Grace Period After Work Visa Expires

I've read conflicting info on how long one has to leave Bahrain once a work visa expires. I will try to contact the LMRA, but I wanted to ask here too.

Does a person who's work visa expires, and their dependent family who's residency visas expire at the same time, have 30 days grace period for leaving Bahrain? If yes, are there still monetary fines for this?

Thanks.

Update -

I've spoken to the LMRA. They have no issue with this, as they told me that a work visa actually remains valid in their system for six months beyond it's expiration date before it is officially cancelled (unless the employer actively cancels it). They said that Immigration might have a problem with it though and to check with them.

I tried to call Immigration and got the run around. I was passed from one person to another and eventually told to visit the office to try to find the answer to my question.

Does anyone know what the answer might be? My and my family's residency visa's expire the same day as my work visa. If working up to the end of the work visa, obviously we would be overstaying our residency visas by some period of time. I understand that up to 30 days is acceptable, but that there is likely to be a monetary penalty for this. I've not been able to get this confirmed or find out how much that penalty would be.

As I recall from when my husband left his previous employer in Bahrain, when you submit your passport to have your work visa cancelled, they write in the date by which you have to leave the country, which is usually 30 days ahead.  I don't think there is any financial penalty if you leave within this time.  If you stay beyond, then there would probably be a fine at immigration when you leave, but no idea how much. You can always do a quick trip to Doha/Dubai and come in on a tourist visa if the 30 days isn't long enough to wind everything up.

As I recall from when my husband left his previous employer in Bahrain, when you submit your passport to have your work visa cancelled, they write in the date by which you have to leave the country, which is usually 30 days ahead.  I don't think there is any financial penalty if you leave within this time.  If you stay beyond, then there would probably be a fine at immigration when you leave, but no idea how much. You can always do a quick trip to Doha/Dubai and come in on a tourist visa if the 30 days isn't long enough to wind everything up.

I was told the same

That sounds encouraging, but in that case did the residency permit still have time left at the time the work permit was cancelled? In this case the residency permit will have expired before the work permit actually gets cancelled (or at a minimum at the same time).

I think his work and residency were cancelled together as I recall, but it was a while ago, so I may be wrong.

Currently I am still in country on an expired work permit now 90 days past expiration date.  I have not found new employment.  Will I be forced to leave or can I continue with an overstay?  My employer never renewed our visas and currently owe us back salaries.  Are there no penalty if involved with suing our employer?  Or are we still required to leave?

You could have overstayed after expiry by approaching LMRA/NPRA and requesting one-off extensions which can go up to a few months after expiry.  But it doesn't seem you did that.

Overstaying leaves you open to fines and in some cases, jail and deportation.

You need to consult a lawyer immediately.  They can sort out your legal status for you.  From your profile, it seems you are an American citizen so once you clear your current status, you can exit and enter on visit visas easily to pursue your case against the employer.

Should have grace of period after visa expired..

No.  Grace period is 30 days from the day the visa expires and can be extended by another 30 days.  The poster has stayed 90 days already without getting any extension.

Any idea on how to apply for extension of grace period before the initial 30 days gets over?

Go to LMRA.

How can check work visa expire date.

It is on the sticker that is in your passport.

My mum visa expires 2 month complete
she visa is housemaide visa plz Tall if eny fine

Check with NPRA.  But for residence visas, overstaying after expiry will create problems for you.

My working visa will expire by the 8th of September.  Do I have up till 8th October as my month of Grace?

@Fombang Theophile

30 days from the date of expiry. Please note that the employer needs to cancel the visa on the last day. or else you cannot exit or apply for new visa and you will have to get an extension.

Do we have to apply for the grace period after the expiration of the work permit or are the 30 days granted systematically ?

Also, why does the employer need to cancel the visa since it will expire anyway ?

Its granted systematically. Employer can get a refund for the remaining period i guess.

T&R

My visa expired 15 days ago but still my employer wants me to work without renewing it.

I told them that im not going to work anymore but they threatening me that is anti legal to do that.

Im going to check to lmra.

Before i do that is there any suggestion?

As you mentioned visit LMRA.

@XTang

hi I have questions if my visa expires do dependents also have grace period?

Yes, i believe.

Once your visa expires or gets cancelled, both you and your dependents have a 30 day grace period from the day of expiry for each visa.

My Visa expired on 14 January 2024 I have an offer letter from another company I told the company to apply for a new visa for me but they told me first I have to cancel my visa from my Old employer then I can apply for a new visa I don't understand it because my Visa is already expired how could I cancel it I really confused now kindly help me what should I do now

Go to lmra website, check your visa status and show them that your visa is cancelled and it's in grace period.

But it's shows "Work Visa is Expired" 

Expired means you have exceeded your grace period, I would recommend you visit NPRA check for the fine you have to pay and exit the country. If it's grace period it would show "employment visa is in grace period".

I need to know that my visa was cancelled by the company that i worked before and they hold my passport and they told me that they will make my status as runaway. i went to lmra in last in last week but there is no any reply

and i got an message that you are eligible for apply LMRA visa and i went to bfc for applying LMRA VISA but they  need the original passport

if my grace period is expired if there is any possibility to apply LMRA visa

Read this https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=841333