my monthly salary, I replied that I dont have a salary; I own a company; I earn the dividends". And she wont undestand such a staff. She insisted on some figure as a salary. She repeated the Q. I replied my monthly earning and gave her some figure. Way, lower than my earning. She couldnt believe her ears. She said "Are you sure?" That was way too much for her understanding of an Ethiopian's earning. I said "Yes!". Sfe finally said that "I dont believe that you will come back here after the trip"
I tried to imagine myself remaining there, wandering from place to place looking for shelter and jobs and bread, being jobless, facing the double dip recession, begging, waiting for asylums. And then, I considered what I have achieved here - my company, my prestige, my workers, my clients, the future growth potential.

And all I could say to the lady is "only in your dreams" "

You know its has always been difficulty like this for your friend and other eligible truthful ethiopians. True ethiopians want to better their life and go somewhere abroad. But proper evaluation of things is necessary. It really do suck...at least he own bussiness and all things...imagine those who get the chance in right reason finally turned out cause u didnt fill something or cause u dont look real couples...all those dramas...so..life goes on..America is not an end...just one place in this world...sorry if i sound negative..

Eclipse,

you are right. America is not all there is in the globe. And the good thing is that civilization and technology is heading twards a new destination- China, India and the like. Old days are past where everyone should go to the USA to learn new things. The chinese are there for the developing world and visa for businessmen has never been a problem.

Many Ethiopians are now heading to Chinese cities for business trips. And the result is really encouraging.

And my friend said the same thing "The Chinese are coming for us, and we are freely going there to tap into the growing technology from them"