The other side of the Ecuadorian postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Ecuador, how would you describe the two sides of your Ecuadorian postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Ecuador is blessed with no terrorism and practically no racial or cultural disharmony. Having travelled around Latin America I would say Ecuador has less poverty and crime than most other L.A. countries.The rate of unemployment is relatively low (not as bad as some European countries such as Spain, Portugal and Italy). You see very few beggars on the streets, and on the whole Ecuadorians are very friendly and accomodating. Quito has lots  of big modern shopping American-style shopping malls. The cost of living in Ecuador is about a third or less compared to the cost of living in Western Europe.

On the negative side, like many countries, there is poverty, and crime exists out of desperation. You have to take sensible security precautions as in most parts of the world, such as not displaying valuables when out and about and not venturing down dark alleys alone at night. A bug bear of mine is that pedestrian zebra crossings exist, but are not obeyed by motorists. Also, the pavements everwhere are true obstacle courses, often forcing you to walk in the street. But roads and highways are pretty good by South American standards. Nuts are expensive and difficult to find, brazil nuts are unknown in Ecuador.

Russell Eaton deliveredonline.com

Ecuador is the most diverse place I have ever seen in a country this small. It is only 283.550 km2. The variety also manifests in the people, the language, the scenery and the weather. Life in Ecuador is full of challenges as it is far from the sophistication of many countries I visited, but the one thing that makes this place first world is its people. The family and community orientation, as well as the respect for ancestral values, principles and traditions is remarkable. One can feel the "return to basics" and the reset of priorities towards "a life in harmony with others" feeling here, that no advanced country can offer.

In the other hand, due to the same values, dont expect bend over backwards for the customer type of service here: family and community time is priority. People that dont allow things to flow, following its own times, that cant respect the cultural values, appreciate other's personal time and pretend to control everything, including others, are in for a big surprise. Thankfully, we dont live in corporate times but Ecuadorian ones. Likewise, wealth here is not measured by accumulation of material goods, but by belonging to a family and observing good manners and respect for both the family and community. In short, this place is perfect for those that can appreciate a radically different culture, and very defficient for those wanting to impose or expect that of their country of origin.

In August of last year, I came for 10 days, and I fell in love with Samborondon, a really nice part of Guayaquil, Ecuador. I was staying with a young couple in their 3 bedroom/2 bathroom bungalow and they showed me around, and also took me to look at some apartments. I really liked one by the river Daule and the landlady was terrific. She actually kept it for me until my return in late November, and I have been living here on an extended Visiting Visa, applying for my permanent Resident Visa now. I have adjusted quickly, and I like the heat, like the locals, babble away in what little Spanish I have learned, and have met a few new acquaintances. Also attend International Meetings. The food is great and a tad less expensive, fantastic apartment for reasonable rent, and I am doing well.

On the down-side would be the traffic, basically seems to have no "rules of the road" and took some getting used to. I am not thinking of getting a car for quite a while. It also took some getting used to the gas tanks for the stove and the hot water, not being able to throw toilet paper in the toilet, not being able to drink tap water and often being the victim of somebody thinking I am some rich American lady, who can afford to pay double. Not happening with me. I am a fast learner, when it comes to people trying to take advantage. The city of Guayaquil has nearly 4 million inhabitants, and could use a few adjustments, like a good clean-up, more restoration, more building up, and better bus service. In time, I am hoping, that will be achieved.

We fell in love with Quito. Its grandeur downtown, its size and the weather.  You don't see expats at every turn, you have to learn some spanish.  Buses run everywhere!  There are tons of little towns around it that offer excitement for a short trip. 
The family still cannot believe we left.  The water or electricity occasionally just stops.  We are the foreigners.  I cannot just get in the car and visit the kids.  I really had to learn to stop working.

Thank you for sharing that.  So, are  you renting or buying, and if renting, what kind of rents average for about two bedrooms (if you know).  Thank you.

Average rent for a 2 bedroom apartment in a good part of Quito is about $350-$400 per month, unfurnished.  But you can pay $500 for a top notch 2 bed apartment, with parking, store room, etc. If furnished, the rent may be a little more.
In not so good parts of quito the rent wuld be about $250-$300 per month. In total slummy areas, the rent for a 2-bed can be as low as £100 per month
Hope this helps,
Russell Eaton
www.deliveredonline.com

There are wonderful places that are for rent for as little as 150.00 for a small three bedroom condo that has about 75 units in it and a security guard at the entrance.  There are also small tiendas for immediate shopping,(vegetables and coffee, milk, etc) and a lavandoria for getting your clothing washed.   There are two bedroom bungalows, with a little land for 300.00 to 400.00 unfurnished.  We think it is better to get an unfurnished apartment, buy a two burner stove for about 40.00 get a tank of gas.  You can pick up a microwave for about 50.00 used and use the college type brick blocks to make desks, and tables out of until you get what you want.  You will have to purchase a bed,, and these too can be shopped for.  The furnished apartments are expensive and you are paying for furniture that is not the best.

