South Africa to New Zealand

My family and I moved out from South Africa to New Zealand almost 3 years ago now. We all love it here and have no intention of moving back to SA. I did make one HUGE mistake with the move though, and that was to use a immigration service. This service cost us $6000.00 or R30000 at the time, and all they did was tell us exactly the same as the New Zealand immigration web site, and post a few forms off for us. It was not worth the money. The New Zealand web site contains all the information you need to know! New Zealand Immigration information site

Anyway, this was to introduce myself not have a bitching session! I am a father of two boys now 13 and 14 and a wonderful wife. I am 43 years old and am sorry I waited so long to make the move to New Zealand.

We primarily moved because the violence in South Africa had us very worried, especially since there where so many hijackings and murderous house breakins. We wanted our sons to grow up free of the worry of getting murdered every day, and free from all the bars on the windows making us live in our own little prisons. The bars where to keep the criminals out, not us in!

Since we have all been in New Zealand, we have been able to sleep at night without worry, and without having one eye open all the time. We all love it here, and have decided to make this our new home.

Welcome Artaz !
I understand what you're saying. When I went to live in Jo'burg in 1998, my neighbourhood (Morningside in Sandton) was cozy and all. I really loved it. And when I left in 2001, my street was already private with electric gates and fences. Step by step, from a cozy neigbourhood, it became an enclosed community :-(
I do miss South Africa, though.

BTW, redirecting your thread to the Kiwi board :-)

Thanks Jo Ann

Hello Artaz,

Just an intro about me:
I am from India, come to work in SA early 2007. I am also in IT, specialized in Java/J2EE having around 10 yrs exp. I am living with my wife and 3 year old daughter. My wife is also working in IT (Software Testing).

I am planning to move to NZ for the same reason which you stated in your profile. I too love country life(even though ended up living in Metro cities after my education for work).

My plan is to apply for EOI and get the PR from here itself before I make the move.
We both got Masters Degree in Computers, so our Skill and Qualification is in Long Term Skill Shortage List & absolute
skill shortage list(hope this will help me to get enough points).

Concerns:
* How is the IT market in NZ?

*Is there enough opportunities for Java/J2EE programmer?
I did check in seek.co.nz. Can we rely on those sites? I saw some 60 J2EE and 140 Java openings under Analyst/Programmer, how true is this statistics?

* Will I be able to secure a job while in SA. I heard its very hard to get the interview calls while I am abroad (if I start applying now or thru some contacts like you to arrange some interviews, since I have enough time till the PR approval).

I gone thru lot of forum and got loads of disappointments regarding NZ regarding the job market. I thought you be the better person to guide me as in the same occupation.
Expecting your valuable inputs.
Thanks in advance.

Hi

You can most definitely rely on seek. They are accurate and the amount of work advertised is true. This is one field in New Zealand where there is always work available. I have had numerous calls asking if I wanted a change, but I am happy where I am.

Unfortunately you have to be in New Zealand for interviews. Most companies are not interested unless you are physically here! I also had no luck when I was still in South Africa, but managed to secure two positions in New Zealand within a week of been here.

Personally, been Java programmers and with the qualifications you have, I do not see any problems with both of you securing a job very quickly. But do not expect any answers from agencies if you are not in the country. What you can do once you have air tickets to come over is to actually scan these and let the agency know when you will be in the country available for interviews.

Good luck

Is there jobs available for Food Technologists alos in Newzeland or not????

Hello Artaz,

Thanks very much for your advice. I am much confident now and will plan accordingly.

Thanks.

Hi umairaees

It would be best to look at this site for the skills shortage list and see if your job is one of these:
http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/Are … ortage.htm

Cheers

Hey Artaz

May I ask what is the one thing you wish you had known/brought with you etc when you moved to NZ?

We are a Capetonian family (currently living in Scotland - go figure).   We were granted our residency visas in May and are just trying to sell our house before moving over. 

