Is Dalian a noisy place?

This may seem like a strange question, but I'm wondering what the general noise level is like in Dalian. I realize that there will always be normal city noise from traffic and construction, but there is also a Naval station somewhere near Dalian Harbor, right? The last thing I want is to end up in a part of the city that has fighter jets screaming by every day!

By the way, I do a lot of audio engineering and related work, so my first priority is avoiding excessive environmental noise... it's much more important to me than being located near any "hot spots" or clubs, bars, shopping, etc... after all, Dalian is a pretty small city, and from what I saw last year on a visit, it's easy to get around.

Thanks in advance for your help, you guys!

hi,there,first of all, welcome to my hometown, i'm sure anyone who is fond of beach and sun would love dalian.
my advice to you is, avoid any location that is currently under metro construction, these spots are easy to find on line.generally speaking, it's not noisy, the night life is not as active as shanghai and beijing, with far less people, i doubt anyone would consider it as a noisy city to live in. but because of your job, you might need to rent a studio. friend of mine is a pro drummer, according to him, he can get some work done if only computer and speaker is needed, like a demo, but practising and recording, a studio is needed, also due to the size of the equipments.
a large part of dalian is hilly area like hangzhou, esp.in zhong shan district. living in a quiet area with access to all the hot spots within 10-15 mins walk or 3 bus stops is quite normal in dalian, because these places are along the main streets while residential areas are located above hills.

hopefully, you find these info helpful. enjoy dalian~

That's what I'm talking about, ginko9! Thanks for the info... it sounds to me like Dalian is truly an escape from the big city, which is exactly what I want. I will definitely look out for those metro lines, as you suggested. Also I'm going to visit Dalian again before I make my move, so I can assess things with my own eyes.

Chances are pretty good that I will end up moving somewhere outside the city, which most people might call "inconvenient" but it's a consistent level of quiet that I seek ;-)

Thanks again ginko9:D

glad i can help.
if sound proof is your top priority, lv shun(旅顺in chinese)is the best place for you. it's soooo....quiet at night that when i stayed there last time,i had to get up at 3am and take the battery out of the clock, cos the ticking sound was driving me mad! reason for that is there's a navy base in lv shun,it's like a huge sea side sanatorium.there're few local pubs or beer gardens, that's about it,dont even think about night clubs. all the decent (or half decent)clubs are in downtown dalian, talking about 1 hr drive.