Sorry been busy these few months studying. So where was I?
Ok, I was contacted by my elder sister who is now a PR in Perth, Australia and she is also thinking of migrating to Canada too. That's good news for me. As for my other friends, they are preparing themselves like education etc.
Anyway, throughout having some meet ups with fellow friends over the days, I was told about Toronto where this couple had migrated there for 3 years and they went back to Singapore for some reasons. One of the reason is that during winter, some roads were closed due to icy roads and husband can't fetch her due to road closure. The wife cried and forced the husband to go back to Singapore. That's sad to hear. I wonder why she didn't take the public transport back.
So, as Philip Yeo is staying in Halifax and Kaisin is in Calgary. Which one is the better in terms of work life balance? Take note, im not going to Toronto. While others in here, you are welcome to input your experience, where you stay and how do you go about doing it. If you are still in Singapore and making plans to migrate to Canada, please let me know. We can meet up for a chit chat.
Anyway, I had a discussion with those who are migrating to Canada and there are some questions which I can't answer. So please help me out all of you kind souls. Some issues can be sensitive but hope you can be patient with it. Don't take it to heart. Its for my knowledge and security sake.
1. Now, Canada is nearby America and issues of the Islam is going like crazy. Im not a fan of self destruction and I don't intend to blow myself up in the name of Allah nor have a feeling of hatred towards others as I have massive sins to cover up and yet to repent. Donald Trump made a point of not allowing Muslims to enter America. I understood his point but Singaporean Malays-Muslims-bombs = No no. So, my wife questioned me the other day regarding the security of the people in Canada. In Singapore it is illegal to own a gun which is a death penalty. I read that in Canada, it is ok to own a gun as a licensed owner but unable to use it unless something bad happens. Now, is there any such occasion(s) where a crackhead goes rampage and starts shooting people at random? Any chances those Muslim Americans would shift to Canada? And for those Muslim women who wears a hijab BUT NOT A NIQAB and BURKA? Any discrimination against them? There is a recent case here in Singapore where a Malay women's hijab was pulled away by an expat while on the MRT. The case is still under investigation but the news was not being posted out due to sensitive issue.
http://www.soundvision.com/article/bann … -in-canada
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s … itizenship
2. I hope to graduate end of next year and spend another 6 months to settle things before moving to Canada. Any Singaporean in here can advice me what should I do first, step by step so that I do not have to worry about Singapore once im in Canada?
3. I bought a bto flat and its been 3 years now. I do not wish to sell it but intend to rent it out. So, if im going to Canada, how about the monthly installments? Its impossible to clear the amount. Is there any ways to like put money inside cpf? Has anyone do this? Any advice?
4. Jobs (again) Any good website that I can look for jobs? Should I be sending out resumes now or after I graduate?
5. Philip, you are in the IT industry. Any idea about HR, Facilities Management or admin salary range? Assuming im earning $5k per month here in SG. Should I use a converter to convert $5000 to Canadian Dollar and from there I negotiate the salary range?
6. Should I go to Canada and apply for a job or when im in Singapore then apply for a job?
7. Me and wife wished to own a car there but nevertheless hope for a place to stay near the train stations in case car broke down or icy roads or lazy to drive. Any place(s) to recommend? We don't mind walking to the train station if its nearby.
8. Purchasing of car. I read this article and lots more. I can get a car, cash and carry or get it financed through a bank. I read somewhere that a bank is able to loan at max $40,000 and payback within 7 years plus interest. Where do I start? What should I do first?
9. In conjunction to question 7, licence. Do I have to go for another practical/theory test before able to drive or I just grab a car and drive? Its a left hand drive. Gosh. Shifting gears with my right hand.
10. Getting a house. Should I be looking at a house in Canada while im in Singapore or when im there then start to look for it? Where do I start?
11. Some of my female friends are probably, wish to set up a a small fashion business which caters to women only. Any restrictions to import items from Malaysia or Indonesia?
12. I have a friend here whose mom is working for the US Airforce. I have no idea why he is in Singapore but he told me that the basic amount to at least comply with Maslow's hierarchy of needs is $8000? What should be the safe amount of cash to bring there?
13. Banks. There are tonnes of banks in Canada. Which one is similar to POSB? And which one is good for investment?
I want to apologise for the questions imposed which is like scrambled eggs. I know that answers can be found on the internet but some are contradicting and some are literally outdated. I have tonnes of questions still stuck in my brain but lets settle the above questions before I move on to another wave of questions.
Thank you for answering my questions!