Working in Tanzanian Companies

Dear All,
I have seen on this site  good number of people are asking about the companies here in Tanzania.

Hello all yes see all details keenly,becoz some companies here take you on ride,almost all the companies which are unlisted here on this site (people have enquired about)  are making people suffer badly.

Some Suggestions.
@ Never handover your passport to employer ,never never, forget about such an offer.

@Never come to tanzania on vistors visa , as some companies say it in begning later they say we will arrange ur real job visa.

@ Schools especially for indians are equal to nothing.

@[/i]with 3-4 members earning approx $1000  don't agree below a  saving salary  of @2000/month for Tanzania.

Thanks a ot subhash for this excellent guidelines.
I also have a qs. regarding money.

~!~ What will the best option for the salary either in Shillings or in dollors?

hi sudash, good info. This is NOT applicable only to Tanzania, this is allover AFRICA. Employers are taking expats (specily Indians) for ride. Can you post this all over African countries? This is will helpfull to many many expats.

Dear Gourav,
THE GOOD SALARY IS $2000 IN TANZANIA WITH OTHER FACILITIES,ACTUALLY ONE SHOULD ALWAYS ASK FOR TAX FREE SAVING SALARY TO EMPLOYER,THEN IT IS FINE ,OTHERWISE THEY MAKE YOU FOOL BY GIVING WRONG INFORMATION ABOUT THE EXPENDUTURE AND ONE SAVES NUTS AT THE END OF DAY.
WITH THE SAME YOU CANNOT ESCAPE AS THEY PERMIT YOU ONLY ONCE YOU GIVE THEM MONEY BACK.
tale care
all the best

Dear All

I am also suffer with the same complain

i handed over the passport as they demand and then spoil my life with paying no salary and ending up in a big mess and treat me bad but i am happy they give me my passport back so think 300 time before comeing to tanzania better you try in any other country

pap

subash wrote:

Dear All,
I have seen on this site  good number of people are asking about the companies here in Tanzania.

Hello all yes see all details keenly,becoz some companies here take you on ride,almost all the companies which are unlisted here on this site (people have enquired about)  are making people suffer badly.

Some Suggestions.
@ Never handover your passport to employer ,never never, forget about such an offer.

@Never come to tanzania on vistors visa , as some companies say it in begning later they say we will arrange ur real job visa.

@ Schools especially for indians are equal to nothing.

@[/i]with 3-4 members earning approx $1000  don't agree below a  saving salary  of @2000/month for Tanzania.

JignshP, r u talking about BMTL? Can you spell a name here so everyone can BE AWARE!

Hi Friends,

I am moving to Daar in July from India. It was great to see so many views from Indians. If you can help me on some of my intial questions. My office is in samora avenue.

1) Close by residential areas. Any areas with mostly indians - would be added advantage. Monthly rent approx in an apartment (good basic amenites) would cost how much

2) Is having a car must in Daar.

3) How are people generally. I understand that there are quite a bit of Indian forums (indian festivals are celebrated)

Rgds

Dear Jignesh....
Ia m also plannign to take offer from BMTL....pls advice ...as they r askign for Passport???

GIVE THEM COPY NOT ORIGINAL, NEVER HAND THE ORIGINAL ONE PLEASE. I AM TANZANIA, THERE IS NO SUCH THING OF HANDING PASSPORT TO YOUR EMPLOYER, AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE, BMTL BELONG TO INDIAN, THEY TAKE YOUR PASSPORT SO THAT YOU COULD NOT APPLY FOR ANOTHER JOB IF YOU HAPPEN TO FIND ONE, THEY WANNA KEEP YOU AS THEIR SLAVE, IT IS ILLEGAL TO HOLD ONES PASSPORT FOR NO REASON IN TANZANIA INFORM THE GOVERNMENT

Never handover ur passport to any employeer in what so ever case,if they are asking for it ,take it forgranted they want to make you slave.

I also agree, NEVER give your passport !

HI VERY INTERESTING TO HEAR ABOUT TANZANIA .. IM A MAURITIAN JUST CAME FROM TANZANIA AFTER 10 YEARS IN DAR ES SALAAM. WE HAVE OUR COMPANY IN DAR WE ARE ORACLE SOFTWARE DEVELOPER..

THAT IT TRUE COMPANIES THEY TAKE YOUR PASSPORT MOSTLY INDIQAN COMPANIES.. WE HAVE ACTUALLY 500,000 INDIAN EXPATRIATE IN DAR THEY KEEP CHANGING JOB FOR THAT REASON THEY PREFER TO KEEP THR PASSPORT...

