Rio De Janeiro Relocation

Hey All,

I will relocating to Rio De Janeiro in July 2014 on a 2.5 year contract and wanted to gain insight into the following topics:

Accommodation:
Best location to live for expats?
Monthly cost of fully furnished apartment in the South region?

Transportation:
What is the best method of transport and what do you recommend?
Personal vehicle or local transportation?

Utility Expenses:
Cost of monthly expenses for 1 person per month? (Electricity, water, gas, cable TV + internet, maid service)

Tax Rates on personal income?

Thanks

Hello Richard,

Most of these issues you've raised have been asked and answered many time if you will only look for the related postings. Just type "Rio accommodations", "Rio rent", etc., into the search box at the top of the Brazil Forum page and you'll get a listing of all of the relevant topic postings.

For Cost of Living figures I would recommend www.numbeo.com type in the name of any city and country in the world and you'll get reasonably accurate COL figures for all of them.

With regard to driving, you can legally drive with your valid Georgia State DL if you obtain an Inter-Americas Driver's Permit (IADP) from your local AAA. This will allow you to drive in Brazil for 180 days only. If for example you leave Brazil during that time the clock starts running again. However, if you remain longer than 180 days (based on passport entry/exit stamps) then you are required by law to obtain a Brazilian Driver's License (Carteira Nacional de Habilitação - CNH)

Please also read the posting at the top of the first page of the Brazil Forum, "High Cost of Living in SP - how to economize", while it was written with São Paulo in mind, it really applies to any major city in Brazil.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Relocating in July... Fully furnished apartments...

You do realize that July is the month for the World Cup do you?

I've seen fully furnished apartments advertised for 50k U$ and up!. Due to the World Cup, brazilians have dollar signs in their eyes. You might want to wait a month.

As for apartment prices in normal periods, it depends on size and location. But be prepared to spend some 2.5K U$ at least for living expenses, and that would be for non furnished apartments in Zona Sul.

Be also prepared to spend quite some time in finding furnished apartments that rent for 2.5 years.

As for transport, depends on where you work. Cariocas love to spent hours I their car to get to work, and fork over huge amounts of money for parking.

I'd look for a place near a subway station, if you work in Centro.

Zona Sul means beaches to me.

Leblon would be my choice if I wanted an apartment and a great neighborhood.  You can pick up the Metro Onibus in Leblon which gives you a through ticket on the subway from the station in Ipanema to Centro.  A station is being constructed in Leblon and is targeted for opening before the Olympics.  There are many bus connections to Centro but most are not Ar Condicionado and you feel like a sardine in them. Plus, many of the bus drivers are in training for Formula 1 or at least they think so!!  Taxi's are all over the place if the subway is not your thing.

It is a very friendly neighborhood. All manner of folks and lifestyles coexist there...single, families,kids, dogs, retirees,celebs etc. Restaurants, shopping and grocery stores are very short walks from most points. Rents are high in Zona Sul  and the World Cup is impacting the short term market for furnished apartments.  Mid July they will all be gone and there will be some competition to fill vacancies.   Maids are not a problem but I'd get references form prior's.   

Ipanema and Copacabana are next on the list and both larger and busier.  All of them are only blocks from the beach.