Secondly as a South African - how do you find the weather? My family is cold blooded and are nervous that NZ is going to be too cold (funny if you think that this winter past we were at minus 20 here) We are going to be based in Auckland and have heard conflicting reports

Thanks
Kaz

Hi Kaz

I have been thinking long and hard about your first question, and honestly can't think of anything. We are not a very materialistic family and did not have much to start off with in South Africa. We did bring all of our computers though, and I am glad we did that. But otherwise…hmmm, we can get anything we really liked here in any of the stores, including Pronutro for the kids, Balls Chutney, (and in South African Shops)real South African Boerewors, droe wors, biltong, rusks, melk tert, almost anything really.

I too was very nervous about the weather, having lived in Hoedspruit for five years, the average winter temperature been 25, and then moving to Wellington where the winters where reportedly pretty cold. I am sure you will find the weather ok. It's not South Africa, but you acclimatise. With that said, after three years of been in New Zealand, we went up to Gisborne on holiday last year, and couldn't wait to get back to Wellington. The temperature in Gisborne was just too hot. I found this rather amusing coming from Hoedspruit. But the winter temperatures here in Wellington are definitely warmer than our last home in Centurion(Morning Temperatures). It's the middle of winter now, and although we have a lot of frost have only had two days of really cold weather, about 3 deg C in the morning. Otherwise our daytime average this winter has been between 12 and 15. Lets just say, I am used to it now.

Auckland has reportedly got better weather than Wellington, and really great summers. We went on holiday this year in January travelling through the North Island, and had great hot weather all the way.

All in all, we have grown to love our new country.

Just a tip about housing. And this is what makes Kiwi winters very cold. Ensure you get a new house that is double glazed. We did this and have great winters. Our first house we stayed in here was poorly insulated and very cold in the winter. In this house we are in now, we do not even fire up a heater in the winter. If you can not get a new house, make sure the older house has been upgraded with insulation and contains a heat pump at least.
Hope this helps!

For weather statistics in Auckland New Zealand, visit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland

and

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index. … ent=C04000

I think you are getting conflicting reports because it all depends on where you come from.  Seems like the folks from the UK think the weather is great here.  I came from a place that was warm from about April until the end of October.  Its sort of the reverse here.  Summers are short, plesant, not too hot, very dry and sunny. The winters to me are horrible.  Sems like it rains all the time. The temperature is not that low but its very windy so it feels alot colder than the air temperture. I came from a place that had very little wind so the wind drives me crazy here.  I still remember the gentleman I was sitting next to me on the plane here that said "the wind takes a bit of getting used to".  He wasnt kidding. Even after 5 years I hate this wind.

Yes I do agree, it depends a lot on where you come from. If you come from Cape Town, then the winters are pretty much the same, wet and windy. Although I think that Cape town has more wind, but that is debateable.

If you come from the Eastern Transvaal, Hoedspruit or Phalaborwa area, then you are in for a shock and it will take some getting used to in Wellington and South Island.

This is a land of many micro climates, but none are extreme. There are no -20 or +40 deg c. But if you have a look at the web site I published earlier one will get a beter understanding of the temparature differences from place to place.

Hi Artaz,

my husband has a job offer in Gisborne.  We went there for a week visit to family there in June.  It was winter, and it was cold but nothing worse that what we currently experience in Cape Town (winters seem to be getting colder!!).  Well we have booked our medicals for the 18th August.  I must say, I'm very apprehensive to move to Gisborne as it's a far cry from what I am used to.  No shopping Mall!!  Help!!  Anyway I have 2 kids a son who is 15 and a daughter who is 11.  Difficult ages to do this at but we have an opportunity that if we decline, will never get again.  What did you think of Gisborne?  It's hard and we are going but I'm really unsure... Shed some light, if you can :)

Hi TracyLee

We went to Gisborne for a holiday as my wife has family living there. It's an extremely popular destination over Christmas as the weather is hot (hot in comparison to Wellington anyway), and they have great beaches and camping sites. In General, I see Gisborne as a holiday destination. I personally think it would be great for kids. Yes there are no malls like where we live in Wellington, or in Auckland, but it sort of reminds me of the old Durban, where you could walk the length of the town and do your shopping while stopping in at some coffee shops for a morning cuppa.  The town gets kind of congested in Holiday season as everyone flocks there for their vacation, but the rest of the year the traffic is ok.