REGARDS RISHI

I had bad experience in Libya. The company sent me a multiple entry visa valid for 3 months and told me it will be regularised as Job visa. But,after reaching there they didn't get it register with the police station which is a must. Even after 3 months they kept me there for another three months without extending the Visa.After reaching there I came to understand that the employer is an influential person on top ranking post.Finally, some how got out of their clutches and flew off. Another three people are still there on the same condition with the same employer.It is my sincere acvice not ot go on a visit visa for employment

I have worked as an Expat in several countries and right now I am in Tanzania.
In every part of the world, expats keep changing their jobs as many are not able to fit into the expat conditions. Even in Tanzania, that is the case. Most of the Expats who come from Asian countries look for the same infrastructure and facilities as in their own countries, but they forget that it is Africa. After some time they give lame excuses to the company and just try to leave the job.

1. Regarding Work Permit - A Tanzanian Company has to spend around $ 500 for getting a work permit. Initially the Tanzanian Companies were giving work permit to the Employees before coming to Tanzania but many of the employees do not turn up to join the job and ultimately the company has to lose the money which they had spent on the work permits. So many of the companies in Tanzania bring the candidates on Tourist or Business Visa and after they have joined the duties in Tanzania, they apply for the work permit. I don't think anything is wrong in this.

2. Regarding Holding the Passport - If an Expatriate comes to Tanzania and the company is spending money on his Tickets and Family Status and also in getting the work permit by spending money and then, after 2-3 months of working, if the Candidate leaves the company abruptly or does some fraud and runs away with the company money (or, any such unforeseen circumstances), who is going to be held responsible?

I don't think anything is wrong in holding the passport as a security.  The holding of passports is prevalent in most Middle East companies when you join them. In fact, it is done in many places when expats are offered jobs. May be if the candidate is ready to deposit any money as security then the companies may not hold his passport. But I don't think any candidate will be ready to do this.

There are more than 500,000 Indian Expatriates in Tanzania out of which 20% will be in Top Management and 40% will be in Senior Management. I am sure they too must have had a dilemma like this before coming to Tanzania but now they are working in the country and doing well.

This is your career just take suggestions from others but decision is yours.

I was not talking about any particular company, in my earlier post. It was a comment in general about what the companies also go through. :)
Besides, you haven't given a remedy for the two questions I had raised in my post - namely, how do the companies safeguard themselves against the actions of the employees? would the employee be willing to give a security deposit in lieu of the passport?
or, do u expect the company to bear their losses no matter what happens?!

I never said it was lawful in Tanzania to hold the employees' passport. All I said was, I think it is ok if some company wants to do that, in order to make sure their employees won't cheat them or leave them without any notice.

From the employee's point of view, it is normal to look at a potential employer with suspicion and feel distrust about the motives and conduct of the company. At the same time, you want the company to automatically believe in the integrity and honesty of a new employee they are going to recruit and so, want them not to put in place any safeguards for themselves too?!

The fact is, just as a company and its antecedents maybe unknown to you, you too are a total stranger to the company. In an ideal world, everyone (both employers and employees) would be honest, display integrity and uphold their part of the agreement sincerely. But, that is not the case in the real world and we all know that.

Besides, as cybermars pointed out,
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32797
in this age of internet, it is not that difficult to get the details about any company and find out more about them before joining. So, instead of simply looking at the whole issue of some company asking for your passport as a sure sign that they intend to hold you prisoner as soon as you join them, you can try to see alternative view points too, in order to arrive at a balanced and sane decision.

Anyway, if someone is really apprehensive about this point of handing over the passport, then, maybe they are better off looking at a job in their own country where they will have the freedom to do whatever they want, due to their status as a citizen.

(moderated: no free ads please)

mailtoabhi15 wrote:

Dear Jignesh....
Ia m also plannign to take offer from BMTL....pls advice ...as they r askign for Passport???

NEVER!!! they keep passports. They make u incharge of warehose and branch. any theft there by tanzanians is deducted from your account .two people have committed suicicde because of this

Sir ji..

It is find that
in a company at TANZANIA
provide 50% salary on record and
50% salary off the records;

they say that it is for the admn
and to save the expats

It is presumed that this adjusment
is only to save the tax at the company
Since they offer tax free salary.

But truly speaking the off the record
salary is taxable in India..

How do u advise on this.. ?
Pl. expedite your reply
to decide on the things.

Dear Al

Please favor and guide.  My employer hold my passport and after two months of time no salary is released by the employer. I am emplying on CITI (visit pass) as per tanzanian law no employment can be doneon CITI but i am compelled on working illegally but i cannot do anything. I have finally resigned from theservise but they told they will release on their will.

Please guide where i can file complain in tanzania and who can help me.

Regards.

