Living in Zakho - Iraq

dear all,

after completion a 1 year contract at Sabis - Sulaymaniyah, now my husband is getting renewal of contract but the school decided to move him to zakho international school of sabis.

Does anyone know about this city, safety, environment, stores, etc?

appreciate your kindness attention

Regards,

Where exactly is he teaching? At the ISC or at a PPP school? I work for SABIS also, in Duhok, which is about 45 minutes from Zakho. I've only been to Zakho once to do some shopping. They have a decent sized City Center there for shopping and it's close to the border of Turkey. Some of the other teachers cross the border into Turkey there and then take a flight or car further in for vacation. We have another staff member that is the trainer in Zakho, so she goes everyday. The winter is beautiful if you like snow. I don't know how much snow you get in Suli, but in Zakho it's really nice weather.

The director is a great guy, but new, so he's been doing a lot of training at our school and the ISC in Erbil. I've met all the teachers from Zakho, except the expats. There are a number that lived in the US and one that lived in the UK. They seem nice enough.

I hope that helps :-)

Hey there Wingsgirl... thanks for reply

He actually teach for teachers project from Minister of Education of Kurdistan... and now his contract will end in june 2012.. then sabis offer him to move and teach at Zakho International School...

And actually i'm not living with him since he has to share his apartment with his roommate... so, do you think it's possible for him to get a private apartment so i can live and stay with him while he's in zakho.. i don't know how much is the range of salary there, but he said that the salary is too low for his experience and his age.. he's going to be 40 this year :)
Plus, some of his friends in Sulai now don't recommend him to move to zakho :) so, i kinda confuse about the situation...

really appreciate if you can help with the information that can make him confirm to move...

regards,

Hi there,

I'm a little confused. Is he a SABIS employee or a ministry of education employee? Is he Kurdish or foreign? What position are they offering him?

Anyway, if he has any questions about housing he should contact HR or whoever is giving him the contract. Why don't you work for SABIS also? The salary depends on many things, again if he is SABIS or MOE.

The good thing about Zakho is that it is a new school with a good opportunity for advancement. I'm not sure how it is in Suli.

Sabis hired him as teachers trainer at the minister of education of kurdistan. So he's not working at the ISC but people from ISC's HR take care of his teaching materials.

I did send my CV to sabis for an admin or teacher assistant... but they said that there's no vacant position yet :(
maybe because im not english native speaker and also i dont have teaching certificate lol..

Thanks anyway, he spoke to one of the HR in ISC maybe he will have the decision on monday :)

Cheers,

Hai Moyta78,

your husband was living in Sulaymaniyah? are u indonesian? i'm curious because your location is in Solo ;) if yes, so happy to find other indonesian too in Suly. And about Zukho, i will try to ask my husband about it, hopefuly his local kurdish friends will help.