Yes it is a far cry from Cape Town, although I personally think the weather is better in some respects. Don't come to this country and try to compare everything, that does not work. Instead, come with a clean slate. With that said, both you and your hubby must want to come over. If there is apprehension with one of you then your life could become miserable.

My wife and I did it for the boys, and we have never looked back. The boys can walk to school, go to the cinema alone, ride their bikes, go to the beach alone, ride the train to the City etc, all without worry. On hot summer evenings we can sit with the front door open without any burglar bars or high walls. We can just shut the front door and go for a walk along the river or beach. We are all happy with no intention of going back to South Africa.

The kids did initially miss their friends when they got here, but they made new friends very quickly. I asked them a little while ago if they wanted to go back to SA… Their answer a resounding NO. We have just received the boys report cards, and both are excelling. This is usually the case with kids from SA.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Some of our pictures from Gisborne: flickr.com/photos/robin_julie/sets/72157604219812786/

Hi Artaz

(Moderated: No free advertising, Please, Thanks)

Hi Artaz

Are NZ employers willing to process the necessary paper work for permits etc. Im prepared to come over (my own expense) for interviews (havent had any success applying for jobs online)and hoping when i do get an offer the employer doesnt say that i must now get my own paperwork sorted. Heard its much easier for the employer to lodge paperwork than the foreigner itself - is it true or not??

Also, how do these employers feel about relocation packages???

If someone can please answer these questions, it would be much appreciated.

Thanx

Hi SA Tiger

First off, what business are you in?

I have only me one employer thus far that was willing to complete any documentation for a work permit. So the answer is really no! But, and this is a big "but", the paperwork is relatively simple and you get all the help you need from immigration New Zealand. Their web page covers everything you need to know about immigrating to NZ and all the up to date costs, forms and skills shortage lists are there, including a points indicator: visit http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ and look at the middle column.

Please remember, it is illegal for anyone to offer immigration advice if they are not licensed to do so, including employees. This is why I can only point you to the Immigration web page.

If getting a job in Wellington, then the process is quite simple to do yourself. Once you have secured a job and have the contract in hand, then you can take your work permit application and work contract down to the Immigration office and presto. If you secure a job in another part of the country, then you have to post your application in, and this takes somewhat longer, and your potential employees may have to wait a few weeks. The other option is to simply fly to Wellington for the day and submit your papers for processing. Just make sure that you have all the necessary documentation and photos and that you have filled everything in correctly. Ensure that your medicals have been completed as described by immigration NZ, that you have an unabridged birth certificate and a police clearance. If your paperwork is in order, the process is straight forward.

Don't let the paperwork scare you, it's really very easy to fill in and not that long at all.

If you have any more questions on a personal level, please feel free to contact me at: [email protected] and I will attempt to answer your question as best I can!

Have a look at the video of my family I have just put up, not too professional, but you may enjoy it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uvXybkCTcA

Cheers

Hello Artaz,

Nice video indeed ;) & on behalf of our team we thank you for your relevant contributions. Also, do not hesitate to participate & contribute in the various discussions in the New Zealand forum!

Wish you a nice day further ;)

Warm greetings

My name is Pamela and I have been living in New Zealand for 3 years. Like you I left because of the crime and I was a victim of hijacking. My family now live in Australia and I decided to settle in New Zealand. All was going well until I landed this job and from the moment I walked in I was made to feel different. Eventually after a lot of bullying, I had enough and complained to the HR manager. Because I was an outsider and they are a close group, I was accused of being a racist.

Why do they feel that because we are from SA we are all racists. I am an indian SA and in a relationship with  a New Zealander. How do we rid ourselves of this stigma.....

Hello,Artaz .
I am glad to see you here.
Many of the same problems have occurred to me.
Leave South Africa for six years, and many will think of Durban beaches, and delicious barbecue. .
Leave South Africa back to my birthplace in Guangzhou, China, are still not used to 6 years, or life in the confusion in. . . . .

Hey Artez

Looking to make my way down there in March/April.
But need some advice on the following.

