TESOL CERT

Hi all,

I just earned my TESOL degree in the U.S.  Now I wanted to ask what is the next step?

Can anybody guide me or give me suggestions on what school to contact?  Is it acceptable to apply online?  Interview online?

I'm currently living in the U.S. and plan on moving to HCMC, Vietnam.  I do not want to move unless I have a contract in hand with a school.

Please help :)

T.T

Google ILA and Apollo and Dave's ESL and Ajarn

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

Hi all,

I just earned my TESOL degree in the U.S.  Now I wanted to ask what is the next step?

Can anybody guide me or give me suggestions on what school to contact?  Is it acceptable to apply online?  Interview online?

I'm currently living in the U.S. and plan on moving to HCMC, Vietnam.  I do not want to move unless I have a contract in hand with a school.

Please help :)

T.T

Hi Tin Tin.....please help me understand.  Does TESOL allow you to teach English in VN? How much does the entire course cost? Did you do it online?  Are you a teacher by trade?  The reason I am asking is that I am planning to live in VN in the next few years.  However, having a purpose and earning income (no matter how small) is fulfilling work.
THANKS
Tien T.

Please note I'm no expert in this area, but I'm willing to give you my honest advice.

1)  The TESOL cert will allow you to teach English at many of the private and language schools in VN.

2)  The TESOL cert cost anywhere from $1000-$3000 USD.  You can take the course online OR at a local college OR even in VN.

3)  Having the TESOL cert is just one of many requirements.  You should have a bachelor degree as well.  Example:  I have my masters degree at an accredited university in the U.S. 

Wish you the best of luck :)

T.T

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

Please note I'm no expert in this area, but I'm willing to give you my honest advice.

1)  The TESOL cert will allow you to teach English at many of the private and language schools in VN.

2)  The TESOL cert cost anywhere from $1000-$3000 USD.  You can take the course online OR at a local college OR even in VN.

3)  Having the TESOL cert is just one of many requirements.  You should have a bachelor degree as well.  Example:  I have my masters degree at an accredited university in the U.S. 

Wish you the best of luck :)

T.T

Fantastic...does the cost varies (between VN and the US)? I mean does it cost $3000 in the US but only $1000 in VN? I guess it is cheaper with online course?? How long ? (about 2 yrs)? I got an Electrical Engineer degree back in 1990 and am working as a System Engineer for a major oil company. 

I see that you are currently in Miami, FL. I can't help but noticed that you moved here from VN recently?

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

I have my masters degree at an accredited university in the U.S.

Why do you want to teach English? What is your masters in?

Teaching English:
Need a BA or BS degree, could be anything....
TESOL needs to be 120 hours with a student teaching component (no oneline)
Health certificate
Police background check

Some places have age requirements, under 40, under 55
China is ok with an online TESOL
Southeast Asia there are always exceptions to their own rules

Cost of TESOL.  I found a deal on AJARN offered by ISLAND TESOL for their Koh Samui campus and only cost $799 usd. Most places around $1400 and they will find you a job.  With my 799 deal I had to find my own.  1 week is all it took to find a job.  Have more offers than I need.

Pay, 30 teaching hours per week at $17 usd per hour, some wotk less, others more.

jakejas - I currently have a MBA and my bachelor is in Business Info. Technology.  I always wanted to teach English.

thuy4tien - The courses vary in price depends on where you get your TESOL cert.  Online vs. Local college/school.  The course is about 120-150 hours.  It is quite easy if you have a strong English background.  I lived in the States for over 24+ years so I find the TESOL course quite easy.

I did TESOL online with ITTT
for 120 hour course and tutor support I paid less than $300 (at the moment its advertised at $349

If you have a Uni degree you will be able to apply at most schools.

I don't have a Uni dgree and out of 5 schools got knock back by only one ILA that required a Uni degree.

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

I just earned my TESOL degree

TESOL are doing degree courses now? Is the same as a PGC or something else?
How long does it take to achieve 3 or 4 years?

Citsym wrote:

I don't have a Uni dgree and out of 5 schools got knock back by only one ILA that required a Uni degree.

Did the others offer your full-time hours with work permit etc. or just part-time casual hours with or without a contract?

To: laidbackfreak

just part-time casual hours with a contract

I just met an expat in my apartment block who has just moved here from Saigon. He is a teacher by profession and just started teaching at the American Academy here in Vung Tau. He is getting full time work and plenty off it... work is available but it can depend on your qualifications.... That's my experience anyway!

Citsym wrote:

just part-time casual hours with a contract

Which means no work permit or TRC, so still need to do visa renewals\runs now n then.

Citsym wrote:

work is available but it can depend on your qualifications.... That's my experience anyway!

