Employment Law for expat working for local PT company ?

HI everyone

I am over in Jakarta till friday and have had a successful interview with a local PT company who has offered me a two year inital contract..being Green as I am.. my question is..

what protection do I have from indonesian law if my employer wants to out me before the end of my contract!  . . Or is there a standard expat clause I should be putting in the contract !?

Any advice would be greatful .

Roy

Hi Roy,

The most important thing is that the company provide to you the KITAS and the right work permit (IMTA), this you will need to clarify and it should be stated in the contract also that they pay the annual fee of USD 1.200.

I am not a lawyer so do not know until what extend your are protected with your contract. But I believe some other members in the forum will give you advises.

Pls bear in mind that the IMTA will belong to the company and not to you, so whatever the reason of breaching the contract will be, you can not just work for another company.

Are there other expats working for the same company?? If so, perhaps you should talk to them also as long you are around to get more background.

However, good luck with your new position coming up here. These days it is more and more difficult for foreigners getting a job in Indonesia.

Hi

Thanks for the reply... I will be the first and only expat at the moment for the company so this is all new territory for bothparties so hopefully others can advise me some more .....

Regards

Ps do I still have to leave indonesia every year to renew my kitas by going to sinagpore ? Or is that not applicable if I am working for a PT company ?

The working permit and Kitas is usually valid for 1 year and can be extended without leaving Indonesia.

If your PT do not have any experience yet, if you are the first foreign employee, you have to make sure that they know the procedures how to apply a work permit.

Just this year there a number of changes, implemented by the Manpower Department, that's where the company need to deal with first.

For new applications the whole procedure can take up to 6 weeks before all finished and you can start the work.

Never start working here earlier on another visa even though your work permit application is under process.