Medical Facilities in Nha Trang

Moving to Nha Trang in January. Any one have any information about the available Health Care in the City?  Thank you

Basic medical is quite ok here like in all cities. Basic = basic Vietnamese, without care by institution.
For many special things you have to "move" or get "moved" @ your own cost, possible to Saigon - the hospitals will organize that. There are apparently going twice or more often medical transports.

I would advise you and everyone to have a buck for emergencies handy or someone, who can pay them, as well as a list of medicamentation you require and medical history, possible translated into Vietnamese. Yes, some of the doctors here speak a little Vienglish, however, it's seldom good enough to communicate a cough.

In NT the simple rule works very well:

- Accident, unknown things the first time, diabetic issues, fevers = Military hospital (6 am-11pm, unless you know a doctor/officer inside)
Military Hospital uses 1 price level

- Anything else City hospital 24x7).
City Hospital uses price levels (foreigners up to x times more than locals)

Both hospitals are very central in opposite directions

- There are some private doctors is well, where you might go with cut in the finger, broken uncle. Infos to them and recommendation you gonna get from your friends. Expect any combination poor poor English, high prices, long waiting times ....

If you only have a flu, head ache or similar, you go to the Chemistry. There are plenty around, well stocked and many from 6am-11pm open. Routine medicine you need each time (insulin)..., place a standing order, if they not stock it. Keep old packets from home, so they can see in worse case what you need and organize-yes they get you anything or at least the generics for it.

Psycho doctors not really exist here, unless in closed facilities.

Cash before initial assessment and/or treatment

Congrats to drawn a good medical picture of Nha Trang! :D

l3ully wrote:

Basic medical is quite ok here like in all cities. Basic = basic Vietnamese, without care by institution.
For many special things you have to "move" or get "moved" @ your own cost, possible to Saigon - the hospitals will organize that. There are apparently going twice or more often medical transports.

I would advise you and everyone to have a buck for emergencies handy or someone, who can pay them, as well as a list of medicamentation you require and medical history, possible translated into Vietnamese. Yes, some of the doctors here speak a little Vienglish, however, it's seldom good enough to communicate a cough.

In NT the simple rule works very well:

- Accident, unknown things the first time, diabetic issues, fevers = Military hospital (6 am-11pm, unless you know a doctor/officer inside)
Military Hospital uses 1 price level

- Anything else City hospital 24x7).
City Hospital uses price levels (foreigners up to x times more than locals)

Both hospitals are very central in opposite directions

- There are some private doctors is well, where you might go with cut in the finger, broken uncle. Infos to them and recommendation you gonna get from your friends. Expect any combination poor poor English, high prices, long waiting times ....

If you only have a flu, head ache or similar, you go to the Chemistry. There are plenty around, well stocked and many from 6am-11pm open. Routine medicine you need each time (insulin)..., place a standing order, if they not stock it. Keep old packets from home, so they can see in worse case what you need and organize-yes they get you anything or at least the generics for it.

Psycho doctors not really exist here, unless in closed facilities.

Cash before initial assessment and/or treatment

Or you could try this one.....http://www.vkhospital.com.vn/

colinoscapee wrote:

Or you could try this one.....http://www.vkhospital.com.vn/

Good addition. Yes, I did hear some time ago from a Russian Guy about it but never seen it from inside or noticed it outside and not heard about after.  So it was not in my mind. Might be worth a try.

If you unfortunate enough to be taken ill during your stay in Nha Trang then you are best seeking medical attention at the Khanh Hoa General Hospital. This hospital employs English and French speaking staff and offers a high standard of medical treatment. All visitors are advised to have travel insurance with adequate provision for medical expenses else risk having to pay out for some fairly expensive hospital bills with hope of reimbursement. Khanh Hoa General Hospital: +84 58 822 168
If you need any information, you can contact with me by email [moderated]

Thank you for the specific reply. It is very helpful. Is there any chance you can recommend a health insurance carrier generally accepted a reliable serving Vietnam.  Have a good evening. Lloyd Bedik [email protected]

Lloyd112444 wrote:

Thank you for the specific reply. It is very helpful. Is there any chance you can recommend a health insurance carrier generally accepted a reliable serving Vietnam.  Have a good evening. Lloyd Bedik [email protected]

Health insurance is quite challenging. Is either pricey, poor cover, not for you ..... and or all together.
cover not longer than x day uninterrupted travel, requires residence ....,  excludes....

I have a one, very basic, high premiums, high self costs, and very low maximum with loads of exclusions. If they would have written, what actually is covered, than the certificate would be 90 pages less.

I pay about 17 million (VND) a year, basic accident (but not work related), no car, no bike, no dental. With about 20 million on self costs per incident and a maximum return of 60 million. No dental ... include and death, excluding the previous of 300 million. ** numbers might not be 100% correct, as my wife has/keeps the policy and it was done quite a while ago. However, that is what I can remember somehow.

To get that, you must be either working or own a business. No medical checkups.... .

Yes, I also have the Vietnamese basic one, which "grants" me costs of 100% like locals (where the Dr or the Hospital agree to). They still charge normal the 100% +, but not the military hospital (1 price level=all the same price. They not distinguish between locals and foreigners-yet-).

If you are in NT, you can pm me, if you need a similar poor insurance.

Chemists generally seem to have 1 price only, wherever and whoever.

ps: reliable Insurance? I am not sure. Not had a claim yet

List of clinics in nha trang: (reference)

Phuc loc  polyclinics      
12 tran quy cap str, Nha Trang      058.3821882
Tin duc polyclinics     38 tran quy cap str, Nha Trang      058.3824414 - 3813777
Vạn Thạnh pharmacy    78 Quang Trung str, Nha Trang     058.3819988
Thanh hai pharmacy     Dam market - Nha Trang     058.3823855
Quang trung pharmacy     149 ngo gia tu str - Nha Trang    058.3510402

Khanh hoa hospital: 19 Yersin str - Nha Trang city
Tel:  (84-58) 822168/ 822169/ 822175
Medical diagnosis center: 34/4 Nguyễn Thiện Thuật - Nha Trang
Nha trang health center: 13 Le Loi str - Nha Trang city
Tel:  (84-58) 822167/ 822267

if you want to know more information with best price, you can contact me for my email: [email protected]