Agreed... at least from what I've seen.

I'm not a teacher, but just trying to let the new guys be aware of the difference's in getting work here, legally and otherwise.

And with the recent decree changes it could make things a little more interesting, but I think that's not so much of an issue for teachers yet.

Don't know if it still happens in Vietnam but be prepared for some barriers because of your Asian looking features.

Barriers such as lower wage compared to your peers at the same school that you teach to just outright refusing you even though you're more qualified than most that they've hired.

I haven't gone through this experience but I was interested in teaching English too. Seemed simple since I grew up in Canada since I was 1 years old and I speak English everyday how hard can it be to teach it. But than I researched about it and the discrimination turned me off.

But I've also heard of some success stories from non-native English speakers. We're considered non-native English speakers because of our Asian features even though I can barely speak and understand Vietnamese.

I wish you the best and let us know how your experience in finding an English teach position worked out.

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

jakejas - I currently have a MBA and my bachelor is in Business Info. Technology.  I always wanted to teach English.

thuy4tien - The courses vary in price depends on where you get your TESOL cert.  Online vs. Local college/school.  The course is about 120-150 hours.  It is quite easy if you have a strong English background.  I lived in the States for over 24+ years so I find the TESOL course quite easy.

I think I read somewhere there's a strong market for corporate English teachers.

Don't know what the pay would be like but I would think it be more than a school English teacher. And you seemed perfectly qualified for this position.

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

You may want to look on Vietnamworks.com. They had some jobs posted a while ago looking for foreign-educated business majors with Masters degrees to teach business classes in English at some university.

Laidback- I meant my Tesol certificate.   It's a 150 hours course.

khanh44 wrote:

Don't know if it still happens in Vietnam but be prepared for some barriers because of your Asian looking features.

Barriers such as lower wage compared to your peers at the same school that you teach to just outright refusing you even though you're more qualified than most that they've hired.

I haven't gone through this experience but I was interested in teaching English too. Seemed simple since I grew up in Canada since I was 1 years old and I speak English everyday how hard can it be to teach it. But than I researched about it and the discrimination turned me off.

But I've also heard of some success stories from non-native English speakers. We're considered non-native English speakers because of our Asian features even though I can barely speak and understand Vietnamese.

I wish you the best and let us know how your experience in finding an English teach position worked out.

Thank you khanh44 for pointing out the Elephant In The Room.  It isn't just only if you're Asian-looking but whether you have a "white-face" or not.  Discrimination happens here; you can easily read

charmavietnam's recent post for a quick testimony about it.

Language schools will advertise looking "for a native speaker" teacher, from the UK, US, Australia, and while you maybe from those countries and have no problem "speaking like a native", they really want a Caucasian/"white face" person.  It's for marketing purposes.  Parents and students want to see a Caucasian teaching because in their minds, the UK, US, and Australia only have white people.  If School A has 5 white faces and School B has 0, then school A must be good since they're able to recruit "Native Speaking Teachers".

Why do you think they request "photos" to be included in your CV/Resume?

What happens if someone with a white face and strong eastern-European accent applies? Do they care?

jakejas wrote:

What happens if someone with a white face and strong eastern-European accent applies? Do they care?

Not really.  There was an article I read about someone complaining that they had excellent credentials but were denied the job because they were from India (or someplace in South Asia) and the Language Center gave it to a Caucasian who didn't have anywhere close to the credential as the native speaker and really sucked at teaching.  I'll try to find it.

I did find an article in relations to teaching in China but it's very similar to how things run in Việt Nam.

These schools will hire English teachers with one, basic requirement: “a white face”.

http://diaspora.chinasmack.com/2011/fea … chers.html

“I'm not a real teacher, I'm an actress pretending to be something I'm not. These kids are so little, sometimes only three or four-years-old, so they're not learning English seriously,” says Sonia. “I used to find it weird that the parents are always telling me how I'm beautiful. Then I realised these lessons are just about giving them status. In China, if your kids go to school and they have a foreign teacher – a beautiful Irish teacher – everybody in the neighbourhood knows and you gain face. So it doesn't really matter what happens in class.“

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
jakejas wrote:

Not really.  There was an article I read about someone complaining that they had excellent credentials but were denied the job because they were from India (or someplace in South Asia) and the Language Center gave it to a Caucasian who didn't have anywhere close to the credential as the native speaker and really sucked at teaching.  I'll try to find it.

Still can't find that one but here's one that was in a Vietnamese newspaper.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/page … right.aspx

“I've had students complain about teachers when there was no real reason. It's no secret that discrimination is an issue in schools in Vietnam and it is something that needs to be addressed. Many parents and students prefer white teachers but we strive to employ qualified and experienced native-speakers, regardless of their ethnicity,” he says.

