Travel around Cambodia with a dog.

I am moving to Cambodia in October and I will be bringing my Jack Russel with me.  We are planning on checking out a few cities in Cambodia before deciding on where want to rent a house long term.  Does anyone know if it is generally allowed to bring a dog with you on buses and possibly boats in Cambodia; or will I be stuck taking taxis?  Would having a foldable crate to put her in make a difference?  I appreciate any advice and information!  Thank you!

Buses?
What do you mean?
You mean from town to town?
Because there is no public transportation inside cities in Cambodia.
You have tuk tuk or moto taxis.

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I meant from town to town.  Once I am in a town I can bring her on a tuk tuk or leave her in my room.  I was concerned about things like taking a bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, that type of thing.

Ok...
I have been able to check for you.
But only the line PP-SHV... It's the biggest bus company.
There is no problem for them as long as the dog is in a crate.
No additional charges.
But as there are many other companies, I can not tell you what they would say.

Wow thank you for your helpful response :D  I had a feeling that would be the case, but actually hearing that the biggest company allows it makes me feel a lot better.  I can't wait to get to Cambodia!

You are welcome. ..
just note that Cambodians are afraid of rabies.
I mean REALLY afraid.
I also have a dog.
One of my workers went to the hospital after being scratched buy my dog's nails! The doctor, of course, treated her for rabies :lol:
Just to explain you that you should avoid ANY contact between your dog and a khmer if you want a trip without worries.
Even if they seem to be friendly with your pet.

Okay thank you.  That is also helpful advice.  Does this advice also go for walking her down the street and such?  Would people there generally be scared if I was walking with her on a leash?  Of course I want to keep her safe.  I know that Westerners, and especially Americans, have a way different view on keeping pets than most people in Asia.  Although, I did meet a few people in India that kept very well taken care of friendly pet dogs; but they are certainly not the norm there.  This is definitely going to be a learning experience!

Yes.. of course. You can take your dog for a walk as long as he is on leash. This will also prevent him to be in contact with street dogs.
People are not really afraid of dogs as I said. They are just afraid 9f rabies. Some will come and try to pet your dog.
PS: Be ready for it... you will certainly see some of those dog's restaurants.. and I don't mean that dogs are the eaters :lol:

Of course I have heard all of those stories!  I am prepared to be shocked at least a few times.  That is what I would expect when I'm immersing myself in a culture so different than my own though.  Thank you for your help and advice. :D

Hello
I brought my labrador from France beginning of August and ze travelled to Kompong Cham and Kratie. We travelled zith GST to Kratie with no pbs but when we came back it was much more difficult> The driver refused to take us at 7.30 so we waited till 10h30 and the driver was ok. At Kompong Cham ze could not find a driver who accepted so ze came back by taxi (35 dollars). Ir really depends of the driver and sometimes you pay 3 or 5 dollars and sometimes you don't have to pay.

You have to know that it's going to be difficult if you're dog is used to open space. Mine's missing running jumping and playing with other dogs. Some guesthouses don't accept dogs but you can easily find another one.

Have a nice trip. Maire-Christine

Thank you for the useful information :D  Luckily my dog is small enough to fit into a collapsible crate that I have for her, so I am hoping most drivers either wont notice her or wont care since she will be inside of something.  Now once I get there and get settled in Phnom Penh I am hoping to find another ex-pat family that I can trade dog watching with for short trips to Thailand and Vietnam because I don't want to deal with boarder crossings with the dog for short trips.