Entry clearance:
Can I line up a couple of interviews from SA, secure a job and work comfortably whilst waiting on my permit application ?
nb: I've been working as my own boss in SA for 9 years( no tertiery qualification)& my wife is in retail with a national diploma. Could we attempt above mentioned ?
And
From a jobhunting point of view. As a Sales executive in the property or recruitment market (any BDM type) and my wife in retail, any recomendations on cities we should sturt looking in.

Can you recomend a company Within NZ who can provide advice on Work Permit applications and required docs eg. Birth Certificates and Police clearance and so on and so forth ?

a big thanks to anyone who read this, your reply would be massively appreciated.

Keep well and hope to see you soon.

Hey buddy ...

We (2 adults and 3 kids) came in March 2011
also from cape town.

Work for an accredited company. Had 2 interviews via internet and 2 more after we landed (yes same company). Paid for our own relocation, flight accommodation etc. Whilst still in CPT discussed  xxx amount of Salary. After arriving in NZ they now offering $20 000 p/a less... even the recruitment agent was in shock - he couldnt do anything either.

They wanted me to fly through earlier than March. I said unless they going to accommodate me in some way, my ticket says im flying on "this" specific date. Needless to say, they were not prepared to pay a dime for nothing!

After 2more interviews with them in NZ, they only offer me a salary 4 weeks later. (they try and make you become desperate cos they know your resources are drying out and the rand to dollar means shit.) I accepted their offer of $20 000 p/a less than originally discussed.

Paid for my own visa, have since applied for PR.
When that PR comes through, I am soooo OUTA THERE

For immigration advice and going through an agent, is going to cost you a fortune. There are citizen advice centres here that will assist anyone with immigration questions (free of charge).

Im no expert regarding your line of work, but, coming over with no paperwork could be challenging, yet nothing is impossible.
Check out the immigration website: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

Here you should find a lot of answers to your questions.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Hi. Also a Saffer in NZ - we moved to Auckland from KZN in July 2008. I'm writing a book about the whole scenario and getting snippets from SA2NZers.. ie Kiwisaffers...to add to the fabric and texture of my story.... would you be keen to contribute ?

Please email me at

[email protected] for more info on my book.

kind regards

Eve

Hi Robin, I've been reading all your posts, watched your youtube video too which is great by the way!

My husband Paul accepted a job offer in December and we have applied for our work permits, and have just completed (I'm hoping) medical tests for the Board – we are very overweight hence had to do an extra lab test for kidneys and ECG.  All going well, I'm guessing Paul will resign once he has his work permit, and will go over before I do. I'll be left to pack up the house and sell it – I don't suppose renting it out is an option because at some stage anyway we'll need to sell it.. and we have no family living in Gonubie or East London which is where we call home at the moment.

How did you and your wife go about the move?

What I really want to know please is if you know any South Africans who have been through the process of bringing their four legged children? Paul and I have no 2 legged children and so Max our Jack Russell has to endure all the cuddles  I've been looking at the procedure and all the tests and then there's kennelling here for 30 days prior to a very long flight, followed by another 10 days in NZ before we can fetch him. I'm really just wondering, and it'll kill me to leave him behind – but what really is the best option for him? I am really sure no one will look after him as well as we do.. and life would just be really empty without him – don't get me wrong, Paul and I are very happily married but Max as I say is a child.

What are your thoughts about bringing him (besides the fortune it's going to cost that we don't really have but where there's a will…) – South Africans have slowly become very poor. We barely have enough money to cover our monthly expenses – life is just not at all like I remember it!

Take care and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Thorsiepa,

Good luck on the immigration. It is very stressful but 100%worthwhile.Regarding your dog. Friends of ours did it in April this year and all went well with their 2 jack russels. They said they would do it again. If you are going to live in Auckland area the kennels are about 2 hours drive.

Good luck with your move and with finding a job. What kind of career is your husband in?

Please email me any questions and I will see if I can help.

Regards

Michelle

Hi all of you. Im an expat living in NZ... 3.6 years. I love folk sharing their diaspora migrant stories with me and can be emailed on [email protected] - I'm a published writer and a psychologist.
We have also started an FB group called SNS (Saffers Needing Support) -where SA expats from around the world can share and get support. We launched a week ago and already about 100 Saffer members;from USA, UK, NZ, OZ, Peru, Kenya and Saudi so far... Its wonderfully inspirational... !! eve :)

Hi we are planning on moving from South-Africa to New Zealand,which I must confess is a bit frightening, but more exciting, I can honestly say I cannot imagine living a life without constantly fearing for your life, it sounds like a fairytale!
I would like to know how the transition was, and I've heard about 'SA-support groups'for when you arrive to help you settle in, also how did you go about all your belongings? did you sell everything? or do you send some things over?