Ismail Usman wrote:

Dear Al

Please favor and guide.  My employer hold my passport and after two months of time no salary is released by the employer. I am emplying on CITI (visit pass) as per tanzanian law no employment can be doneon CITI but i am compelled on working illegally but i cannot do anything. I have finally resigned from theservise but they told they will release on their will.

Regards.

B..., M.... ( moderated) Q.......( moderated) e... bank group .... and many more are such bad people they get pleasure in making you suffer. At least two expats of M... committed suicide because of harassment and cruelty on stock shortages. In quality Group they delay releasing you after resignation till you loose the next job. If one gets released before six month after resignation it is luck. five directors out of eight have resigned but are held.  one man i know was working for exim bank. he was not paid 8000 US dolors and was delayed for four and half months but gods blessings he could convince his next employers. all this is because these are scam people call themselves businessman. not true businessman

why dont you try Indian Embassy in Dar. may be they will be able to suggest you something atleast they can give you a gate pass to travel back to your home country.

or

other option is you can apply for a duplicate passport claimimng that the passport is lost or something since you were on a business visa so never mention that you wer working somewhere...just make a police complain and apply for a new passport

All the Best. and now you have learnt a lesson never give your passport to anyone. and when you are out of your country the first immediate help should be your embassy. they are used to solving these kind of issues. hope you have a photocopy of your passport.

hope you sort out your issue..

I beleive if an employee gets what he wants
1) Good Package as per the current market Value
2) good working condition / working hours
3) All facility being provided which an employer has promised prior to bringing the candidates here
4) give a clear picture of the cost of living in Tz
then I dont think any person will leave the job or keep jumping around from job to job...as for any human their first comitment is with themselves then with the family and then come the companies. No one intends to break any commitment given when they are planning to leave their home to earn a living ...all are directly or indirectly forced to do so.
If employees are jumping from one company to the other then I think somewhere or the other it is the company doing something wrong.
I beleive if the company fullfills the commitment given at the time of employment then there is no need to hold passport as i have mentioned...every human is looking for growth.

Holding pasport is not legal anywhere in the world even Middle East has declared it illegal to hold passports. As now it has come to limelights that how employers are abusing this law.

Please dont hand over passport what so ever reason as for the company the loss is of Money but for an employee its a mental trauma and cost his health and life.

Dont intend to get into arguments here but a genral suggestion.

Its very clear in Tanzania ...the one who has money in pocket ..law is used and abused by them... since the company and the owner is a citizen and has money they can do a lot and an expatriate get stranded and has to dance as per their tune. No human wants to be their slave. Just because company is gonna face some dollar in loss doesnot give right to hold any employee.

Tell me who ever is having a heated up argument to give or not to give their passport to the employer.

If your company fullfills the commitment and gives a clear picture of the working condition and cost of living will you break your commitment

in other words company who wants to hold the passport wants to break their own commitment given to an employee and they know that once they break their commitments employee is gonna leave them and work with someone else so they are making sure that employees commitment is not broken even though they break their.

NEVER GIVEyour PASSPORT to your employer no matter u r in TZ Middle East, or any part of the world.

All The Best who are looking to become an expatriate. Please take your decisions wisely

Ismail Usman wrote:

Dear Al

Regards.

Sorry Ismail, Just got to know you are from Pakistan any ways you can go to your Pakistani Embassy

Pakistani Embassy in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania

Embassy of the Islamic State of Pakistan in

P.O.Box 2925
City: Dar-es-Salaam

Phone: (+255-22) 2117630, 2116634

Fax: (+255-22) 2113205

http://embassy.goabroad.com/embassies-in/tanzania#

hope you sort out your issue soon.

easy solution, get a duplicate passport before traveling overseas

I am from india and want to do work in tanzania

I don't understand why would any one work as an expert for a salary of $2000 dollars any were in the world now days.You should never move to another country for that salary period not only tanzania you just will not save.

i have search for job in tanzania
to help me expert.................

Hello vishalthakor -> Could you please be more explicit? Are you looking for work? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

i have good knowlage in computer like graphic,hardware,networking so i have search for this type of company.

Hello vishalthakor -> You should post an advert in the Jobs in Tanzania section. It might help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

job carriear r good to work in tanzania and you know good carriear company in tanzania

i am a Senior Translator of the following Languages...
please
guys,let us connect .
i am at your service for
TRANSLATION: english,french,spanish,swahili,italia,indonesian...and others

Aurélie wrote:

Hello You should post an advert in the Jobs in Tanzania section. It might help. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thanks!!

Please inquire again about BMTL.....

Please think twice on BMTL....

Hello amirighalbi -> Could you please be more explicit?

Thank you,
Aurélie