Ronnie Biggs dead at 84, Brazil should declare a national holiday

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPFEmVJ4fTePcDb8JwE4eNcHxjeok54RaR8LzhOnOYQ6qp50drThe man who many call the "Robber of the Century", Ronnie Biggs died today in London at the age of 84.

For those who aren't familiar with the story, Biggs was the mastermind behind "The Great Train Robbery" and was one of the most wanted individuals in modern history.

Following the daring 1963 heist, Ronnie escaped to Brazil where, of course, he was welcomed with open arms and lived a life of comfort for some 36 years. He became a celebrity here, which is typical of this country that idolizes bandits.  Biggs returned voluntarily to England in 2001 for medical treatment, was promptly arrested and because of his medical condition released shortly thereafter.

Brazil has a spectacular history as a "safe haven" for all kinds of monsters, terrorists, bandits and corrupt politicians. The Nazi Dr. Josef Mengele, commonly known as "The Angel of Death" escaped Germany at the end of WWII and lived comfortably in Brazil until his death on Feb. 7, 1979.

As if Brazil's corrupt politicians aren't enough they welcome others with open arms. Michael Misick, the corrupt ex-leader of the Turks and Caicos wanted by British authorites also found safe haven here.

Convicted Italian terrorist and mass murderer Cesare Battisti, entered Brazil using forged documents and a false name. He was received with open arms by then president Lula da Silva, granted assylum, on Lula's final day in office and has lived here in comfort ever since. Brazil refuses to grant extradition back to Italy despite the overwhelming desire of the Brazilian people that this take place.

Yet, try to come to this country legally and obtain Permanent Resident Status through proper channels..... it's easier to find an honest used-car dealer in this country!!! Go figure.

I got to say, you picked a great photo of him.

Brazil, is just bizarre. I could use many other words to describe it but I would be violating forum rules.

It always baffled me why there were a lot of Germans living here in Brazil. Then I watched the History Channel and learned one probable cause. How a country can justify giving asylum to people that committed war crimes, terrorists, rapists, etc. is beyond me. Not paying your taxes, I can somewhat understand.

Perhaps I should go committ an international crime and then return to Brazil and seek asylum. I wouldn't have to wait 2+ years for my permanent visa!

On the other hand I couldn't see myself confined here for the rest of my life. I mentally couldn't stay here for eternity without a vacation.

With actions like these no wonder Brazil is being spied on. The US probably wants to know what scum they are considering grating asylum to next.