Hi all,  my name is Hannah.  My husband and I are considering to move to  New Zealand  however I would like to learn more before giving up our jobs.  We have seen a consultant who basically told us the only way we could get in is by vising on a holiday and then applying for jobs.

They services are also quite expensive which I think could be avoided .

I work for the SAPS as a Administrator in the office of fhe General.  And I have years of secretraial and PA experience  behind me.  My husband works as a Area Manager for the company called Truworths.

Is there anyone who will be able to advise me on the best possible way forward.

Thanks

I suggest you look online at the NZ Govt immigration website as to how you go about looking for a job and what sort of visa you can apply for.

Hi there i understand your feelings. 

When are you planning to leave to New Zealand   and how far is your process

What visa are u you going to apply for?

Would really like to make good friend embraking on the same destination  as myself so i wont feel so alone.

Hi to all

Artaz, could you give any advise on debt, di you have anyd whe you went over, does having debt negatively impact your chances of getitng approved for skilled migtandt or talent visa and permits? we have an excellent credit record here in S.A.

I've been told not its not an issue, and I have beent told it could be an issue..I plan to continue payments, i just want to know while still having debt, could I aply for immigration.

Thanks
Luzanne

sorry for the miss spellings I'm typing in the dark here lol

hi All,

I dont mean this to be rude or anything, I live in SA (close to Durbs) and have been considering relocation to New Zealand once  I am qualified. I wanted to ask anyone that was originally from SA "Isn't it boring in New Zealand?"

I have been on holiday there and even though its so lovely not to worry about your throat being slit every day, it really bored me to death!  Then I thought, maybe its better in the long run, for my kids sake etc. So I considered applying and did more research. I found out about bringing my pets over etc. Only to find that I am not allowed to bring my Bull Terrier x Pit Bull with me?? Well that is the cherry on the cake! I mean really now, a dog is how its owners bring him/her up to be! I find it very wrong that they single out a particular breed like that! I have always had Staffies, Bullys and Pit Bulls.. Best loving and loyal dogs around! Rotties, now thats a breed that SHOULD be banned!

It seems people there are scared of their own shadows, I don't know.. Just trying to find some more info out..

Thank you

HI all

hi all I'm a south African trying to move out of south Africa,due to the currency falling and crime unfortunate truth.

I would just like to know how and if I can move to new Zealand I have no qualifications but I have a couple of businesses and a house and land.

I would basically want to know that will I be able to start a business in new Zealand are they business opportunities there and will four hundred thousand new Zealand dollars be sufficient enough to start a new life in new zealand

Hi Ben

Yes to all your questions. but use a licensed immigration's company for your process over

Thanks for replying but how do I get a licensed immigration company or where can I get a licensed immigration company and how will they benefit me sorry for asking alot of question just really want speed up the process before the rand gets worse

Try a Google search for an immigration agent. Just remember they are expensive with no guarantee of a result.
Check out www.immigration.govt.nz for visa information

What are the process and procedure to follow
I'm a qualified mechanical technician, I'm a skilled in other fields of work aswel.please in box me with in formation regarding relocating to new Zealand,([email protected]).I'm 29 years old and married with two kids aged 3 and 4 years old.reason for move is that I would rather use my skills in a country that which is currently economically stable also have laws with rules and regulations that stand for fairness and equality for their citizens, crime rate in S.A. also plays a great influence in of decision to relocate.please as inbox me information that would help speed up our relocation.

Many kind regards

sheldon
Read my previous post as to how you can get into NZ. www.immigration.govt.nz
There is no speedy way to get here. There is a process you have to go through.

Your field of expertise may well be on the skills list so check out the website. Visas are issued on a points system so the more qualifications you have the more points you get towards the visa.

For cost of living www.numbeo.com