Gibraltar State Pension and UK State Pension

I have found basic information on this on the Gibraltar gov website that indicates that currently, women have a pensionable age of 60 and it requires a total of 2000 social insurance contributions to obtain a full pension and 520 social insurance contributions for a minimum pension.

If those are weekly contributions, then it looks like it will take around 38 years worth to achieve a full pension and 10 years for a minimum one. Is this correct and what is the weekly sum if voluntarily paid or % of income for this contribution?  And what is the current minimum and full pension rates? Their website said the standard rate is £425.07 and so I assume this is the full pension rate per month.

How does this work with a UK state pension?

I will achieve my 35 years contribution for my UK pension in about 10 years and know that I can pay contributions while living overseas. I have another 20 years worth of employment left in me if my health holds out.

Would I be able to get my full state pension and a partial Gib state pension if I managed to contribute for at least 10 years? Or are they collapsed or wipe each other out, for example? Or will I not be able to make voluntary contributions to my UK state pension while in Gib?

Thanks for your advice.

It takes 43 years for us men to get a full pension  :(

The one thing to bear in mind is if you are resident in Gib there is an extra payment, Community Care that you need 15 yrs of contributions for, this is at the moment just over £300 per month.

I get a smallish state pension from UK and slightly more from Gib, but they add up to more than the basic of each country due to the different qualifying periods. :)

I believe you are correct that you can continue your UK payments to achieve a full UK pension as this is totally separate to the Gib one.

Please note pensions in Gib are tax free which is useful if you have a private one.

Regards

Grumpy

I haven't found much info on the community care charge. I first read your sentence and thought 'blimey, how on earth does a person find £300 a month to pay it for that amount of time'. Then I found on a fairly old web page that it is something that is paid out 'Community Care Payment (Aged 60-65)   This is a payment made at age 60+ through a private social security charitable company, which relies heavily on government funding.'  Is that info still accurate? Is it means tested?

So a retired state pensioner in Gib with full contributions will receive about £725 a month in pension and CCC versus £489 maximum state pension in the UK? And there are some lucky souls that have paid in both locations and will enjoy up to £1214 in state pensions, increasing to £1331 when the UK state pension rises to an anticipated £140. That's equivalent to a UK taxable salary of 20k...I expect it only applies to a few souls and if you've worked for 40 plus years, it's deserved.

On the topic of the discrimination between male/female retirement age and contributions, perhaps this will change either due to financial pressures or EU law or Gibralta's judiciary system? When I reviewed the very slow lag between the UK and EU countries rules versus the rather late and almost grudging decisions made in Gibraltar on same sex marriage/adoption equality, etc, it seems that some rules are forced onto the government when they aren't motivated to bring themselves into line with modernity.

The great EU bringing in ludicrous laws did you know you have to be 24 now to take your full Motorcycle test.

Andy1964 wrote:

The great EU bringing in ludicrous laws did you know you have to be 24 now to take your full Motorcycle test.

No, wasn't aware of that one but since I recall my immature brother let loose on public  roads before that age, including stuffing a sock into the exhaust,  perhaps that's not one of their worst ones.

I don't currently understand the full reasons for the inexcusable delay on the island to bring in same sex relationship equality and if the main driver came from Gib political parties, their judiciary or basic EU laws.

However,  I think without some kind of independent pressure, some of the British Overseas Territories and UK Crown dependencies would be virtually nepotistic feudal places with the most backwards and discriminatory of laws because they occupy some kind of bubble, excusing their prejudices on the grounds of 'tradition' and local culture.

The EU costs the UK £55 million a day does Gibraltar get some of the wedge ?