Employment opportunities

My Husband & I live in USA Midwest.  We are 57 & 58 years old and "semi- retired" due to arthritis ailments.  We are thinking about a warmer climate for a minimum of 3 to 4 months out of the year. I love the ocean, we enjoy snorkeling, and my husband loves history. I thought Belize may be a location that would suit our wants and needs.  We need to work to earn enough to pay for cost of living plus being able to fly home to see Grandchildren .  My husband earned his living as a diesel truck mechanic, welder, and now a Diesel truck driver and carries a CDL license.   I have worked with financials in an office; processing accounts payables, accounts receivables, budgeting, Profit/Loss statements, Balance sheets, completing tax forms, and submitting tax payments.  I was asked by a financial institution to work for them, which I loved until new management took over and did not want "local" residents to work for them.  I  now currently work as an office assistant auditing forms financed by government grants. I mainly work for the health insurance benefits for my husband and I with a small income check to take home.  I expect my employment will come to an end in the near future with the government sequester cuts.  We are inquiring about  employment opportunities we may qualify for.  Possibly our hobbies we enjoy may be a source of income.  My husband enjoys smoking meat. He is a master judge in the Kansas City Barbeque Society.  I love to sew, research travel arrangements, sing with children, however I recently have experienced leg pain preventing me to be very mobile.  My husband and I are active in our local church- United Church of Christ denomination.  If you are aware of any employment opportunities you feel we would qualify for and be interested in, please let us know.

Hi ADreamer,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Please note that a new discussion was created as from your post on the Belize forum for better visibility and interaction.

Concerning your job search, I suggest you to browse through the list of jobs in Belize please.

Thank you and best of luck,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

Others can comment on this, but I doubt you can come to Belize and work for someone. Unemployment here is high. You can come and start your own business and sell your products / services though. I would suggest think of things that other expats would pay for though. Generally the locals don't have much money, so you will want to sell to Expats, or tourists.

Hi there,

You and your husband are a treasure.  :/
I would hire you on the spot.

I already see him doing fantastic barbeques on weekends (not to say he can start the Belize Barbeque Society right away), and you doing all you did for past employers but this time for yourself as a respected self-employed professional.  :top:

I wish the two of you to be blessed with your dreams coming true.  (I already take the good smell of smoked meat ...)  :lol:

Being qualified as a Diesel mechanic will make you a person whose talent is very much in demand in Belize. Like in many developing countries Diesel vehicles are popular in Belize. There are many heavy equipments in need of a Diesel Mechanics. Having said that, like in any country there are rules to follow.  You may be able to offer your service  free to Ministry of works (may be few hrs a week) in turn they may allow you to work for money. Just an idea .
Remember your income won,t come close to what you may earn in US, living expenses also will be less.
If both of you need frequent medical care ,that may be something to think about before considering a move.

[Moderated: pls post your resume in thejobs section]

My husband is a licenced forklift mechanic and is a heavy equipment mechanic. any ideas for work in belize?