Opportunity with Big 4 in Jakarta

Hi Every one

I am currently considering an opportunity with Big 4 in Jakarta and need your help in getting an idea about pay package. I currently stay in Mumbai (India). Please correct / throw light on below numbers worked out my me.

Apartment in Jakarta rent USD 2500
School fees: International School USD 2500
Groceries USD 249
Maid USD  174
Mobile Phones USD 30 
Internet and Cable TV: USD 32
Electricity: USD 86
Water (Tap): USD 12
Water (Bottled):USD 8
Transportation    USD 41
Savings per month    USD 1,608

Total monthly Salary after tax    USD  7,240

Thank you very much
Diwaker

I am interested
e mail id is.
[email protected]

Hi Diwaker,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

In order to give more light to your questions, please note that i created a new topic with your post on the Jakarta forum. It will help you to obtain more specific answers from the members. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team

$100 = over Rp1,000,000 at time of post (Closer to 1.2 juta but the maths is easier at 1)

Apartment in Jakarta rent USD 2500 - per month? If so, that's costly but not uncommon.
School fees: International School USD 2500 - I can comment on Binus in BSD. That's about $300/month but you have to pay an entry fee when you register at the place. I think that's about 33 million.
Groceries USD 249 - sort of depends what you buy. I spend between 2 and 3 million per month on a family of three
Maid USD  174 - full time, live in, English speaking - sounds about right. Make sure you copy her ID card.
Mobile Phones USD 30  My Telkomsel internet package costs Rp60,000/month and I spend about 40,000 on calls/SMS.
Internet and Cable TV: USD 32 First media, 6 mbps internet package + cable TV costs me 370,000/month
Electricity: USD 86 - Mine costs around 253,000/month
Water (Tap): USD 12  mine costs around 128,000/month
Water (Bottled):USD 8 _ about right
Transportation    USD 41 - Way too wild to work out. Trains, taxis, buy a car, what?
Savings per month    USD 1,608

Total monthly Salary after tax    USD  7,240  That's about 85 million. If you're getting that, you can live like a king.

since you work for big 4 so you must live in down town and 2500 usd for flat is about right.  Since you are indian you might need to spend more on groceries... i dunno about school fees as i am too young to have kids heheh omg 2500 is a lot. your mobile phone might be 50 usd depend if u in sales role or not ! but big 4 often accountant so 30 will just ok, thats how much i spend and i am single so no kids or partner to call. Internet and tv cable will be 50-60 usd.  Electricity u may need 100 usd, I spend 75 usd and its only me and a flatmate. U may need increase ur budget on transportation, i spend 150 usd on taxi just to go work and back nothing else and i live down town.

Btw u can cut down your flat budget to 1500 if u dont mind living in old building but still nice and down town! and omg why school so expensive zzzt

Diwaker,

I am in a similar position (Big 4- strategy consulting senior manager) working out of London with a chance to head out to Jakarta and help set up a strategy practice. 

I came out with very similar numbers on costs- the school fees are a killer particularly with 2 kids- hoping that after a year the school may provide a bit more support as I think the fees are inflated by many expats getting their fees as part of a package. In terms of rental, 2500 gets you something pretty nice in Kemang.  I am banking on being able to negotiate down to 2000. I know recent trends are going the other way but seems unsustainable to me.

I also put in a bit of travel- both within Indonesia and family trip back to London once per year. That pretty much wiped out savings/pension (or atleast they become bonus dependent)

Other thing to bear in mind is the upfront cost-  schools and rental is paid 1 year in advance (or you pay a premium to pay in instalments).  So I am keen to lock in some form of upfront payment to protect my current savings. 

also in case you don't know the rules, I was delighted to find that legally (sic?)  you are paid 13 months salary- so I would suggest you focus on negotiating the monthly rate, lock in the bonus and then hope for the extra months windfall! I am hoping it gets paid around Ramadan (June this year) but not got that clear yet...

As a matter of interest my offer is similar- (did you assume 25% tax rate?)- and there's not a huge relocation package.  Negotiations ongoing- but if you want a bit more benchmarking on the package offered let me know. Could be useful on a quid pro quo basis

Regards

Matt