Melita: demanding deposit.

Just had a very lengthy argument with Melita rep who was insisting on a €200 deposit for services.
I lost, as I expected to but tried to make my point that what they demand is illegal.
However, deposit to be repaid is in writing.
I'll wait and see what happens when I get 'residency'.
Not holding my breath though as I only believe anything when it actually happens! :)

when we got our melita services 5 years ago Red...we paid 46euros deposit and got our id card within a week and within a week of supplying melita with the details the deposit was repaid in full.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

when we got our melita services 5 years ago Red...we paid 46euros deposit and got our id card within a week and within a week of supplying melita with the details the deposit was repaid in full.

That's inflation for you! :)

Prices seem to vary from person to person, maybe the written regulations could be followed a bit more rigidly across the board, might be fairer.

I think the regulations are very clear under EU law but of course, here they don't worry too much about such legalities.
I am paying for HDTV, recorder, HiSpeed internet and phone.
This is as expected by me so no surprises really.
I'll sort out other technology as I get on but at the moment we are still unpacking and sorting our possessions that arrived just 2 hours after we did! Hey ho! :)

We had to pay a €250 deposit in April this year - this covered internet, 2 mobile numbers and 2 new mobile phones. Doubt whether you will get your deposit back in cash. We were told by Melita yesterday they transfer it as a credit to set up a 'proper contract' for you when you present your EResidency card. The EResidency card must be accompanied by a copy of your flat/house rental contract or Malta bank account details to do this. Arguments didn't work, it just means you won't have to pay a monthly fee until the credit runs out :rolleyes:

in April we paid a 200€ deposit that cover telephone, internet and television (on demand), we were told once get e-residency take to shop and they would arrange to transfer deposit to our bank account :)will have to wait and see.

Again, it depends upon who you speak with. After several exchanges of emails the particular rep I am dealing with at Melita is being so difficult, I have told him to stick it and I will 'Go' elsewhere.
I have also reminded him that to charge a €200 deposit is illegal under EU law. Won't get me anywhere but makes me feel better :)
Anyway 'toodle pips' folks, I'm off for beer and bbq.

Re: Deposits for internet/telephony/Pay TV service provision. 

1)  In March, 2012, ‘...A spokesperson for the Malta Competition and Consumer Affairs Authority said the authority is aware of measures imposed on EU nationals living in Malta including the requirement to pay deposits for the provision of telephony and internet services………..'

The spokesperson said: "service providers impose deposit payments on foreign residents as a safeguard in case the foreign customers leave the island without paying for any pending bills.",,,,,,,,,,,'

Source: Maltatoday, Friday, 9th March, 2012: Consumer authority - foreigners not being discriminated against

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/en/newsdet … d-20120309

2)  However, following a complaint registered at EU institutional level, I received a formal reply on 19th December, 2012 from the European Commission.

It states: ‘With regard to deposits, the Maltese authorities have informed us that GO plc does not request deposits for its services, either from Maltese or EU nationals.'

So, if in the past - whether as a tenant or an owner-occupier - you paid GO plc (or formerly Maltacom / Telemalta Corporation) a deposit for telephony/internet/Pay TV service provision - claim your refund in full from them now.

On the other hand, Melita plc may - at present - require a deposit from non-Maltese EU / EEA / Swiss citizens who:

A) Do not have an ‘e-Residence Card' / new identity card.

B) Have an ‘e-Residence Card' / new identity card, but fail to meet Melita's credit conditions or fail to make due payments.

However, as regards Melita's requirement of an ‘e-Residence Card', please note that an ‘e-Residence Card' / New identity card may under no circumstances be made a precondition for the exercise of a right or the completion of an administrative formality, because entitlement to rights may be attested by any other means of proof.

See page 36: Article 25 - Section 1: General provisions concerning residence documents

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex … 123:en:PDF

In precisely the same vein, the reason underpinning the decision of the European Commission to launch infringement proceedings against Malta for the incorrect application of the free movement Directive regarding the discriminatory two-tier water and electricity consumption tariff policy was cited as follows:

‘….To benefit from reduced water and electricity tariffs, EU citizens residing in Malta need to submit specific residence documents – other means for proving their residence are not accepted by the MT authorities. By contrast, Maltese citizens need only to submit a copy of their identity card (and no proof of residence)………….'

The position in respect of Vodafone Malta was not specified.

Nevertheless, in March 2011, Vodafone Malta was reportedly insisting on deposits from non-Maltese EU / EEA / Swiss citizens.

In this regard, please see:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=70883

3) In addition, none of these additional terms and conditions regarding deposits is specified on the websites of Maltese internet/telephony/Pay TV service providers. 

