DO I QUALIFY FOR A GRANT IF I CANNOT FIND A JOB IN NZ?

I am a physiotherapist and will be moving to NZ in May. I have been granted permanent residence. I am worried, as none of the agencies that are looking for a job on my behalf has come up with anything at all.

If I am unable to secure a job in a reasonable time, will I qualify for any kind of government grant to keep me going? Or will I have to return to South Africa?

Ditch the agencies and look for a job yourself. use a site like Seek.co.nz http://www.seek.co.nz/jobsearch/index.a … from=quick

There is NO government support for new migrants who are unable to find work, you can elect to live off your savings or drive a taxi/pick fruit until you find more suitable employment. Best advice of all is not to migrate until you have a firm offer of employment, in writing.

trademe.co.nz/jobs is also not bad.

Baddog

Your post is old and you may already be here.  But you need to know that it is becoming increasingly hard for physiotherapists here.  ACC has had major cutbacks in the last 6 months and both physios and OT's have been badly hit.

There is still work out there, but you might have to live somewhere you had not planned. My OT hubby has been out of work for 6 months now and our savings are dwindling fast.  We cannot move to another region for work as we were stupid enough to buy a house and I am now the only breadwinner.  At our age we have no job security either so will probably sell up and head back to the UK, a hell of a lot poorer.