Talented workers

:par::top: Hello. Got a question? Anybody have any stories concerning hiring a local "maestro" and finding out he or she was as professional and talented as a bucket of rocks?  Is it everywhere or just here in tungurahua province? People come up to me and say they are a maestro roofer, maestro welder, maestro automotive mechanic,  etc. When asked to produce some type of documentation, they walk away unbelieving you would treat them with such disrespect as to ask for a document that actually proves they are, in fact, a "maestro?. I think the term maestro is slightly over used, considering the lack of talent and work ethic common to my earlier life, before I moved  to ecuador. While conversing with some friends, the subject came up and we decided to throw it out in the internet and see what other people think. Any thoughts or stories would be appreciated. Thank you. Don Carlos

Hello,

Here in Ecuador, someone called "maestro" for plumbing, roof work, etc is usually someone who learned about it with someone else (another maestro) as an apprentice or trainee (aprendiz), but without going to any school (no papers available).Nevertheless, there are schools for maestros o artesanos in Ecuador.
The best way to find a "maestro"  for this kind of work is from someone else with whom he worked before, and could recommend him.