Extra-curricular activities

VungTauDon wrote:
ChrisFox wrote:

But in VN you learn a lot more in high school.  American high schools don't teach calculus or physics at all, and very little biology.  In fact thanks to religious conservatives, biology is watered down to nothing.

That would be news to my son. He is in the 9th grade and taking pre-calc this year and will be taking both physics and calc next year.
Granted he is in an accelerated program, but these courses are normal 11th and 12th grade courses in his school district.

ChrisFox is partly right.  American high schools DO teach Calculus, Physics and Biology but those are optional or for college-bound students.  Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, Biology aren't required for a HS Diploma; they have other watered-down classes instead (like "consumer math"). 

Some High School districts offer college credits for Calculus, Physics, Chemistry...called AP classes (Advanced Placement).  You do have to pass an exam to earn the college credits.

ChrisFox is right in that "in VN you learn a lot more in high school."  Year after year, the "Asians" test well above the "Americans" in HS tests subjects.

However, Asians don't have cool extra-curricular activities in high school...like FOOTBALL! 

You actually learn alot playing football.  Teamwork, leadership, problem solving, conflict resolution, anger management, coping with stress.  These "non-tangible" things that are taught in high school do help the nation in the long run. 

But we still can't balance our government budget so....maybe we do need to focus more on Math. :blink:

Tran Hung Dao wrote:

However, Asians don't have cool extra-curricular activities in high school...like FOOTBALL!

I'm pretty sure Asians have football as extra-curricular activities.

khanh44 wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Agree. I'm not sure why and how THD can jump to such conclusion. Many Asian countries that I've been to have many different activities in high school including soccer and it's also compulsory. Vietnam started abit slow, but they are getting there.

khanh44 wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Soccer yes, football no.  Football requires a huge high school budget to buy helmets, pads and gears not to mention a stadium.  American football isn't played in Asia.  If you know some place, let me know.

Anniest wrote:
khanh44 wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

Agree. I'm not sure why and how THD can jump to such conclusion. Many Asian countries that I've been to have many different activities in high school including soccer and it's also compulsory. Vietnam started abit slow, but they are getting there.

We're talking about American Football, not soccer.  What Asian nation has American Gridiron Football as a high-school extra-curricular activity?

Anniest wrote:
khanh44 wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:

I can jump to conclusions so I can wait for you to come up with a rebuttal.  What Asian nations have American gridiron football as a high school extra-curricular activity?  Hmmm....?  :P

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
Anniest wrote:
khanh44 wrote:

I can jump to conclusions so I can wait for you to come up with a rebuttal.  What Asian nations have American gridiron football as a high school extra-curricular activity?  Hmmm....?  :P

This is even more ridiculous if you think "Asian" should play "American football" for "Teamwork, leadership, problem solving, conflict resolution, anger management, coping with stress". As if we don't have anything better to do...

Anniest wrote:
Tran Hung Dao wrote:
Anniest wrote:

This is even more ridiculous if you think "Asian" should play "American football" for "Teamwork, leadership, problem solving, conflict resolution, anger management, coping with stress". As if we don't have anything better to do...

Nope, never anywhere did I say I think Asians should play American football.

Everywhere but North America refers soccer as football that actually requires more foot to ball than the grid iron version.

Anyways it was a lame joke to make light humour about the inter changeable football/soccer name that has obviously been killed.

khanh44 wrote:

Everywhere but North America refers soccer as football that actually requires more foot to ball than the grid iron version.

Anyways it was a lame joke to make light humour about the inter changeable football/soccer name that has obviously been killed.

It's alright.  Anyhoo, my point was that the Asian education system is very heavy on academics and it shows in test results compared to American counterparts.  However, what's not tested are the extra-curricular activities that American high schoolers participate in.  While Vietnamese high schoolers study chemistry, physics, and calculus after hours, American high schoolers are enjoying football, cheerleading, band just to name a few...and that's just the fall season.  I contend these sports/hobbies/non-academic aspects of our education system does wonders for the nation.  I was trying to address ChrisFox's comment about Vietnamese learning more in high school than Americans.

ChrisFox wrote:

But in VN you learn a lot more in high school.  American high schools don't teach calculus or physics at all, and very little biology.  In fact thanks to religious conservatives, biology is watered down to nothing.

I love the Americans' no-dress-code approach, strong emphasis on extra-curricular activities and curved grading system.  Together, I believe they promote creativity, humility, individuality, independence, determination, teamwork and leadership. 

At the same time, I also admire the Asians' emphasis on family and the community, particularly seniority.  I think this is great for patience, respect and teamwork.  However, if over-emphasized, as in the case with Vietnam, they can hinder all other developments, individually and institutionally.

As a result, we have all these hard-knocks running around, foul-mouthed and incompetent.  Then, they saw others doing well and want to institutionalize a meritocracy system overnight...  So, we have what we now have. 

Failure and humiliation will eventually lead to reform.  Just be patient.  Heck, you are already in Vietnam, you might as well learn something, while enjoying the unique sceneries.

That is how I see and take it.

Hi Tran Hung Dao,

A new discussion has been created with your posts on the Vietnam forum for more visibility.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team