Extend VOA visa?

Going to be heading off to Bahrain soon. I usually do a visit on arrival visa, the last three times I've been. However this time, thinking about doing an eVisa because I might have to extend my stay.

Have heard some woeful stories on the eVisa process - mostly that nothing materialises!

So, would I be able to extend my tourist visa, if I got a visa on arrival? I'd much rather get one on arrival than think about where on earth my eVisa status was at. But if I can't get a regular on arrival visa extended... then might have to risk the eVisa.

Oh, btw, if it helps, British citizen with UK passport.

Hi,

I guess a visa on arrival could be extended as per the evisa (link) website, it has to be done at the NPRA ( The General Directorate of Nationality, Passports & Residence )

"Extension conditions:     
This visa may be extended at NPRA in Bahrain on payment of a fee."

I hope this information provided on web still holds good, if anyone else has done this i'm sure they would reply back

T&R
Arjun

It can be extended, it is true. As far as I know, you cannot apply for eVisa while you are in Bahrain. You have to have exited the country and apply for eVisa. I do recommend you leaving the country as soon as possible and entering it again.

I always do my evisa's from Bahrain. I just use a VPN. Apply online - pay BD7 and write your reference number down. A few days later you get your e visa - please note that this does NOT guarantee you a visa on arrival. When you get to the customs desk they will stamp your passport identically to the last few times you have been here and give you out the identical piece of paper from their machine. Once your 3 months is up (check it's 3 months before leaving customs) you just go to the office stated above, pay BD5 and get a new stamp and a new cash receipt (piece of paper) when that expires you have to fly out and back in again (and then happily go around in circles!!) Fly every 6 months, ministry every 6 months (alternating of course)

Cheers for all the knowledge guys :) I'll be heading to Bahrain soon, so didn't want to risk applying for an eVisa and it not coming through in time. Will just do the usual and get one when I get there.

Seriously, you guys are brilliant. Get exactly the info I've been looking for whenever I ask a question here. Granted, it's only been two so far, but you're 100% so far. One day, maybe I'll be able to help some people out :)

I got a VOA nearly 3 months ago when I flew into Bahrain so I'm due to renew mine within the next few days, I'll let you know if there are any problems. Fingers crossed :)

Thanks for your lovely comments steamsmyclams. I'm glad we were able to help.

Smooch303 - be really good to know if you have any hitches in that, please keep me updated :)

Thanks again, guys :)

Hi,

Just a little update on this.
I got my visa extension today with no problems. Well, the only problem was finding the place and putting up with the guys staring.
I actually met an agent while I was there who seemed quite decent and who gave me some good advice and his phone number so I won't have to do it myself again.

Big thanks to brightonguy for the detailed advice too :)

Thanks for the update, smooch303! Good to hear it all went smoothly for you. Hoping, if and when I need to do the same, I have a similar outcome.

Hi Smooch and steamsmyclams - doing the visa extension takes 5 mins if you get there at 8am. Do not pay an agent to do something that is very, very simple. When I did my first visa extension I took 6 forms and took 5 home so I can now fill them in prior to going - will probably take 2 mins next time.

If you struggle with the form, go to the counter when called and just shrug and smile, they will do it for you.

I went at 3.30pm as recommended by someone and it was so quick, I had 1 person in front of me.

I didn't even fill my form in properly and they didn't question it at all.

But certainly I felt uncomfortable with the men looking at me but I have got a thing about that, I don't like it at all.
If it's a case of the agent charging 5bd to do it for me then certainly I'll pay him to do it but then I am rather lazy.

Steamsmyclams, I'm happy to pass on the information I got given when the time comes for you to do this.

If you can't handle men looking at you then you have either moved to the wrong country or you need to buy an abaya :-)

Looking isn't harmful and you should feel proud that you turn a few heads. You have a cheap agent, keep hold of him :-)

I'm pretty used to people staring when I used to live in china but I don't like it when they make me feel awkward as most woman wouldn't but yes I'll take it as a compliment that I turn heads :)

Perhaps it would be helpful to share the detailed advice given by Brightonguy so anyone else going to do it themselves knows how easy it is.

Having gone to Immigration every month for months on end it becomes second nature but the first time is daunting and it's good to learn from other's experiences.

I have always found everyone in there really helpful and they have never made me feel uncomfortable.

I believe the advice actually came from you originally scottrace. As a regular there, I will let you do the honours. I would only copy and paste your message anyway.

One thing I would say is, I would give a more detailed description of the location as i couldn't find it on the internet and I had to ask a few people on the street too but I'm still rather unfamiliar with the area to post directions.

Heh, have got looks before while over there and sort of what I expected. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Josnuggles - I take it the form is similar to the one you gotta fill in at the airport. Correct?

Thanks for the tips guys :)