All,

I appreciate all the warnings and replies relating to the blatant hiring discrimination that's occurring in Vietnam.  I'm going to start a thread on that so feel free to comment on that thread. 

This thread purpose was for me to inquire where (what school) to apply to since I have earned my TESOL certificate?  Who to contact?  Any inside tips I should know about?  How to negotiate a reasonable starting salary?  What's a good starting salary?

I already received my VISA Exemption for up to 5 years from the Embassy of Vietnam (unlimited entry to Vietnam). 

Please feel free to chime in.  Thanks.

T.T

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

All,...

I already received my 5 years VISA from the Embassy of Vietnam (unlimited entry to Vietnam). 

Please feel free to chime in.  Thanks.

T.T

I don't think it's a 5-year VISA, but a VISA Exemption for up to 5 years.  Your profile said your were born in Việt Nam so it's likely you got the VISA Exemption due to your heritage.  The Vietnamese Government has been proactive in enticing Vietnamese Heritage people to come back to Việt Nam and contribute to it's development.

Anh Tran Hung Dao,

You are 100% correct.  It's a VISA exemption for up to 5 years.  I can come and go within that period as much as I want.

Best,

T.T

Hope this list of schools will help others:

http://www.eslbase.com/schools/vietnam

Good luck.

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

Anh Tran Hung Dao,

You are 100% correct.  It's a VISA exemption for up to 5 years.  I can come and go within that period as much as I want.

Best,

T.T

Each entry 90 days? Dont make the mistake I did a few years back and overstayed! Lol

CTH - What happened to you?

It is a quite serious matter actually.  You would think that they would want just want you out but they will not allow you to board the plane.  Depends on how long you've overstayed.  If it's up to a couple of weeks (maybe a month tops), then you can possibly get away with paying a fine/bribes at the airport.  But if you've stayed longer than that, they won't let you through and you will have to go into the city and apply for a special 7 day exemption to leave.  This costs a lot of money so avoid this if you can.

tintinmiami2013 wrote:

CTH - What happened to you?

They asked me to go around the corner and pay a fine, then come back to check in. I went to pay (5mil for me, 5mil for my 4yr old son). After agreeing to pay so I can make my flight, the dude tells me that they can't do it cos the guy who handles all the paper work was out. We went back out, on the way out the guy at the check-in gave me a card with his number telling me to call him after his shift, he will help. I told him to get F and stop trying to  make money of me.
Went out, caught a taxi back to my wife's aunts place. The next day, her uncle drove me around did the paper works, paid for new visa, paid fine of 1mil (they wanted 4).
Ended up staying for another month

^ ^

That's the problem with Vietnam. Some people are too individualistic to see the whole picture. Makes the whole tourism industry have a bad reputation with foreigners. I think Vietnam is striving to eliminate these bad practices but it takes time to shape a culture of thinking.

The corruption at government level is daunting, seems you can get anything you want if you want to pay enough.

Why should they scare to ask bribery? :D
"Freedom - Independence - Happiness"
I didn't hear about any 'anti-corruption' department here. Is there one? If there one that people also can get good 'collection'!

If there was an 'anti corruption' department, all the offenders would bribe their way out of trouble anyway!

Thats exactly the problem, why do we still have scam taxis at Ben Thanh market, they pay the police off. Its a joke, corruption goes all the way to the top.I hope it gets better, but it seems to be getting worse

Yeah, sure :D
I saw one in Cambodia with golden letters, looks new. When I walk on the way saw clearly some traffic police checking vehicles and 'take' some small money from motorists! When I stop a while to enjoy that scene they stared at me and shout:D

cth wrote:

If there was an 'anti corruption' department, all the offenders would bribe their way out of trouble anyway!

When people give happily, how can they refuse? That's impolite :D
Amazing thing is that the new generation is too much greedier than the old ones. I know so many good officers still using below 5 million Dong motorbikes!

colinoscapee wrote:

Thats exactly the problem, why do we still have scam taxis at Ben Thanh market, they pay the police off. Its a joke, corruption goes all the way to the top.I hope it gets better, but it seems to be getting worse

I know a copper who has a 3 billion Lexus four wheel drive and about 20 billion in property, not bad for someone who earned 8 million a month.

Yeah, agreed. Now their tendency to get bribery changed to a robbery level. I know one immigration police (lowest grade) helped to extend visas and TRC sometimes to my previous Korean boss. He get paid more than travel agents for that. Actually this is his 'side business'. One day when 3 of us sit in a restaurant that police man asked my boss to give him $20000 to build his new house without a shy :D
Who give free money?