New Member Update

Retired 65 yr.old from Gravenhurst Muskoka Ontario Canada,where we spend the summer months then Puerto Viejo Limon Costa Rica,from Nov- May.Have been doing this for last 6 years.Increasing cost of living & crime in Costa Rica have us looking for an alternative.Want to spend January to May/2014 in Ecuador.Looking for some input on where to rent.The rent budget is $1,000/month.Want to be close to ocean&shopping,2 bedroom,balconey/deck with pool access are priorities.Tennis is also important! Salinas & Cuenca look interesting? Any input would be appreciated.
Sincerely
Bart Jacobs

Hi Bart,

You'll probably get lots more replies and better information if you post your questions directly on the Ecuador Forum. It's quite an active forum I'm sure you'll get a reply very quickly. Also it has lots of information you might find helpful if you're considering Ecuador as an option.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi Bart!

I moved your thread to the Ecuador forum.

Regards
Armand

Hi Bart,

IMHO, Ecuador, being on the equator, has minimal seasons. However, the presence of incredible mountains creates many mini-climates. The punchline is that you can choose the weather you like year round. That being said, in our case, we cannot live on sun and sand alone. That is a sad recipe for Kahlúa and coffee at 9AM.

The Ecuadorian beaches are extraordinary, ranking with anything I have seen worldwide at any time over the last 50 years (many once-great beaches in the world aren't so great any more). They have even become the new Bali for foreign youngsters looking for waves, a 5-dollar a day lifestyle and bonfire parties on the beach each night.

But I can find all that elsewhere, if price is no object.

What simply astonished us about Ecuador was two towns (perhaps there are more though we toured much of the country before settling in) which are more vibrant and intellectually stimulating than the great international cities we have known, and far more welcoming. You simply cannot get bored. There is far too much to do!

They are Cuenca and Loja. For the arts and intellect, they have a Manhattan feeling in a better-than-Provence setting.

Welcome Bart, We live in Bahia de Caraquez on the North Central Coast of Ecuador.  Rents would not be an issue here for your budget. We live on the Ocean, on the Malecon.  Pool, and Tennis is next door at the Tennis Club.  Balcony and deck are not a problem , great views here.  Shopping, we have all you need here and we go now to Manta and or Porto Viejo for Malls.  We are waiting for our new Passeo Mall to be built here.  It is slowly taking shape on the entry to town.  Salinas is a also a nice option as the whole area is on the Ocean as well.  The climates are different near Salinas , drier, near Bahia wetter with more trees etc.  I suggest you come and drive the Ocean to check it out and see what you like. The inland areas are cooler in the Mountains and are not on the Ocean.  We experience 70 to 85 prox. temps here year round.  A bit warmer near Salinas, cooler in mountains.  There are several options down here and yes Costs are lower here.  Crime is not a real issue here.  Mostly petty thefts here.  No violent crimes.   Let me know if I can help you in any other way.  We live here in Bahia full time and are permanent residents.  We are from Seattle WA.  Living It and Loving It here in Bahia Ecuador.   Charlie

Thanks for the information, Bahia area seems to have everything we are looking for,with the type of weather we like as well.Is there an active tennis group at the club you mentioned,is it organized with fees etc. That is a huge draw for me and the pool as well....The plan is to rent something nice for January/2014 and search for something long term. We will be staying the 90 days or into 120 days if possible. From what I understand that may not be allowed without an extended visa? In Costa Rica we have to leave country for 72 hours then return with another 90 day stamp. That was not a problem as Panama was close. I'm excited about this trip that could vary well end up as the alternative to our six month stints in C R. Looking forward to more corresponding and perhaps meeting in EC.....Smiles....
Bart

Hi Charlie. In researching the tennis club in Bahia de Caraquez I understand it is a private club,with a $1,500 membership fee.Can you check out the facts on the tennis in your town,maybe a monthly fee? I could give lessons to pay my way as that's what I do here in Canada...There are courts down in Salinas but they too are private? Maybe some complexes or condos have something. Please Advise.
Sincerely
Bart