Life in Lubum

After 10 days in Lubumbashi, I can report with a great deal of enthusiasm about this City, which is a lot better to live in than anticipated. Everything one would need is available here.  You just have to know where to look and not be afraid to ask.  My French is very bad, but despite that, the local people are friendly and extremely willing to help. Price in the more obviously Western shops are very high - the same goes for the smarter restaurants that are frequented by Expats. But if you are willing to shop in the local market places and eat in the smaller restaurants, it is not bad at all. Bakeries stock fantastic breads and pastries and there are good pizza and Indian restaurants around.  If anybody needs advise on where to eat and shop, please feel free to contact me:-). On the other hand, what I do find difficult to source, is a job for myself as an 'expat-wife'.  Altough I am a very experienced Operations Manager in the Hospitality field, there does not seem to be anything, however small that I can do - even on a partime basis.  If anybody out there can assist with advise on this matter, I will be very happy. Every place in the World has good and bad points.  What is important for us as expats is to embrace the changes that we actually choose in coming to a foreign country and make the most of our time there. looking forward to contact from others in Lubum :-)

Hello meganinafrica.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Aurélie

Hi Megan
I am a South African christian who is being lead to the DRC through many messages.
I feel that I will be helping women, that have been abused or widowed and wondered if you know of any organisations there that may need help?
Are you still living in Lumbumbashi?
Thank you so much for hearing me out!I am so excited to be embarking on this journey.
warm wishes
Fiona Koch
Durban
0027 83 6822524

Hi Fiona
I think you need to get the stars out of your eyes for a moment :-)
Although Lubum is the 2nd biggest City in the DRC, there is not much in the way of support for starting up new organizations or even continues support for existing ones. Money from the Katanga Province all gets sent to Kinshasa - one of the main reasons why we had some furious protests last week.  Life here is tough and VERY expensive. Unless you arrive with a few thousand dollars in your pocket, or some friendly people to stay with that will assist you in every day survival, you will experience some hardships. Expect to pay between 3 and 10 times (on avarage) mor on stuff like your daily bread, veggies, fruit and milk and up to 100 times more on 'luxury' items like meat. All this untill you have scouted around, made some friends and explored the local market.
That being said, there is a lot of work to be done, education wise, up here.  There are always abused children and women everywhere in the World. There seems to be a perception that the DRC is 'war torn' and yes, there is a lot of fighting and child soldier exploitation, rape, etc happening, but this is mostly in the rural areas or the Eastern Province. From Lubumbashi there are no roads that can be easily travelled or railwaay lines in a working condition and flights are few, far between and very expensive.  There is also a limitation of travel between provinces - you need written permission and need to travel with your passport, even for domestic travel and even between towns.
Corruption is the biggest evil here. If anybody offers you assistance, there will be a price to pay somewhere along the line, so just be careful.
I know about one church organization that works particularily with street children. It is run by a Brittish Couple and they are very good people.  There is also an English Church who is interested iin running a training program for people to do what you intend to come and do.  Herewith a contact number:
Debbie +243 811634361 - the Children's program - she will also put you in contact with the Church.
They have been here for far longer than me and can give you much better advise.
Good luck...learn French or Swahili before you come!
Regards
Megan

We went for lunch at the Bush camp yesterday. On Sundays it is a buffet menu where you select the meat you want, it is then grilled and you can add salads and side dishes from the buffet counter. Dessert to be ordered and paid for from a 'menu'. The variety was o.k. and although it is advertised as 'traditiona Congolese' food, we found it to be very average African food. No special cooking methods, no special spices, just a 'home cooked' meal. But it was o.k... HOWEVER!! THE SERVICE!! When is Africa ever going to get service right?? One pays for a day out, to be entertained, to eat well and to have an all round pleasant experience, apart from good food. Service is at last worth 50% of your experience. Or it can spoil your whole outing and cause you not to want to return to the place.  So thanks Bush Camp, it was an average food experience, but we will not be back

Hi Megan
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply...I really appreciate that...and am very grateful for your quick response!
I dont have stars in my eyes :)..after all, why would a widowed, single white woman of 54 want to leave her wonderful surroundings in a blessed country and her family, to go to the DRC? :)..but I do know I will be able to spread my love of God in some way in the DRC..
Do you have Debbie's email by any chance?

