Close

Starting your own business in Cape Verde

I have responded to your email message.
Regards,
Henry

HELLO MR CV ANGELO.     MY NAME IS MR OBAGO I AM  FROM NIGERIA I WANT TO COME FOR A BUSINESS SURVEY IN CAPE VERDE THIS MONTH END    BUT THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS THAT I HEAR THAT THE IMMIGRATION OFFICERS   DONT LIKE BLACK COMING TO CAPE VERDE AND THEY SAY IF U ARE NOT CAREFULL THEY WILL DEPORT U BACK  TO YOUR COUNTRY   I NEED BOTH OF US TO DISSCUSS ABTY MY COMING TO CAPE VERDE SO I  WILL NOT MAKE ANY  MISTAKE  .*

Moderated by kenjee last year
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share personal contact infos on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.
OBAGO :

HELLO MR CV ANGELO.     MY NAME IS MR OBAGO I AM  FROM NIGERIA I WANT TO COME FOR A BUSINESS SURVEY IN CAPE VERDE THIS MONTH END    BUT THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS THAT I HEAR THAT THE IMMIGRATION OFFICERS   DONT LIKE BLACK COMING TO CAPE VERDE AND THEY SAY IF U ARE NOT CAREFULL THEY WILL DEPORT U BACK  TO YOUR COUNTRY   I NEED BOTH OF US TO DISSCUSS ABTY MY COMING TO CAPE VERDE SO I  WILL NOT MAKE ANY  MISTAKE  .PLS   EMAIL ME OR FACEBOOK ME        AT     WWW.OBIEZEPRINCE[at]YAHOO.COM    .... 08102940341 FACEBOOK

Hi Obago,

The only advice I could give you is that under immigration laws, you may come as a visitor on holiday or to investigate business opportunities without a problem. You will need to produce the following documents and information:

1.A return plane ticket
2. The name of the hotel at which you will be staying including your reservations
3. Demonstration that you have sufficient funds available to pay for your stay including room and board for your entire stay

It's that simple.

If you plan to come for a longer period, for example to start an operate a business, you can extend your stay if you then provide the business registration documents plus your various contracts for rental of business location, etc. You can get all of that in order, while you are here on vacation.

-what are the document one will need to start a business in cape verde if you are not from cape verde becos 'm considering moving to the country by next yr ? .
-and what are the likely business that  one can invest on for start ?.
-pls can i get your email address or any contact sir ?

BeNaZ101 :

-what are the document one will need to start a business in cape verde if you are not from cape verde becos 'm considering moving to the country by next yr ? .
-and what are the likely business that  one can invest on for start ?.
-pls can i get your email address or any contact sir ?

First, you must be able to legally enter Cape Verde. That is a whole other issue. You can read all of the extensive postings on the forum about how that works and what documents you will need to legally be admitted to enter the country.

However, you don't need any documents to start a business in CV other than your identification (such as a passport). You simply have to register the business at the business registration offices which is called Casa de Cidadão. The application is entirely in Portuguese. If you don't speak the language or unless you have someone who speaks the language to execute on the ground, I would strongly advise that you NOT start a business here as it will be extremely difficult for you.

Cabo Verde is an extremely small market and the consumers are very poor. If you are thinking of a business to serve the local population, then think about what poor people need most: food and clothing. In addition, mobile technology can be lucrative. But you can imagine that it is extremely competitive in those sectors, and you should not hope to make large amounts of money as the market simply is too small by definition to generate such profits.

Business owners here simply make a living. It is the alternative to trying to find a job because the economy is too small to generate sufficient jobs. If you want to be rich, look elsewhere towards markets that have millions of consumers. Cape Verde is not the place to invest unless you are planning to serve foreigners (like tourists) or foreign markets using Cape Verde as a base of operations.

Bom dia
Returning to CV Feb/March 17 for searching where/what/how to set up a small business during every winter season from 2017/18 Oct to April.
I would like to get in touch with locals/residents before this journey in order to get information on different issues. I already have contacts on Maio island but I'm probably more interested in a small project on Santiago island, e.x. Ribeira Grande/Praia region.
The project is not yet 100%  defined because it always depends on the local possibilities & oportunities but I already have some ideas but I am open to adjust. Since I have most experience in hotel/catering and tourism business it most probably goes into that direction. My 3 "has to be":
1. Earing money to at least partially pay my life on CV during my stay
2. Cooperation with local people so they can also earn something
3. Helping/setting up a small local charity project (perhaps in combination with the plastic/rubish problems)
I am looking forward to getting some reaction/reply. Thank you and regards, Ro

It sound like good idea to work start a business in hotel/catering but as you must read do noy expect to earn a lot of money from it. I believe you can make a decent living.  I was in CV 3 weeks ago and I want start business there but I will take my timword to analyse the condition as Cape Verdean personally I can see your point you live a good life there, the Chinese, Portuguese, and Italian, etc ;are doing business so why can't we do it as well.
Let me know how it's going . .I am from Santiago

You should really do your homework before investing here in CV. Do not trust the feedback from locals. Most are poor and not particularly knowlegeable about such things. they will tell you what you wish to hear. And those who are more informed will also tell you what you wish to hear because they will see it as an opportunity to extract funds from you.

