Studying arabic in morroco

Hi does anyone know where i can study arabic in fes with some reasonably tutiion fees.

Looking to move there around Sep on wards studying arabic.

It's better to study it here (in England). You will learn pure Modern Standard Arabic without picking up any Darija. Plenty of Arabic schools scattered around the country, with very reasonable prices.

Sorry I have to disagree with you!!!

Its always the best if you study a language in a country where it is spoken.
You don't only study from the books and lessons from a teacher but you can also learn from the locals.
And learning from them is the best and easiest way to learn.

If you want to study Arabic I advise you to study MSA: modern standard Arabic which is spoken trough the whole Arabic world and practice in media and official documents. Every one can understand and communicate with you although they sometimes speak to you in a dialect of Arabic. It will be easier for you to learn Fusha, the street language or the local dialect.

I believe Darija is spoken more so than Modern Standard Arabic, so learning from locals isn't very beneficial. If he was interested in studying in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, I would advise him to go, as it's more pure. But not Morocco, Algeria or Tunisia, due to the influence of other languages. I & many learnt pure MSA here in England without any problems.

Primadonna wrote:

Sorry I have to disagree with you!!!

Its always the best if you study a language in a country where it is spoken.
You don't only study from the books and lessons from a teacher but you can also learn from the locals.
And learning from them is the best and easiest way to learn.

If you want to study Arabic I advise you to study MSA: modern standard Arabic which is spoken trough the whole Arabic world and practice in media and official documents. Every one can understand and communicate with you although they sometimes speak to you in a dialect of Arabic. It will be easier for you to learn Fusha, the street language or the local dialect.

Can you understand or have you ever heard Moroccan Darija? If you are a native Arabic speaker from Amman, I bet you can't. If he learns MSA trying to understand Darija would be a hopeless task. So I'm afraid he wouldn't be studying "a language in a country where it is spoken" as MSA or nothing like MSA is spoken in Morocco in everyday life.

And although many, if not most Arabic-speaking Moroccans understand MSA, many have a great difficulty in speaking it. Perhaps I should also remind you that for about 40% to 50% of the population, their first language is Berber.

He was talking about studying Arabic not Darija and I give some advise.
Its up to him to take it or not.

Primadonna wrote:

And your advice was wrong. Here it is again:--

//Its always the best if you study a language in a country where it is spoken.
You don't only study from the books and lessons from a teacher but you can also learn from the locals//

"Arabic" (MSA) is barely spoken in Morocco, the local vernacular is Moroccan Arabic or Darija. So he won't be learning from "the locals". Not many Moroccans can converse fluently in MSA although they understand it. So he won't be learning from "the locals". 40% to 50% of "the locals" speak Berber as a first language and some know Darija. So he won't be learning from "the locals".

As for him taking advice, I hope he heeds the advice of someone who lives here rather than in faraway Amman.

Now, to get back to the question. Fez is held to be a good place to learn Arabic, either Darija or MSA - there are some good language schools there. Please remember though that you will not be able to learn MSA in Morocco by immersion!

Primadonna wrote:

He won't be learning the kind of Arabic he is looking forward to learn, from the locals in Morocco. I already made that clear, and so has Laduqesa.

Hi everybody,

We are all here to share our opinion and try to help each other, now its up to the initiator to decide whether he still wants to move or not.

Thank you

Priscilla  :cheers:

It's not an opinion that the majority of locals do not speak Modern Standard Arabic or something very close to it. I'm sharing facts. He may have wrongly assumed Morocco is like other Arabic-speaking countries, when it's not.

Priscilla wrote:

Hi everybody,

We are all here to share our opinion and try to help each other, now its up to the initiator to decide whether he still wants to move or not.

Thank you

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hello Priscilla. Thank you for your intervention.

I just want to make it clear that when I give an opinion, I say it's an opinion, something like "I like Casablanca" or "I think that wild boar tastes lovely". Others have a right to their opinions too, although we can all disagree! However, when people assert things as "facts" and they are incorrect, I think it's perfectly reasonable, indeed obligatory, to challenge them and present the correction, especially when the previous information was so wrong that it could have caused someone to make a very expensive move to a foreign country by mistake.

Regards

It is clear that allof you have difficulties in reading comprehension.

First of all: he asked information about studying Arabic in Morocco. As far as I know he didn't mention the Moroccan Arabic. If he did I didn't reply. I said IF he wants to study Arabic its best to do MSA. Nine out of ten people of the Arabic world will agree. I know that the Magreb is a bit different. I never said that he must learn MSA from the locals. I clearly said that if the can speak MSA it would be easier for him to speak the local Arabic where ever he is. If Darija or Berber is the spoken language then so be it and its best to learn this from the locals.

Secondly: its up to the OP of my advise is right or wrong. How can you say Iaduqesa that my advise is wrong?
Have you ever studied a foreign language in the country where its spoken? If you do, then you know its the best way to learn it. Why do you think why so many international students study in a foreign country? To learn from the locals as well.

Anyway, I am done with it. The OP didn't reply on the comments he get and I will ask the team to close this thread.

-closed-

Closed