You seem a little disillusioned living there.I am really sorry you feel that way and I wish you renewed appreciation and excitement for what I heard is a country of remarkable people.May beautiful people cross your path and show you why you were sent there.There is a reason you are there.
Looking forward to being in touch
warm wishes
Fiona

Hi Fiona
No, I am not disillusioned at all - just trying to make you forewarned which is forearmed. I have lived in many African Countries and have only become disillusioned with one thing:  the price that Africa is not shy to put on bad excuses for delivering bad service and products. As you do, I too have a dream.  Mine is not a noble as yours :-) Mine is to change the mind-set of fellow Africans to believe that they are good enough! To believe that they do not need America or Europe or the Emirates or SA to show each Country what particularly perfect 'make-up' they have so that they can exceed in making their own Country a place they can be proud to life and work in, instead of for ever wanting something else.
You will soon enough find the exat spot you are needed - it might not be Lubumbashi, it might be in the Eastern Province or Oriental Province. But you will need support and assistance.
Unfortunately I thus far only have Debbi's phone number, but will try to get an e-mail address for you. Communications here are often interrupted by the weather - it is rainy season now :-)
If your calling is to be here, I wish you the best of luck.  L'ishi is not a bad place.  Just like Durban, Cape Town, London, Washington, it has its own worries and woes and bliss and beauty - you will find it all here :-)

Hi Megan
Lovely to hear from youb again...thank you so much! I am on a mission to establish contacts in the DRC, and you are the only one I have so far, besides one translator...so thanks!
I can hear in your writing that you are passionate about service delivery, personal confidence and upliftment, which are also passions of mine...so our causes are pretty much the same :)
Were you involved in hotel operations? I am a hotelier myself, currently running a country estate near Howick.
had you thought of doing some customer service training in Lubum?

I also agree with you that Lubum might not be where I'm headed, but it has been a start...only God will know that! I am very drawn to rivers and waterfalls, so the Orientale province might be the one...have you been there yourself? Kisangani looks very pretty..
I would love to hear how you ended up there and where you came from?I'm sure you have some great stories to tell about the DRC too! I have basic french so will improve on that and see where this leads me..looking forward to hearing from you!
Have a lovely day
Fiona

Hallo again
On my way to Pweto on the banks of Lake Mwero today. There are 2 mines and a new hospital that we are visiting.  A new hospital also opened in Kisangani 2 days ago, which I am hoping to see before the end of March. Will upload some pics and info when back. A friend of mine is a doctor (Chief Medical Advisor) for a large Mining Company and quite involved in developing hospitals all over the Country.
Bakavu and Goma in the Eatern Province is beautiful (as far as surroundings are concerned) but this is also where the Rebels are doing their thing at the moment, so not advisable for travel right now.
Have been in Hotels, restaurants, facilities management all my life! I am doing hospitality training for some friends in L'ishi right now and hope to get more people and places involved/interested so that it can expand into a business at some stage. Right now, it is a sideline so that I can first travel with my better half and see more of the Country.
I will assist where I can and keep my eyes and ears open for possible ventures that you can get involved in.
Talk again soon :-)

Hi Megan
It really sounds like you get around there, wow!I was interested to hear your connection to the hospitals..because so much ministry can be done there.Please do let me know what you find in Kisangani...and any specific help they need!
I can also help you expand the training business too!
Travel safe...and chat soon :)
Fiona

hi megan
great to read your postings about lubumbashi. im also in lubumbashi, i run a project for street children. it would be great to meet up and hear more about how you are settling in!
ian

Hi Ian
I admire people like you! While in Zambia, I did quite a bit of work with street children (mostly AIDS orphans) and it absolutely broke my heart to leave them behind. Send me a private mail on [email protected] then we can arrange to meet when you are available.
Good luck!
megan

Hi Fiona
I don't know how your plans are coming along to come to the DRC? I have met Ian Harvey, who is in charge of the street children projects here in Lubumashi.  If you are interested, please contact him on this forum - he also subscribes and send me your person e-mail address, then I will bring you into further contact with him.
Regards
megan

Hi Ian
There is a lady called Fiona (from SA)on this forum who is interested in doing work with street children in Lubumbashi, if you would like to talk to her.  I have spoken to my friend Ora and also to Lilian (who I copied on the private mail to you) and both of them are very keen to meet you when you are back in L'ishi :-).
I alo have a vey exiting new project that you will be interested in.  It is a UK based company who is trying to establish eco-growth of crops in the DRC to enable the nation to feed themselves. I am 'working' on them to do something with you...
Have a nice visit
megan