4) If you experience any difficulty regarding discriminatory pricing, advise your local telephony/internet/Pay TV service provider that you are equipped to enforce your EU rights:

File a petition with The European Parliament Committee on Petitions online in any of the official languages of the European Union.

Simply click on this internet link to do so:

https://www.secure.europarl.europa.eu/a … ition.html

Is getting a service from Melita considered either an " exercise of a right or the completion of an administrative formality" ?

or both?

I don't think its a right, and administrative formality sounds more like a public sector issue.

georgeingozo wrote:

I don't think its a right, and administrative formality sounds more like a public sector issue.

The right to equal treatment:

‘……Equal treatment requirements are not limited to the government.  It applies equally to other institutions in a host member state, for example: employers, businesses, service providers, transportation providers, clubs and hospitals…..'

Source: http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2011/11 … treatment/

Byron49 wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

The right to equal treatment:

‘……Equal treatment requirements are not limited to the government.  It applies equally to other institutions in a host member state, for example: employers, businesses, service providers, transportation providers, clubs and hospitals…..'

Source: http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2011/11 … treatment/

Ha ha, I have been inundated with calls (4 this afternoon alone) from Melita saying I can have their service, despite being told by email that I have to wait for landlady to complete a form with signature and ID.
I have decided to kick them into touch and go with 'Go' who will not charge me a deposit and for us, provide a better service.
The last call was opened by the representative asking 'so you stay on Malta for the next 40 years? (I'll be dead by then but answered yes.) That call was terminated by me when I asked if we could 'just leave it' and was told 'NO' by the representative!
What fun!!
Anyways, the existing Melita service has been arranged by landlady to be stopped on Aug 31st and then Go will install on our own account only.
Methinks Melita are desperate for custom.

Went with Go from day one, had a form for my landlord to complete, and within 24 hours we had wifi, telephone and cable.  A quick phone call regarding a problem with my wifi, an appointment a couple of weeks later with an apology for having to wait so long and the fault was fixed.  They even send me a text if there is any maintenance work being done in the area that will disrupt my service.  Can't fault them at all.

We were with Go from when we moved to Malta, they accepted our passports as we had no Maltese ID at the time. They did not charge us a deposit, service was OK. However when we came to move house Go wanted to charge over €200 to move the connection in the same town and with the new place having Go outlet already!
We checked with Melita who assured us there was no charge if you moved during the contract and offered a faster broadband service, we accepted their offer and it has been an excellent service. No sales calls, just an occasional call to check everything is OK and a very fast broadband.
Have to say that TV content from both GO and Melita is rubbish and we will change our contract to broadband and telephone only next time.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

Have to say that TV content from both GO and Melita is rubbish and we will change our contract to broadband and telephone only next time. Terry

I am still considering the usefulness of TV services, given their accessibility online.
Personally, I don't care much for UK TV or any other TV for that matter, all I want is Eurosport but that is also available online.
I think I need to pick my moment to discuss and re-assess options with Lynn ;)

Morning all
Just to let you know for uk tv ie, soaps and dramas, we use filmon.tv as you can view anywhere in world (have used in Spain) and can also record programs to watch later. We actual brought a tablet to connect to tv so did not have to move/attach laptop each time we wanted to watch something. Hope this helps with your discuss/decisions.

Elise

Fusspot wrote:

Morning all
Just to let you know for uk tv ie, soaps and dramas, we use filmon.tv as you can view anywhere in world (have used in Spain) and can also record programs to watch later. We actual brought a tablet to connect to tv so did not have to move/attach laptop each time we wanted to watch something. Hope this helps with your discuss/decisions.

Elise

Thank you Elise and I can confirm that it is a good service having used it previously. I am about to try a tablet connection or a media centre pc I have.

Yes, we use filmon as well via laptop or Ipad, works great.

Terry

and its free in SD (for the time being)

toonarmy9752 wrote:

and its free in SD (for the time being)

But we also liked it because very easy to download and easy to use as not very techie!!!

All sorted. A few days work and we have all we need via FilmonTV and Eurosport Player.
Can watch it all in several rooms and 'on the go'.
Only need internet and telephone :)
Who needs 'Dreambox' or similar?
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Kryten-001_4880.jpg

redmik wrote:

All sorted. A few days work and we have all we need via FilmonTV and Eurosport Player.
Can watch it all in several rooms and 'on the go'.
Only need internet and telephone :)
Who needs 'Dreambox' or similar?
[img align=l]http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Kryten-001_4880.jpg[/url]

that depends what you want to watch Red. IPTV would seem the way to go - and am sure its they way it will do eventually. again all options are of value to an assortment of peoples requirements