Top hiring sectors in Ho Chi Minh City

Hi,

let's talk about job opportunities in Ho Chi Minh City.

What are the top hiring sectors?

And according to you, what are the most promising job sectors, which will keep creating jobs in Ho Chi Minh City?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,

Julien

I will be moving to HCMC in December 2013... I work in the hotel industry and from what I've read there seems to be a massive boom in the hospitality industry at the moment. Hotels such as The Pullman, The Reverie and Le Meridien to name but a few that are in the process of opening within the next 6 months...theres even a Ritz-Carlton property coming in 2015!

thanks for your info. It is really helpful for me :)

Julien wrote:

Hi,

let's talk about job opportunities in Ho Chi Minh City.

What are the top hiring sectors?

And according to you, what are the most promising job sectors, which will keep creating jobs in Ho Chi Minh City?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,

Julien

I gotta say the hottest job sector is definitely robbing foreign tourists blind.  The local gangs are also hiring for motorbike thieves.

I know it sounds like I'm kidding but the reality is that the economy in Việt Nam has slowed.  Many businesses have closed shop and all those young hoodlums from the countryside are now unemployed.  And when the unemployed need some quick cash, they will target whoever they think are the richest...and that means foreigners.  HCMC is even trying to set up a "tourism police" force to try and deal with the problem.

But to be fair, I think the IT sector, is promising.  But then the IT industry doesn't require a geographical location.  You can be on top of Mt. Everest and work with an IT firm as long as you can get an Internet connection.  So obviously many IT firms want to hire cheap labor and right now Việt Nam is looking cheaper than China.

There has been Tourist Police around for a long time, they wear a darkish green uniform , travel in pairs and carry a stick . Mostly prevalent around Bui Vien and Pham Ngu Lao Sts in Q1 and Ben Thanh Market . What would be a great bonus was if they could ALL speak english
If you think that robberies have increased now , just wait until the week before TET , its like open season on Tourists

Education. There is a big gap between what the system offers and what the market demands. It could be any subject matter. But language teaching has been consistently on high demand...