I live for 300.00 a month, in Mitad del Mundo, I have a two bedroom bungalow, with land that is landscaped, a pool and a studio.  It is not a"not so good part of town"  it is convenient, safe, and has a great little downtown that we walk into each day,, the buses are easy to get to go to Quito downtown for 45 cents.  Can't beat it.  We love it.

wemovedto.com
Denise Toepel
Denise not in Dever anymore

I enjoyed reading about your experience here in Ecuador, be patient your legal status will come. I was easier for me being American and retired. I'm in Guayaquil, but looking forward to move to Cuenca, the cost of living here is way cheaper than in good olde USA. Your perception of peeps here is 100% accurate I laughed while reading .Your in a pretty good area I'm still lost here can you believe it, been visiting since 1980, but my ex in laws took me every where. Wishing you luck here

Russel, wow.... I am struggling to find an apartment i really like at a reasonable price... I am offered apartments between $1000-$1600...and then there is noting to do in the residential area... cannot get around without a car...etc .. One can rent in San Francisco at this price... I have moved a month ago.. rented from Craigs List when i was in USA... well.. want to move:  Would u have suggestions please how i can find a nice 2-3 bedroom place , furnished at the prices u are mentioning?/ real estate agent?? ?

Appreciate it, Olga

Hi, I am the lady that likes Samborondon.  I live just outside of that part of Guayaquil, in a gated community by the Daule River. What a view!!! I pay $500 a month plus $110 condo fees. That is still a lot less, than what this place would cost in Canada, especially with a great view.   I am a little too far out in the suburb, but at my age, I do not need the hustle and bustle of a 4 million people city's downtown.  I have two swimming pools and 2 whirl pools on the well kept grounds, and there are 6 apartment buildings and many nice houses.  The landlady is a total gem, and has let me borrow an older gas stove and two beds [one for the guest room]. I went with her to find a beautiful new fridge for $500 and an apt. size washing machine for $300. She knows places. I just purchased some more furniture and now it looks like somebody actually lives here.  I am planning to visit Cuenca and if I like it there, I might consider living there eventually. But I like the tropical heat, the swimming every day and I would miss that.  I did not even bother with a/c for this apt., a fan was all I needed. I guess, I found my little corner of Paradise.

Best way to find out is to come and spend some time...

OGA1 wrote:

Russel, wow.... I am struggling to find an apartment i really like at a reasonable price... I am offered apartments between $1000-$1600...and then there is noting to do in the residential area... cannot get around without a car...etc .. One can rent in San Francisco at this price... I have moved a month ago.. rented from Craigs List when i was in USA... well.. want to move:  Would u have suggestions please how i can find a nice 2-3 bedroom place , furnished at the prices u are mentioning?/ real estate agent?? ?

Appreciate it, Olga

Hi,
I came back to my country in December. I am living in a nice 3 bedroom apartment in Valle de los Chillos near to Quito (@30 min. The place is very safe, peaceful, plenty of landscapes and very near to small towns to visit.
If you want to live in a place like this (@400 per month) you may send me a message I can help you for free.

kind regards,

My best advice to find an apartment in Quito is to just come and look around. There are plenty of apartments for rent. In Ecuadorian Spanish an apartment is referred to as a "Departamento". Real estate is "imuebles" or "bienes imuebles". Try this link to get an idea of availability:
inmuebles.mercadolibre.com.ec/casa-villa/alquiler/_Ciudad_Quito_PciaId_Pichincha--Quito-
All the best,
Russell Eaton
deliveredonline.com

Hmm.  Two sides of the postcard.  This is perfect advice for all who want to come.  Research the good and the bad. 

I love how fresh and delicious the food is here, along with how walkable the cities and towns are. 

I could definitely live without the driving and the traffic, along with the total and blatant disrespect of the rules of the road.  (I know the rules I have an Ecuador driver's license)

For more of my opinions of Ecuador (much more lengthy and information packed I hope) go to my blog themiddleoftheworldecuador.blogspot.com]www.themiddleoftheworldecuador.blogspot.com

Mike

Themiddleoftheworld wrote:

Hmm.  Two sides of the postcard.  This is perfect advice for all who want to come.  Research the good and the bad. 

I love how fresh and delicious the food is here, along with how walkable the cities and towns are. 

I could definitely live without the driving and the traffic, along with the total and blatant disrespect of the rules of the road.  (I know the rules I have an Ecuador driver's license)

For more of my opinions of Ecuador (much more lengthy and information packed I hope) go to my blog themiddleoftheworldecuador.blogspot.com]www.themiddleoftheworldecuador.blogspot.com

Mike

Wow. You know more people in Cuenca than I do, and you donŽt even live here.

P.S. Actually, I have met Bill and Buddy-

Nards,

Those writing about Cuenca are actually written by Glen Birbeck who lives in Cuenca and writes the "Sketches of Cuenca" column on my blogsite.  I love his work and I am blessed to host his column on MOTW blog!

I hope you are doing well.  Soon I will be there in Cuenca.  Already have a place to stay! 

www.themiddleoftheworldecuador.blogspot.com

Nards,

Those writing about Cuenca are actually written by Glen Birbeck who lives in Cuenca and writes the "Sketches of Cuenca" column on my blogsite.  I love his work and I am blessed to host his column on MOTW blog!

I hope you are doing well.  Soon I will be there in Cuenca.  Already have a place to stay! 

I finally made it down to the post on who is Glen Birbeck. I like what your doing with the blog. Nice touch having the online chat feature as well. Glad to hear you will be expanding your empire down to Cuenca.  If you got extra free time when here, send me an email and we can organize a pow wow at a local drinking hole attended by Expat.com groupies.

Nards Barley wrote:

Nards,

I finally made it down to the post on who is Glen Birbeck. I like what your doing with the blog. Nice touch having the online chat feature as well. Glad to hear you will be expanding your empire down to Cuenca.  If you got extra free time when here, send me an email and we can organize a pow wow at a local drinking hole attended by Expat.com groupies.

Nards,

Expat.com groupies!  Fotos, please.

cccmedia, chairman, Quito Chapter, Nards Barley for Presidente 2017