Jizan Living

Salaamu 'Alaikum guys,

I live in Jizan city, so for anyone intersted about this area, I can tell you a bit about it.  Firstly, it's pretty expensive to live here compared to the rest of the country.  It rarely rains, and it's real dirty.  It's very hot, and the driving is pure insanity.  But the people are very friendly, kind and warm hearted, especially compared to the rest of the country.  And if you know the areas, there's a lot of very interesting scenery.  There's the Farasan islands, the Khoba souq where they sell hawks and cobras, the hot springs, and Abha is just a 2 hour drive.  You can go to the Souda mountains and catch a cable car with pretty sharp and steep drops.

Good enjoy your life. Dont complain much  :)

Hey stop complaining be happy what u have god created this earth [moderated]  :unsure

Even i have been to Jizan for like 3 months and i really enjoyed there...that time i came across heavy rainy season in september and november. yes i agree the weather over there is really harsh.
But the thing i enjoyed most was that many small cities /towns are near Jizan and people have huge choices to spend their weekends in any such towns just for a fun or for a change

By the way i found Sabiya more clean and organized as compare to Jizan

Firstly, it's pretty expensive to live here compared to the rest of the country.

Really?  What is that based on?  Can you clarify and give examples?

It rarely rains, and it's real dirty.  It's very hot, and the driving is pure insanity.

That describes most of the country.

i don't find it expensive at all.it is just like any other small city in KSA. honestly speaking somehow i find it cheap while buying household items and grocerries

Trapezius wrote:

Firstly, it's pretty expensive to live here compared to the rest of the country.

Really?  What is that based on?  Can you clarify and give examples?

It rarely rains, and it's real dirty.  It's very hot, and the driving is pure insanity.

That describes most of the country.

Hey Trapz,

As for examples, then the most glaring and obvious one would be rents paid here as compared to other places.  I've personally lived all over Saudi.  I've lived in Jeddah (1year), Dammam (1year), Abha (1year), and a few months in Jubail.  By comparison, Jizan is the most expensive in that department.  It wasn't always like that.  But there are 2 main reasons why rents are expensive here.  The first is because of the fighting that happened in Yemen.  The government basically repatriated the border villages into the city to keep them safe from the Houthi's.  The second is because Jizan University, which caused a huge pilgrimage of students from surrounding villages towards the city.  So, low supply, high demand, expensive rent.  Now that Aramco, South Steel, Hyandai, Daewoo, and Saudi Electric are all setting up here, it probably won't help with the rents.

The second example of Jizan being expensive would be in your prices for furniture and appliances.  This, I found out by fluke.  I remember going to Jeddah from Jizan, and ended up in Centerpoint/Home Center, and I was shocked at the difference in prices at the furniture.  For the same items in Jeddah, they would regularly be more than 1000 SAR cheaper than in Jizan.  I know because I had bought some furniture like desks in Jizan, and the same things in Jeddah were much cheaper.

And yes, little rain describes most of Saudi, but I was giving a general overview of Jizan.  In Abha, the weather there is actually quite amazing.  They have rain, fog, very clean and fresh air with regular cool breezes, and occasionally snow in Sooda.  In al-Aaridah, and Faifa, which are parts of the Jazan region, you'd be amazed at how pleasant the weather is.  That's just not Jizan.  Pretty much hot and humid all the time, and in the summer, sand storms galore.

tom021083 wrote:

Hey stop complaining be happy what u have god created this earth or else you go to hell  :unsure

Dude, relax.  Nobody's complaining.  I'm giving an honest assessment of Jizan, that's it.

Miss Arts wrote:

i don't find it expensive at all.it is just like any other small city in KSA. honestly speaking somehow i find it cheap while buying household items and grocerries

Hey Miss Arts,

There are actually a few things here which may be cheaper than other places, like fish and gold.  But in general, yeah, it's more expensive than other places.  If you have any friends here, ask them how much they pay in rent, and compare it to yours.  If you get a housing subsidy, compare it to people living here.  And ask them how much they pay for furniture and appliances and compare to Jeddah.

Ok Dudes, Thanks for your humbleness
God bless you  :)

Very informative thread. Thanks.

Your welcome,

One love !!!  :D