Living in Buenos Aires

Hi everybody,

Is Buenos Aires a good place to live? Is it complicated to find a job and an accomodation in Buenos Aires?

Any tips to share with us?

Thanks for your participation ;)

Julien

It's a wonderful place to live - finding a job with non Argentina low wages however is difficult - It's still a 3rd World country although when you visit the capital that's hard to recognise - It has been named the Paris of South America for good reason - Beautiful Architecture - People - Culture etc etc!

I'm in a good mood today - so I'd say BA is a fantastic place to live! Had I have posted this last week (when trying to get >600 pesos out of a bank here) I would have probably answered differently!!

Accomdation is abundant and reasonably priced. However, the system means it's very hard for non-residents to find anything under $600 US/month. Basically you need a garantia (garantor)and recibo de sueldo (pay slip) to get the same deal a local would. If you don't have either of these you're basically limited to the plethora of monthly tourist rentals available (google for websites).

If you put the effort in you might find a landlord who is willing to take 6-12months rent upfront instead. The inmobilarios won't help you here - scouring Clarin is the only way.

If you do have garantia+pay slip then rents seem to average around 900-1000 pesos/month....unfurnished, and barrio dependent obv.

There are isolated pockets of beauty here in the capital, but I'd disgaree with quikroute and say mostly BA is a concrete jungle, with architecturally intersting buildings being torn down (to be replaced with tower blocks) every day. Outside of BA Argentina itself is geographically beautiful...offering a lot of everything (Iguazu, The Andes, Ice sheets in Patagonia and deserts in the north).

Oh, and the local ladies are very beautiful too!

Hi Perpetual Traveller,

I had the same problem with the atm's and could only get 300 pesos at a time but try the new atm's in Citibank (not the Banelco ones) - They have touch screens and I can get 1500 pesos at a time.

cheers, Quickroute

I'll give Citibank a shot for sure, thanks.

Hello, I finally found a nice apartment to live and it did cost me 2 years. In the meantime we lived in a family hotel which is a very interesting way of living. I didn't know it before and never saw it, i know a lot of Argentine people whom never entered in one. The family hotel in which we lived had  150 quarters (habitacíones) and it's a world on it's own. I think it's specially invented for imigrants....but in the early times.
Anyway, I love to live in Buenos Aires with all the goods and bads visible.

Hola Sandrita,

Do you have details, i.e. name, address or website for the family hotel you mentioned?

hello quickroute,
i'm sorry it took me so long to react, the address of the family hotel is in san telmo and it doesn't have a name nor website . It is very hard to get in, you are screened by the responsable person and they just tell you that there are no rooms available. The address is Balcarce. Bye!

Julien wrote:

Hi everybody,

Is Buenos Aires a good place to live? Is it complicated to find a job and an accomodation in Buenos Aires?

Any tips to share with us?

Thanks for your participation ;)

Julien

coucou Julien!

I just posted a long term apartment on my blog that could be a great option for someone looking for a non guarantia place..It's not my apartment nor am I taking a commission, just wanted to make that little distinction. I just always try to let people know when these types of rentals come up.