Where to find some really good French pastries in Riyadh?!!!

Hi all,

I ve been craving a mille-feuille (for those of you who are not familiar with it pls check the pic here: http://sarawastibus.files.wordpress.com … 7ais_1.jpg also I love to have French baguettes every now & then but it seems it's hard to get an authentic or close.
Any tips on where to find these goodies..? I'll be thankful. (A lot)

There used to be a plkace called French Corner on Dabbab Street that disged out a variety of such delicious stuff in the old days. Not sure whether they are still open for business.

We use DIPLOMAT on Aruba Road who are quite good but am not sure you wll find all of those "froggy" goodies that you seek in there.

I've seen this around in the 'fresh bakery' section of some of the supermarkets but can't vouch for the quality.

A Saudi friend keeps telling me about the excellent bakery at the new Panorama shopping center.  Might be worth looking into?

musicman wrote:

There used to be a plkace called French Corner on Dabbab Street that disged out a variety of such delicious stuff in the old days. Not sure whether they are still open for business.

never tried them, but they seem to be still open. its in sulaimania area right?

OMG you guys are the BEST. Thanks Musicman, Alliecat and Salman..now the hunt for the treasure is about to start ;)

french corner is very much open and has good pastries...u can go there...i dont know the name of the place but i can guide you.
wen mama noura is on your right, go straight. at the junction, it is the right corner shop

Great! Thanks so much for the directions!!
Today I tried the vanilla mille feuille from the bakery at Panorama's bakery (Pain d'or), but unfortunately it didn't really  taste like what a mille feuille should taste like!

bon apetit, Alisan

hey alisan, let me know wen u r going there...i can come anywhere for a pastry treat ;)

hey! how about us? we enjoy french pastries too

I have never been, but does Wooden Bakery carry any French pastries?

On that note, does anybody know what happened to the windmill at Wooden Bakery? It has been missing for a number of weeks now...

maybe theyve loaned it to Holland as a mascot for the World Cup?

WOW.. I drove past the Wooden Bakery a few weeks ago (at night) and did notice that the blade of the windmill (or the entire thing?!!?) was missing!

Yes, for a few weeks only one blade was missing...and then they removed the whole windmill device.

I drove by again yesterday and the entire setup is still missing. It is sad really, because that was the easiest way to describe to people how to get to Siteen street.

that was the easiest way to describe to people how to get to Siteen street.

:lol::lol::lol:

This is really so funnny .. where else in the world but here ?!?

Maybe I should just go ahead look for the recipe & bake a batch & send to you all!!  :cool:

send?  If you bake 'em, I'll host another Eagle Party!!!! :D

If anyonbe living in Riyadh does not know Sitteen Street they sure need a GPS...

Alliecat wrote:

send?  If you bake 'em, I'll host another Eagle Party!!!! :D

I'll try baking in my cruddy oven for an Eagle's Dessert Party!

Yalaktoboureko....that's Greek for cream pie in filo drizzled with syrup and dusted in cinnamon :P

You guys are killing me - talking about all this delicious food and another Eagle Dessert party!  I just spent two hours at the gym trying to work off my vacation!  :lol::lol::lol:lol

But, of course I'm game!  :top:

loanna, i almost lost my dentures trying to say "Yalaktoboureko"

musicman wrote:

loanna, i almost lost my dentures trying to say "Yalaktoboureko"

Yeah, it's all Greek to me :lol: