License to Hire a Car (Just for Visit) and Car Seats

Hi,

Coming over next week for just a couple of days as part of an interview process. Three urgent questions:

1. Do I need an International Driving License to hire a car? I only have a valid US license. My IDL expired and since I am not in the US now I can't get a new one.

2. If I can hire a car myself, do rental companies offer car seats for small children?

3. If I can't hire a car myself, can anyone recommend a company or individual that is good and has a quality car seat that we can make arrangements with?

Thanks.

Hi

Not sure about US licence's but you can definitely hire a car with a UK one - am sure someone here knows the answer to that one.

In a country where no locals use car seats (or seatbelts!), you are extremely unlikely to find a hire/rental company that will give you child car seats or for that matter a taxi.  Not sure how many or what age your children are but can you bring your car seats as baggage?

We live in very large and crowded city with very developed public transportation. We buses and underground to get everywhere so we don't have a car or a car seat. But when we have to use a car here there are a couple of taxi services that provide car seats. Point is we don't have our own car seat to bring as baggage.

Our son is 3. Although he is a bit big for his age, he is still within the size of all US/UK guidelines for car seats. He could theoretically fit in some booster seats already, but really he should still be in a car seat.

Forgetting about the car seat for a moment (for a host of reasons my wife and son might not be able to travel with me) -
If wanting to explore for a day to get a general feel for Bahrain and see the various areas, what is the best way to do it? Hiring a car might not be an option from what I read. I understand that an IDL, UK permit, or any GCC license is required. Taxis don't seem logical since we don't have specific destinations to reach. It might be best to try to find a driver for the day.

Any recommendations?

If you like to go around and see the place, maybe good if you get hold of a private taxi driver. They will take you around to all the main sites and the charges may be reasonable too. They will know their way around and the best sites to visit. Certainly better than hiring your own car and drivng around. PM me if you wish to contact someone reliable.

You don't need an international driving license if your driving license is from the States, that's what I have been told.

Yes, I too checked up with a car rental company - they confirmed that you could hire a car with your US driving license. You do not need an international driving license if you possess a US driving license.

Hope this helps.