Moving to Phuket with young children

My husband , myself and our two young children are moving to Phuket in January 2014 can anyone advise which areas are the best to live with young children . I have been looking at real estate in rawai , cherng talay and ao yamoo

Hello Fionahegarty.

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Browsing the Phuket Forum might be helpful.

Thanks.

Karen :)

Hey there,
We too are looking to move from Australia to Phuket early 2014.  I believe Chalong and rawai are the best areas for us to be looking into.  How old are your children? We have two, currently 6 and 11. We have some great contacts in Phuket and would be happy to share info :)
Danielle

Dear Danielle ,

Thank you for your reply.  Our children are 2 1/2 and four years old.  We are leaving Australia mid January .  Any details that you can pass on would be great.

Thanks

Fiona

Do you know what school you will be sending your 4 year old to? Chalong is fairly close to several of the international and bilingual schools.

Hi I also have two young children and would love to know what schools other expats are sending there children too and where they are choosing to live. Last year we went to Phuket just too look at the schools and they were amazing but expensive. We think we may be able to afford the school Headstart and would like to know what suburbs around that school would be recommended for our family to live. We would prefer a house/villa with a fenced garden as we would be flying our pets over with us. We are looking at a long term rental. I would be very gratefull for any imfo as we are looking at coming over in February.

hi all

Please tell me why you want to leave australia for Thailand? just out of interest sake..everyone always immigrates TO australia..please tell me your reasons?  we live in south africa and also looking to immigrate..just looking for a job first...
thanks

Australia is a very expensive country to live in and getting more so each year.
It is in the world top ten list of the highest tax rates.I pay up to 42% tax. Last year I paid $70,000 tax, got a tax bill to pay a further $6000, and I am by no means a high earner.

Friends here in Oz who are in the high end bracket pay around $100,000 tax a year.

Hi we live in Perth Western Australia and have done all our lives. We went to Phuket last year for the first time we were not even thinking of relocating but we loved the lifestyle it could provide our family. We have a daughter who is 9 and a son who is 6 they go to a private school here in Perth but the classes are too large they have 30 children in each class we feel they are not getting the best education here, also Perth has had this mining boom so everything housing, gas and especially food has gone up so much.You could ask anyone here in Perth and they will tell you living cost here now is ridiculous.We looked at the schools in Phuket when we were there ( we went to Phuket 3 times in 6 months) and they were amazing but expensive. Our plan is to rent our home here and Lease a home over there for a year but if all goes ok we would stay for 3 or 4 years. Also children are very much respected there both our children loved the Thai people. We are at the moment getting our house prepared for renting and then I will fly over to look at homes. Loved to know what you think of our plans.

Hi me again, my advice dont move to Perth there are so many people here who came for a good job and the big bucks and it just does not happen that easy.

My husband has worked Offshore for 20 years and he cant wait to get out of Perth, he feels all the money he earns goes to the cost of living here and he is right. Twenty years ago we would of been considered as wealth off, not anymore.

Hi Danielle
We have a 6 year old and a 10 year old last year we took them to Phuket 3 times and they love the Thai people. We were not even thinking of moving there but we realized our family would have a much better lifestyle there. We live in Perth and the cost of living here is a killer we have lived here all our lives our plan is to rent our house here and lease a house there for a year and if we are happy there we will stay for many more years.
Where do you live and what are your reasons for moving there and what schools would you send your children too.
I would really appreciate any advice you can give because we have no contacts at all in Phuket.

Thanks
Jade