Racism in Erbil + working as woman

Hello guys,

I get a job proposal from an international Company in Erbil but before accepting it I need from you some help regarding 2 aspects:

- I am a black guy and I would like to know if ther're some black people there and how local behave this them. I have read on post saying that some "color people" were not treat very well. is it correct? what do you thing about that?

- Am married and my wife is architect, she would like to set up her own company or maybe join an agency. what about women and work? is it allowed? maybe some restrictions? dangerous for them because she will talk and work with man?

Please kindly help

We don't have problems in color skin in Erbil and our treatment with them is normal, because as a Muslim god mentioned in Quran there is no difference between human and colors and we are going based on this and 98% ok Kurdish are Muslim, and regarding your wife, it is allowed for woman work and they are like men here, welcome to Erbil.

Hello,

I have met some Kenyans who are very educated and working in business offices. There were I think 5 working in the same office. I have also met about 3 men who work in restaurant and they are also Kenyan,

There is one man I occasionally see as he shops for his groceries and he is Canadian and happens to be black. Two other ladies are working as teachers at a for profit school and happen to be black Americans.

Other than that I have not seen too many black people who were not here working as civilian contractors for the US military or on diplomatic compounds. But I really do not go too many places other than to the mall to buy my food and to work.

There are a lot of Indians here  from India who have various skin tones as well as people from the Philippines and Indonesia. The majority of the people I see here who have various skin tones and are expats seem to be working in unskilled occupations.

There is quite a bit of prejudice against people of darker skin tones among the locals. However I think if you take precautions and travel around with friends the impact will be minimal for you other than the offense that comes with people assuming you are working in an unskilled occupation because of your skin tone. You are rather likely to get stared at and children are curious which is something that happens to me and my blonde colleagues all the time. I have noticed that most of the darker skinned Iraqis are from villages or working in unskilled occupations and there is a decided preference here for marriage to fair skinned women.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Forgot to mention about your wife. I am a woman here and I find the behavior of the men to be troubling. They stare at me and sometimes harass me with their crude gestures and asking me for sex. This happens a lot when I go to the market areas around the Citadel or even from taxi drivers. I do not go out at night and try to go places with groups of women.

I am careful with my clothing and cover everything except for my hands and feet. I do not act friendly. I am not a beautiful woman  so this behavior surprises me.

After living here for a while I have established a network of taxi drivers I know well so that stopped the harassment from using random drivers. I have also invented a husband and started wearing a "wedding ring" when out in public. This helps slow down the problems also.

In this culture men and women do not talk to each other unless in the same family. In the workplace men and women keep their distance. I am not sure about setting up a business and how that would work. Maybe it could work ok if she had a lot of expat clients? I really don't know. Women in this culture let men go first in lines, while driving, etc. There is a woman only line at local bakeries which is nice. At social events men and women socialize in separate rooms like at funerals, etc. Weddings seem to be together for whole group dancing.

A black woman, who used to work with me, reported that at an official company event a high ranking local person cornered them after asking to be shown to the event room and said, "Show me yours" while pointing at her breasts. She told the man, "No" and was very scared as he blocked her way out of the room. Luckily she got away fast. I know the man in question and he has never acted in this way with white female employees. So I would certainly caution your wife to set up her office so that her office area is very public and there are always other people around when she meets with clients and that she should never meet with clients alone. Things like this are not reported to the police here because it would be ineffective and everyone is interconnected so it could have serious repercussions if the person doing the bad stuff is embarrassed and high ranking. I was shocked by this. Men are kings here.

I see lots of men here having business meetings in various coffee shops but rarely see a woman unless she is an arm ornament for a man. Another woman I know who is Turkish and light skinned flew in for a convention/expo at the Erbil Convention Center representing her company. She brought some male coworkers too. While she was at her company  booth at the expo a constant stream of local men gave her their room numbers and phone numbers because they assumed she was a prostitute hired by the company to entertain them in exchange for their consideration of doing business with that company. She was totally outraged by this continuous behavior on the part of the men and said she would never return here to do business again.

I like living here but there isn't much to do. I love hot, dry weather and Erbil is growing fast. Now we have a few malls to choose from. Good luck with your decision.