I have 2 Labradors

Hi All,

I am moving to Singapore and I am looking for advice regarding bringing my 2 Labradors with me. Which areas are good to stay in and that are pet friendly. I would appreciate any advice as this has now become stressful :(, I really want to bring them along.  Please help.

Thanking you in advance

Hi Ellaurie,

Welcome expat-blog!

Please can you give us more details about the dogs, are they adult, does their certificates up to date?

I suggest you to read this topic, this could help: Formalities to bring your pet in Singapore

Regards,

David.

Big dogs are not allowed in HDB (public housing, 90% of the population live in it) and unwanted in many private Condos.
Since dogs are unclean and disallowed to touch for Muslims (15% of the population), you should always keep them away from other people.
It is mandatory to have them on a leash at all times in public, and certain breeds muffled. Ask AVA (whom you have to contact anyways for the move) what the regulations are for your breed.
Singapore is not a good place for big dogs, due to the heat, restrictions and general lack of open space.

^ Dogs are unclean, really?

Ellaurie, there are a few procedures you have to follow when bringing your pet to SG. Please check this link: http://www.ava.gov.sg/AnimalsPetSector/ … uarantine/
There are also agencies which will do the job for you, however that is not necessary. As you might have gathered by now, SG is not a pet-friendly place. You will have to get a fairly big condo to have enough space for your loves to run around. Location doesn't really matter. You can take them to ECP or any other parks for walks.

I moved to SG a few months ago and I left my goldie with my dad as I don't plan to live here for long. If you are going to be in SG for a while, do bring them along. In that case, be prepared to be separated from them for a while, as there is a mandatory quarantine. You will get more info from the link I have posted.

wanderingwheels wrote:

^ Dogs are unclean, really?

The Malay word is "Haram". I translated it as "unclean". It is the second "unwanted" category in the Muslim rules, after "non-Halal" - Haram is less strictly forbidden, but should be avoided if possible!
(I am not Muslim and don't have problems with dogs. If the above isn't entirely correct, maybe one of our Muslim friends here can explain it better?)

No worries. The word 'unclean' means lacking cleanliness. My dog is never unclean, and so are the dogs who are taken good care of.

I have many Muslim friends who keep dogs at home. Anyway, thanks for making your point clear.

There are a lot of muslims who think dogs are unclean, not sure why when they eat out of a communal bowl sticking their fingers in their mouth and then back in the bowl???????

Anyway, should keep your dogs away from any person no matter what type because some are scared of dogs and might just not like them.

But I would keep mine away from Muslim children especially because from our experience here in Perth, several different Muslim kids have kicked and been mean to our little cute dog several times and the parents laugh and encourage.