You must be extremely careful. Only trust the hard economic data. It is there on the website of the INE (Institute of National Statistics). But it is in Portuguese (though it can be translated).

The market for products and services provided to locals is extremely small in terms of revenues that can be generated. The reason is that the total population is only 500,000 who are predominantly poor and they are divided among 9 islands, with Santiago holding 50% of the country's population.

It sounds like you may be interested in the eco-tourism area. Tourism is a long established sector but eco-tourism is a new sub-sector. The supporting infra-structure is extremely lacking. And only about 10% of the tourists who come to CV are to be found in Santiago. Most of the eco-tourism is found on the island of Santo Antao.

My whole point here is to go in with your eyes wide open, trust only the hard data, and be realistic about how much business you can generate. In many cases, many investors have learned the reality only after unsustainable losses. Only a fraction of the italian, french and portuguese business people who invested here are successful. Those who have been successful have found a small niche serving either locals or tourists, and even so it is not easy for anyone. But your expectations appear to have been set at realistic levels (you are looking for a business to finance only part of your costs of living here).

Regards and good luck,

Angelo

Dear Angelo
Thank you very much for your interesting reply.
Like everywhere in the world, one has to be very careful meeting or even listening to people. I do hope I will find a trustworthy person who can help me to deal with the local authorities and those who want to sell to me or do business with me. I am not naive to think that they all want to only make me pleasure but most of them want to get the most out of me....
I'm not a rich man with only modest savings so I cannot look for a huge investment in CV. But I have long experiences in the hotel and catering business so I want to find a small businss according to the local situation. I am flexible (one has to be) to adopt to the local and above all affordable opportunities. The range is streching from a small icecream kiosk to a tapas (small dishes) lounge to a small bed&breakfast etc.
For the moment I have contacts and a project (nothing decided yet) on the island of Maio but I am very keen on finding an opportunity in Ribeira Grande de Santiago which I find a very nice place with a lot of potential in future. Having spent only 3 days in November, I want to have a better look at this "World heritage" on my next visit in Feb/March 17.
Hoping to keep in touch with you I remain
Faithfully, RoM

Hi RoM,

It's good to see that you would be very careful. And as you recognized, 3 days are not nearly enough to really get even an initial grasp of the validity of any business concept here.

You keep referring to the World Heritage site at Ribeira Grande. You should refer to it as Cidade Velha which is the name by which all the local residents call it. It definitely has potential for a small business catering to the tourists and some locals.

So definitely keep in touch. I would be happy to direct you to the appropriate resources and local authorities upon your return. But again, as I noted in my last message, do not trust ANYONE here unless you know them extremely well and/or they are recommended to you by someone trustworthy.

Angelo

Dear Angelo,

In your post you have mentioned about "labor laws of Cape Verde", can you please provide me the link of documents/pdf files about the labor laws of Cape Verde which I can download and try to understand it.

Regards,
Salaam Namaste

Please Angelo, can you hint me some of these mistakes?thanks

There isn't any need for links or reading through dozens of pages of laws. Suffice it to say that the law gives substantial preference to employees. Once you hire them, it is extremely difficult to fire them except at high cost. If you get taken to court by an employee, the courts almost never rule in favor of the employer. Thus employees effectively have a job for life.

Employers are required to provide employees with an employment contract. In other words, employment is not "at will". Employers can indeed initially hire the prospective employee for a probationary period of up to 6 months, and they can repeat that probationary (or temporary) contract for another period of up to 6 months. the worker can be dismissed if they do not survive the probationary term. However, upon the second renewal of the temporary contract, the worker must be provided a contract that renews automatically at least annually (and if no contract is provided, the employer is assumed to have given a PERMANENT employment contract for life, which is no different than an AUTOMATICALLY renewing annual contract). Technically, thereafter probation, a worker can be dismissed only for cause, but they must be essentially given another chance to correct their errant performance. As you can imagine, it could take months or years to document poor performance. And even so, the courts almost never agree with the cause. And hence my contention that workers are effectively employed for life.

No worker here ever leaves a job voluntarily...for example, workers here do not aspire to grow. So they do not search out new opportunities in the hopes of learning new skills and gaining broader experiences. They simply try to get a job collecting a monthly salary and then stay in that one job for life if possible...because you cannot get rid of them. Or you will end up paying 2 weeks of salary for every year they are employed. Imagine getting "stuck" with a bunch of workers who cannot be fired except at substantial cost...so there is no incentive to increase performance or even to perform as expected/required for the job and this bogs down the business of the employer.

That is the labor issue! It is no wonder that many of businesses of major foreign investors import foreign workers to fill the most important and most highly paid positions in the company. You could not afford to do otherwise as the owner of a major business. In other words, these onerous labor laws only hurt Cape Verdeans!

Angelo

salaamnamaste :

Dear Angelo,

In your post you have mentioned about "labor laws of Cape Verde", can you please provide me the link of documents/pdf files about the labor laws of Cape Verde which I can download and try to understand it.

Regards,
Salaam Namaste

Dear Angelo,

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Expatriate health insurance in Cape Verde

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Cape Verde

Moving to Cape Verde

Find tips from professionals about moving to Cape Verde

Travel insurance in Cape Verde

Enjoy stress-free travel to Cape Verde

Flights to Cape Verde

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Cape Verde

2 million members!

Watch later