Kinshasa

Hi everyone

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Kinshasa. I have concerns and questions.
1.Do you have supermarket that sell international food?
2.Where are most imported goods come from Europe or Africa?
3.Around Gombe is it safe to walk and drive at night?
4.The maids/nannies do they speak English or just French?
5.Cable tv which channels it covers mostly?
6.In Gombe do you have electricity and water shortage?
7.The American school does it have good reviews?
8.What activities do you have for kids 3yrs,8yrs, and 15yrs?
9.Any good restaurants
10. what is the cost of a car eg Land cruiser-Toyota?
11. In Kinshasa do you have lots of spas, coffee shops , clothing shops from Europe?

Hie Neeson,

I am from Kinshasa but currently out. I hope a few details here will be helpful as you consider moving to Kinshasa.

There are supermarkets that sell international food. It depends with the type of food you especially want and there are ways to get it around. Most of the imported goods in Kinshasa come from Europe, just a few things from other African countries and China. Products from Europe are of good quality.

Gombe is a safe place to walk and drive at night, its just about knowing when to be in, but it's one of the safest place you can be in Kinshasa. (I live there!)

The maids speak lingala and French, maybe they can learn English along your stay. For the TV, you'll need a satellite dish and the channels depend on your subscriptions and you can get hundreds of stations from abroad.

You have assured water and electricity in Gombe. Very few cases of water or electric shortage. It's one of the high class residential area in the city.

There are several activities for kids around, fun sports, horse ridding and lots of other games, maybe if you you have certain interests i could help you figure it out.

There are good restaurants in the city covering food from various traditions and countries and you'll always be catered for.

The car cost depends on whether you are buying a new one, imported or used vehicle with prices being different. You might expect to get a good working car from around USD 5000, there are several offers online but new ones could cost from around USD 15 000.

Kinshasa doesn't have a lot of coffee shops or spas, there are a few that are mostly accessed by foreigners since its not really part of the culture there but you have a lot of clothing shops from Europe.

I hope this is helpful and that you have a good time planning for your time in Kinshasa.

Albert

Thank you for your information really helpful for me.:)

What does it require to bring a maid from abroad?

I saw your post and wondered what responses you received? I will being be moving to Kinshasa next year with my 11 year-old and 14 year-old.
I have been to Kinshasa twice for shorter stays on business and stayed in a guest house.
Have you moved yet?
Would you mind sharing some information with me?
Sincerely
Anney Morris
[email protected]

Hi
I am sorry I have not move yet, most probably will happen in Jan.

Hi Neeson,

Stumbled upon ur post so I figured why not !
So here goes... I have only been here in kinshasa gombe for a week now .

So the answer to your 1st questions whether there are supermarkets here  is a definite yes ...I am working as a restaurant manager and alot our food stuff is bot from supermarkets ... most products come from europe and are of high quality ... on the expensive side but yes def available..

Answer to ur 2nd question is a No ! gombe is generally known as a safe place but the are plenty of petty muggers here known as (shaygay) they will forcefully take money or ur mobile off you... the congolaise are generally not violent by nature so they do not pull a gun or a knife on you .. but if your walking or running in areas which are highly guarded like near the presidents house which is overlooking the congo river (beautiful!) There is a 3km stretch there where expats go for walk all the time..also a few areas where ministers stay or where embassys are...

no maids or nannys speak any english ..u will be lucky if u find one tht does speak a little

Water and electricity are fine ... rarely have issues specially in gombe ...sometimes its bad when there are thunderstorms ...

Cable is available and plenty of channels but again they are expensive .. a basic package cud start at 50$ and go up depending on channels you require.

Sorry I dont knw about schools yet ... but will let you know if I come across useful info ..

I dont think there are spas here except maybe in hotels ... like grand hotel or memling (not sure)

Not sure about clothing but I did see a zara store the other day .

Decent car would be anywhere between 10k to 15k .

Hope the info was useful ... if you need more let me know ...till then cheers... god bless

Hi

Thank you for the information and yes it is very useful. One question! Is it easy to get a working permit/visa? I was planning to bring my nanny, she is from Philippines?

nope no issues with getting a visa for your filipino maid ...
if you intend to bring her with you well then you apply as you have applied for yorself and if your husbands company is the one that has applied for your visas then you may ask them to for applying hers to ... if you intend to come down first an then apply for your maids visa once your down then that shudnt be an issue either ... this place is very very corrupt there is nothin thts imopossible with a lil greasing of the hands of the responsible authorities..

cheers .

Also would like to correct my earlier statement about buying a car ... i rechecked and it turns out a used suzuki vitara or toyota fortuner cud cost you upto 20k ...