Safety in Esmeraldes?

Hi all,

My name is Stephen and along with my wife and kids are moving to the Ecuadorian coast starting with Manta this September.  We will spend the first 6 months or so living in different parts of the coast  before deciding where to live long term.

We had planned to spend a week or so up in the Esmeraldes ares (we are driving from Quito) before driving down the coast to Manta. I have had a number of people warn me that the area is quite unsafe compared to the rest of Ecuador.

There is not much info out there for that area and I am wondering (since my kids are both under 10) if we should avoid going there until we have a better feel for the culture...or avoid it all together? The people warning me are not prone to do so for no reason so I tend to believe them.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Thanks.

One of EcuadorŽs top bloggers--Luna--lives in Esmeraldes. If anyone knows she does.  Maybe she will hit you up with a link to her blog.

Cool thanks, I'll look for it

I live near Quito, but go to Tonsupa often (have an apartment there). Tonsupa is a very small town near Atacames (Atacames seems to be more a party place)-  it seems to be safe to me; however, I would not walk on the beach at night or early morning.

Nards Barley wrote:

One of EcuadorŽs top bloggers--Luna--lives in Esmeraldes. If anyone knows she does.  Maybe she will hit you up with a link to her blog.

MAYBE?

Hello, We live in Bahia de Caraquez on the north central Coast.   We are permanent residents.  We are actually building in Canoa , just north of here. We visited the Esmeraldas and Rio Verde areas last year. We had our 10 year old with us.  I would say Esmerealdas and Rio Verde are beautiful to see.  Especially the Coastal areas, like Rio Verde.  Esmeraldas is more wide open than other Coastal Cities.  We had an Ecuadorian American with us.  I would have someone with you that knows the areas if you go up there.  Pedernales is smaller and has good shopping etc. The whole area up north is very beautiful.  Very lush , tropical and green. Atacames on the Beach is fun to visit.  If you stay there stay off the main malecon as they party all night long.  Jama area is nice and very green also.  Try Coco Solo north of Pedernales an EcoLodge.  They have a website.  It has a fun Beach and very rustic!  Very relaxing there!  We checked out the whole Coast from Rio Verde to Salinas and chose Bahia-Canoa area due to climate and trees!  Yet everything is available here.  Happy to share info with you if you want to know more.  If you get down here when we are here drop by! Charlie

Esmaraldes province is super safe. Never had a problem.  Now the city of Esmeraldes I would stay away from.  Plenty of places to stay south of Esmeraldes that are nice.  Bigger city Atacames/Tonsupa, more laid back smaller towns of Same or Sua.  As you head south you have Monpiche.  Now saying this we dont roam the beaches after dark or put ourselves in bad situations.
Here is a great blog about that area if you are interested. If you need any info feel free to contact me.
http://www.atruetalltale.wordpress.com

Luna2 wrote:

Here is a great blog about that area if you are interested. If you need any info feel free to contact me.

Finally

Luna2 wrote:

I knew Luna would come through with the link. And a pretty informative comment to boot.

Although I applaud Ecuador's support for Mr. Snowden, I strongly doubt that he would take asylum in Ecuador. I believe this to be a maneuver to throw the dogs off the scent, if you will. Collective disinformation for press purposes.

Being relatively familiar with both Ecuador and Russia, I cannot see how Ecuador with its small population, limited geography, and low level of surveillance, could keep Mr. Snowden concealed and alive for very long.

He is a much bigger fish than Julian Assange.

I believe we will see more press disinformation on the subject, and I believe that whether or not it is ever made public, Snowden will never leave Russia. Russia is the safest place he can ever be, they have a security system Ecuador cannot duplicate, and of course Russia is the largest country in the world. A great place to disappear forever.

But kudos to Ecuador for its offer of asylum to US political refugees.

As a side note, I hope the US doesn't decide to embargo/retaliate against Ecuador ala Iran or Cuba (I do believe it is in the realm of possibility)as that could certainly put an unexpected damper on the lives of Americans who have moved to Ecuador. American expats should begin to consider this possibility now, and prepare accordingly. It could happen.

As an American who plans a move to Ecuador in the next two years--

In solidarity,
Sukoi

Dude this has nothing to do with my thread. I'm sure there are plenty of places where others actually want your political views

Thanks everyone for the info, I think we will skip the North for now...at least until we are a little more familiar with the language, culture etc.... Definitely going to head up there in the next 6 months or so.

What is best, easiest, cheapest way to check out all areas of the coast, say north of Manta?

Buses

We were just talking today about setting up small groups of Expats who want to see the Coast and letting them share the costs of a rental car, rooms etc. to check out the Coast together. Maybe we could start putting together groups so they can keep the costs down and feel safer with fellow expats with them.  Will have to coordinate dates  etc. 
Living It and Loving It here in Bahia, Ecuador
Charlie

Hey Charlie,

That sounds like a great idea,rent an 8-10 seat van and go searching.Just one thing wouldn't we fare better all around with at least one person that speaks spanish?
My wife and I are coming to visit you in a few weeks so we will see you then.

Kurt

GOLEAFSGO wrote:

Just one thing wouldn't we fare better all around with at least one person that speaks spanish?

That will be true in any Latin American country, of course.

But I assure you Charlie knows how to speak Spanish :)

And if he doesn't feel quite as comfortable with his own Spanish, he'll know someone to send on the van with you all who does.

Wish I could jump on this van myself. Maybe you'll make this an annual event, Charlie?